General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Winter storage opinions

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2011, 06:54 PM

Winter storage opinions

I have the usual list of tasks prior to putting the 64 to rest for the winter...most of the great ideas came from all of you!! Thanks.
Curious about the tranny fluid, any opinions on this.
Is there anything trusted out there for the tranny fluid...or just leave it alone.
My fluid is in good shape and tranny runs fine...concerned about mositure.
Old October 30th, 2011, 07:37 PM
GM Enthusiast

I have never "winterized" a transmission before. Transmission fluid is not hygroscopic so it does not attract moisture. As long as your fluid is at the right level and clean, I would not worry about it.
Old October 30th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Leave it alone.

They work fine when left for 20 years or more.

- Eric
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:45 AM

Geez...
Cannot believe winter is approaching so soon.

Change the engine oil, keep the tires aired up to 35psi (assuming you have radials) and she will be fine.
Old October 31st, 2011, 06:59 AM
Cutlass Lover

I never mess with Teepo's tranny fluid. I have the oil changed, check the coolant temp, and add Stable to the gas. Cover her up and there she sits. I do start her every 2 - 3 weeks through the winter though, and let her run awhile.
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:21 AM

Sounds good...one thing I can do fine is to "leave things alone"
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by navvet
Sounds good...one thing I can do fine is to "leave things alone"
HA! I wish I could!! Something is always dirty or scratched, or in need of resto...........
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:16 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
HA! I wish I could!! Something is always dirty or scratched, or in need of resto...........
We know... WE KNOW !!

- Eric
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Why would you change the oil, just to let it sit all winter??? I would change the oil in spring! On top of what others have said, disconnect the battery!

I used to place a box of baking soda in my show car when it was covered to absorb any odd oders over the winter!
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:05 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Why would you change the oil, just to let it sit all winter??? I would change the oil in spring! On top of what others have said, disconnect the battery!

I used to place a box of baking soda in my show car when it was covered to absorb any odd oders over the winter!

dirty oil can be corrosive, I change it and start the car to allow the new oil to hopefully coat everything.

I also throw a couple pie tins filled w charcoal in the front and rear to hopefully absorb moisture in the interior
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
dirty oil can be corrosive, I change it and start the car to allow the new oil to hopefully coat everything.
Also any contaminents in the old oil will have lots of time to settle to the bottom of the pan, causing sludge buildup. Unless of course the car is run periodically.
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:13 PM

Winter storage is always a big topic.I do change oil, disconnect battery, top off all fluids,fill tank and add stabil and Marvel Mystery oil and run @ 20 miles. I place dryer sheets in engine compartment (Rodents hate the smell!!) and in interior. I place a tarp under the entire car and bring tire preasure to 35lbs. I leave windows open a crack and do the same with the trunk lid.and just prior to storage I give the old gal a good washing in and out. Then I count down the days until she runs again in the spring. AND I HOPE IT AINT LIKE THE WEATHER THE EAST HAS HAD SO FAR!!
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:48 PM

In addition to above, I remove my NOS washer and coolant jugs (10 -15 yrs old and still look new) and the OAI flapper. Why subject plastic to the cold when you dont have to . I'd also hate for mice to attack the still original foam seal. I also sometimes plug the tailpipes, but who knows if I'm keeping moisture out or trapping it in?
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:49 PM

Ahhh winter storage, this coming sunday for me. All I've ever done is swap on a set of wheels/tires that I don't care about flat spotting, change the oil, check fluids, add stabil to the full tank and pull the battery once its parked where its gonna sit. Normally on a wood floor in a pole barn. Covered of course. No issues in 12 years.
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:26 PM

A friend of mine shook carpet fresh on his carpets when spring came the powder had absorbed water and left stains on carpet...sooo don't do it.
I cover my air filter holder so mice dont get in the air filter. Again I toss a dozen dryer sheets in engine compartment. Last year I know mice got in the garage but left the car alone.
I also while it is still warm out remove parts and equipment I can work on all winter, when spring arrives they are done and ready for the new year.
NOW the wish list begins...new carb,shocks and ball joints and now it seems from all of you a new power steering pump!!
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:43 PM

hHey NaVVet, how often do you change the dryer sheets? And have you ever tried any other products, I got some 'Cab Fresh' from Menards, and put it a couple of weeks ago...I actually had to add traps w/ peanut butter to catch the mice, stuff smells great to me but didnt do nufffin, FYI.
Old October 31st, 2011, 05:58 PM

I just bought a dehumidifier for my garage.And I always have mouse traps set.Why doesn't some one make a mouse trap with an electric eye,when the mouse breaks the beam snap! How many times have you all found a trap still set and no bait. I even polish the "trigger"and add peanut butter as a lube and still some times it doesn't go off.
railguy
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:03 PM

As far as the dryer sheets...buy the name brand! (They Last almost two months) They work in two ways; the smell and the powder on the sheet. I place them on the ground below engine compartment,the trunk,on the floor below the dash and some on the package tray. Most important toss a bunch over your ignition wires and on inside fenders .
I do tape off the air filter holder inlet BUT still place a few on the air filter element.
I stored a small tractor and covered it with a tarp outside for 6 months....the mice ate parts of the tarp but not the tractor that had the dryer sheets on it.
HEY RAILGUY TRY THIS: Peanut butter on a stick across the top of a small dish with tranny fluid. They will drink the fluid and be dead in minutes! CAUTION:: Keep your pets away from it they WILL drink it...They love the sweet taste.
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:37 AM

I clean the interior and exterior spotless
Fill tank and add a quart of Marvels and Stabil
Change oil
Disconnect battery
Lightly lube carb linkage and coil connections

I go for a good run and park it with the E brake off. I put 4 moisture absorbing containers inside the trunk(2) and interior(2) and cover it with a light dust cover. Over the winter the moisture absorbing containers barely suck up any moisture. My garage is unheated and detached, nice cold storage. Springtime is when the moisture begins to accumulate in the absorbers. I occasionally open the garage window on a sunny breezy day. Come spring after rain has cleaned the streets of salt I reconnect battery and crank it over. It starts on the second crank, let her warm up then go for a ride. Unless I have to move it I never start it over the winter. Total duration is about 3 and a half months.
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by navvet
HEY RAILGUY TRY THIS: Peanut butter on a stick across the top of a small dish with tranny fluid. They will drink the fluid and be dead in minutes! CAUTION:: Keep your pets away from it they WILL drink it...They love the sweet taste.
I thought the green antifreeze was the swett tasting stuff...

Try those "Catchmaster" glue boards for mice - a nice glob of peanut butter right in the middle will lure them in! Some are pre-scented.
They live up their name. I catch mice, lizards, bugs, snakes, and the occasional bird or neighbor (which I set free with a little cooking oil).
Old November 1st, 2011, 06:34 AM
Cutlass Lover

Teepo usually sits in our unheated garage out back for the winter. When I park her out there for the winter, I park her on a tarp, clean her good, put lots of Bounce dryer sheets inside, also in the engine compartment and in the trunk, and cover her up. I don't take her battery out. I usually go out and start her every 3 weeks or so and let her run for 25 minutes or so. I turn on the heat and the AC for awhile, move through the gears, and move her a little bit each time. I haven't had any problems with her at all.

I don't know if she'll make it out to that garage this winter or not, as I have to drive her across the yard to get there, (no driveway) and the yard is waaaayyy too wet now!! Right now she's still in the house garage, which has one heat vent in it. I've cleaned her and filled her with Bounce dryer sheets and covered her. If it dries up and I can move her, I'll just uncover her and take her back there. She's all ready, lol!

I guess everyone is different with what they do for storage.