General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Winter - best season to buy classic convertible ?

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Winter - best season to buy classic convertible ?

$(KGrHqZ,!l!E6B9DTN!lBOlQmVB9Vg~~60_12.jpg

Gol0909124821-1-003.jpgSince selling my '75 LeSabre convertible at Fall Hershey, the money is burning a hole in my pocket and I've been actively searching for several months for another B-Body convertible to add to the collection( despite my better judgement). I've identified two potentail Olds buys ( 74 and 75 Delta ( 75 pictured)) and a Chevy (74 Caprice ( pictured)).
I'm really torn about pulling the trigger so early in the season figuring the dead of winter will bring further buying opportunities because of stagnant economy and seemingly endless cold/dready weather.
My gut tells me to wait but you all know how it is when the fever hits. I need a project to keep me motivated this winter.
What's the experience of others here about the timing of the buy ?

Last edited by fmbjogger; November 26th, 2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Always room for one more

Oh how I know what you're talking about with the fever. I'm in the fever right now, trying to find a Cutlass convertible. Once it gets ahold of you, you want to buy everything in sight.

I think we may be past the time to be buying convertibles. There are a few here and there, but now that the top down season in most of the country is pretty much over, people who haven't sold their cars by now have most likely put them away, thinking they'll sell them in the spring when the weather is nice and people are more likely to get convertible "fever."

That being said, there were plenty for sale at the Turkey Run in Daytona Beach this past week. And I do see one for sale here and there, so my advice to you is take this time to figure out what you really want, or maybe more accurately, what you don't want, and keep looking.

Good luck.

Mike
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM

I don't think you can predict much about the state of the market at any particular time of the year. Sure, people are thinking more about buying when spring rolls around because of the approaching warmer weather, but that also means more competition for whatever's being sold. Right now, there might be fewer cars on the market, but there's also likely to be fewer buyers.

What's the reason for not buying either of the two cars you mention? Do you think their prices will fall? They might, but they might not. If the price drops, they might get snapped up before you get a chance to make an offer on one.

I had a '75 Delta 88 convertible back in the 1990s. It looked just like the one you're considering.

It was a great car. I sold it (in 2001) because it was time to think about sending kids to college. Where is this red one you're looking at? Maybe it's the same car. Probably not as I see that the one you're considering doesn't have spoke wheelcovers.

I think you should just buy the car you want when you find one that you like and that fits with what you're looking for. Don't worry about the time of year or things like that. You can drive yourself nuts trying to second-guess the market.
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:18 PM

"That being said, there were plenty for sale at the Turkey Run in Daytona Beach this past week. "

Thanks, Mike. I'm in Fla now but in Ft Myers ( 4 hrs south of Daytona) and wanted to make the Turkey Run but events conspired against me. Any nice Olds converts there ?
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:26 PM

"I had a '75 Delta 88 convertible back in the 1990s. It looked just like the one you're considering."

Thanks ,Jaunty. That is one pretty car. I hope the kids appreciate your sacrifice. I'd love to park that beautiful car in my garage....sweet !
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by fmbjogger
I hope the kids appreciate your sacrifice.
I doubt they ever made the connection, but I don't blame them. I actually sold it two years before the oldest was ready to go off to school. I literally received an offer I couldn't refuse, so I didn't. I wasn't sure how easy the car would be to sell when the time finally came, and I couldn't argue with the price offered. The buyer flew to Columbus, Ohio and drove it back home to Illinois (outside Chicago, I believe).
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Always room for one more

Plenty of everything

Yes there were several nice Olds convertibles. Most were priced in the stratosphere. I expect prices to have come down a bit today, though I'm back home now.

Cars that come to mind are a white 71 Delta with wire wheels, a blue 69 Delta that looked brand new, several 74/75 cars, most with white interior. And I did see a red 75 LeSabre convertible.

Also saw a couple 76 Eldorado convertibles. A 74 or 75 Caprice convertible, some 40s/50s era Ford convertibles, and a blue 50-something Mercury that was about a city block long.

I could write volumes about what I saw in the two days I was there, and not come close to touching on it all.

Mike
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:16 PM

Eric sold his last month, but I really liked it. If your looking for a project this may give you an idea what prices run. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nvertible.html