General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Who is going to Detroit Autorama in Feb

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2012, 03:26 PM

I have returned to California after the show. My car will be home next week. The people of Michigan were friendly, partied like rock stars, loved their hockey team and cars. I was able to meet Jason the "window sticker guy" and many others. Found an original owner 1970 w-30 convertible 4 speed guy and an original owner 1970 Black w-31 car too. They both beat me in the number of years they owned their cars by a few years. Still 33 years is a pretty good run with my car.

The response to my car was great. I met GM executives and people that built the cars for Oldsmobile in the 1970s. The most common comment is why are the fenderwells red plastic. I had a ball at the show. The Kryta brothers James and John can restore cars like nobody else and I had to be next to the green 1972 w-30 4 speed 2011 Autorama champion and a crazy great black GTO convertible belonging to John. I think the old bucket of bolts held her own and the three of us presented some of the finest restored cars around.

The Ansen Sprint wheels were received mixed by the crowd. Many didn't like the aluminum wheels in general, but when they understood that my car was presented day two as it spent its whole life they seemed to understand. The in the know loved the Ansen wheels and the vintage 60 series Goodyear Polyglas tires. When I told them I owned the tires for 35+ years and they were original they seemed to get it. The car looked great with the wide tire stance on the rear and taller tires on the front. Poverty caps were only used to get my car to the tire shop for the Hansen wheels.

Thanks for the hospitality especially to the folks at Inline Tube that helped make a long trip to take my car back where it was born a great experience. I will now retire the car from the show circuit but feel I have shared a cool piece of Oldsmobile history with the people that enjoy muscle cars to this day. Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
autorama.jpg (76.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by leepear; February 27th, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old February 27th, 2012, 03:50 PM

nice to know you made it home safe Lee ,and had a great time .Hope the car travels well also ,mabey you will drive it a bit more now,it was a very good presentation,which car won your class anyway?was it you?
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:03 PM

Here is a youtube of the setup of the display. I am the one with his hands in his pockets most of the time. Thanks to the guys at Inline Tube for all their help especially James, John and Dan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3-ab...5LSGSVJY6T8uqL

Lee
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:00 PM

Good to hear you had a good trip home Lee.

Here are pictures of the CO member's cars that were at the show.

Let's start with Lee's.

And here is TK-65's.

Old February 29th, 2012, 05:41 AM

Thanks for that photo of the drivers side, I couldnt get a good pic of it on Sat because there were so many people walking by.
Old February 29th, 2012, 06:27 AM

Jason, I was down a few times but didnt find you by the car. Your car was really hard to find the first time because it was the only car tucked into a cubby hole. Nice rat rod Olds theme. Glad I got to meet you and thanks for you contribution to making the most accurate window stickers available. Lee
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:13 AM

I was the last one in on Thursday night, had to wait for the big door to close before I could park it there. It was a real last minute thing, so I couldnt complain about the spot.

That car has went from rotting away in Ohio, to a Jerry Heasley "Rare Finds" article in MCR, to the Detroit Autorama, all in the last two years.

Hope to have it upstairs in a few years.