General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wheel/Tire and off-set suggestions/recommendations

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2015, 09:34 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Wheel/Tire and off-set suggestions/recommendations

Time for new rubber for the red 68. Problem is the current 235/70R/14s are no longer available. My only choice is 225s. Even smaller but close to the OEM it once came with. Not enough tire IMO...The car currently has SS3s off a 73. Id like to replace these with 15" SS3 bolt on caps as I like the look of the red SS3s.....But its impossible to find 15" SS3 bolt ons as they were only made for about a year and a half in 73-74. Like looking for hens teeth!

I've decided its time to step up to 15s. I'm going with Wheel Vintiques SS1 repros and red lines.

1. Anyone running the Series 52s from Summit (Wheel Vintiques)?
2. Are they chineasium?
3. Did they balance ok? Minimal run-out? Ive heard bad and good.
4. Are they quality?

I'm thinking 15x7s with 4.375 back spacing. I want to replicate the look of the black car in the attached pic. These are likely the mid-late 80s all chrome SS3s. Anyone know what the offset is on these(or those era wheels)?
Anyone had any experience with wheel vintiques?
Anyone offer a glance of different off-sets on a 68-69. Not sure I want to go any larger on the off-set as Id like to retain some of that 68-69 look yet add just a touch more than it has now to fill out the rear. Might consider smaller off set in front and little more in the rear but then I cant rotate.
Any and all recommendations welcome. I'm gonna pull the trigger soon as the 27 year old tires are preventing me from driving this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
68cover.jpg (183.9 KB, 26 views)
My 68_1.jpg (98.5 KB, 22 views)
My 68_2.jpg (88.8 KB, 31 views)
Old June 4th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Administrator

I would think those would work fine.
Old June 4th, 2015, 10:52 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Eric, I could go the Torque Thrust D or Cragar SS look! But this one needs the OEM treatment as its nearly down to the bolts n hose clamps. Only the in/out colors, wheels and discs are not correct for "day one." It originally had 6" drum SS1s with K code outside with a white top and pearl bench inside. The pearl is going back in soon, but with the buckets. Are they ever finished?
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:03 AM
72 Olds CS

No love for the snap on Ctr cap ss3? Much easier to find and 15x7as well.

Those summit wheels look great and have all positive reviews they would look awesome on your car...which already looks great !
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:22 AM

Sea Five just finishing a 67, but he has the SS1's with redlines. There is someone else I think thats just finishing a 67, that I specifically asked where he got his SS1's. He got them from Summit, and apparently has no problems. I just couldnt find the post.
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:36 AM

I have a set of the SSIs that I ordered from Summit. No complaints about them. I have them on a 70 Cutlass Supreme.

Don W
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:39 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Thanks...this ones been a labor of love for nearly 30 years. So clean I didnt need to pull the body off. Originally a Santafe Springs Ca Z code car. 99.9% rust free. I'm owner #3. Many have come n gone but this one wont.
No love for the clip on centers. Dont like the short cap nor the raised center section look.
The reviews are mixed. Some say a lot of run out hard to balance other say great. Im real picky and the wheels need to be arrow straight and take a good balance or they are junk. Also need to know the country of origin. No off shore wheels on any of my vehicles, same goes for tires. JUNK and a dangerous gamble.
Old June 4th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Cars are never finished, just long term projects. Wheel Vintiques has been around for a long while. They make quality wheels, I think you'll be very happy. The Redlines will make them pop. Can't wait to see them on your car.