General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What's up with"none olds powered?

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2011, 09:33 PM

What's up with"none olds powered?

I've not visited this site regular in a while,because of things i could'nt control.Seems like after reading some posts there,its about a 50/50 decision on who likes it ,or not.I'd like to think you guys voted on this subject,right?Any how its not my buisness.I havent been here long enough to have a say.I would be interested in how you came to the idea of letting c***y fans in on our "classic oldsmobile" site.I'm sorry i tried to resist the urge to post an opinion,but i feel very strongy against the idea.Sorry if some one is offened.I just had to state my feelings on this one.I also ,agree that since there is a forum for"non-olds ".Leave them be.I'd suggest they find another site .Sorry ,I,m with BIG JERR,we bleed oldsmobile blue!Later,BO
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:28 AM

They have their own area. And i just don't go to it. The reason behind it is sound from a price stand point it is cheaper to build a chevy motor. And the purist are getting old and leaving there cars to be butchered by folks who care less about originality. Just wish they would build Ramblers. hehe.
Old July 26th, 2011, 02:31 AM

Its for a more "pro-touring" oriented kind of build. I can understand not liking a 454 or a chevy 350 in a Cutlass but LS motors have no brand ties at all, they're just GM, so in my oppinion there's nothing wrong with dropping one in a Cutlass, especially if it gives you more power, more reliability, better fuel economy, every-day driveability, cheaper and vaster parts selection, easier manual swap, none of that BOP bellhousing annoyance, etc...Now dont get me wrong, if you've got a numbers matching 442 you better not rip that thing apart, but if you have a clone? Why not? Its fun, its unique, its obviously got its advantages, just hot rod it and have fun.

Really i dont think a vote is necessary for it, if a subject gets big enough the easiest way to deal with it is to give it its own place. Not only does it clean up the site but it gives someone like you (a purist obviously) a helpful notice saying "dont go here, you most likely wont like this" (like 72 cutlass455 pointed out) and gives hot rodders the same helpful notice saying "if you need help, have questions, or are just interested, check this out". Honestly no matter which side anyones on there's pros to it. If you're for the swaps then you've got a plethera of info to keep you occupied for a long time, if you're against it then you know your car is just that much rarer and that much more special which is something to be proud of
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:59 AM

NO there was NO vote! For some reason the Mods felt like it was good for the site to put in a non Olds section. But since then the site has gone down hill. Lots af arguments and it has lost some of the long time members. To me its sad i liked the site alot more before the non Olds powered section.

But who cares about the members, we have an LS section now.

Last edited by f-85; July 26th, 2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:38 AM

Not lookin to ruffle any feathers here, but if you dont like it just pretend its not there. You have the choice to not view that part of the site, but it doesnt mean others shouldnt have the choice to decide they want to view it.

F-85, i know you're very outspoken against the conversions, and im okay with that, its what you believe and if anyone argued against your point of view id be there saying "hey, its what he believes, lay off, he has that right" but just being honest, some of your posts are what got me to add a whole section in my introduction post about how some people take this stuff way too seriously and it just kills the fun to the point where some people would rather lock themselves in their garage and do their tinkering in private than get on the internet and have to sift through pages of harassement just to get one simple tech question answered. Im not trying to offend you though, just giving an honest statement
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Certifiable car addict...

I know I haven't been around here long, but from what I have seen over the years, a LOT of these old cars have been sliced/diced & butchered already (sad to see of course) and I'm ALL for keeping an original one together, however, I'm also for keeping any of them on the road if possible. There aren't any new Oldsmobile engines being manufactured at all anymore. The closest things are the LS motors if you want to keep it "Stock GM"

I can see more and more of this happening, as gas prices continue to rise and people are looking for a more affordable way to keep driving a classic.

What's going to happen 20, 30, 40 years from now when the oil reserves are even more further depleted and gas becomes astronomically more expensive? I'm sure there will be other options for daily drivers by then (electric, hydrogen, other things still in the R&D phases now...) and gas becomes a 100% luxury item. At that point, any of the original internal combustion engines will become museum pieces anyhow, so I applaud keeping a classic on the road in any way that makes it fun & affordable for the owner.

Most of the guys here seem to be of the same opinion from what I've seen. If it's original, don't butcher it, but if it's already missing the "heart & soul" that makes it bleed Olds on the driveway, put something reliable in there.

I have yet to see anyone here that's putting any old SBC/BBC engines into their classic olds w/o being laughed at, and I agree with that. The swaps I do see going on are for a resto-mod / upgrade to newer tech, and when there's not an available option from Oldsmobile for that route, something's gotta give.

2cents.

-Jeff
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:51 AM

Its just not that cut and dry. I like to come on this site at least once a day. When i do it is much easier for me to hit the "new posts" button to see whats going on, then to go into every section one by one just so i can avoid the last section. So no you just cant not go to that section.

To me its Chevy Guy mentality with the new LS stuff. Olds cant make power! Olds cant be reliable! Olds cant get good MPG! Olds are expensive! Thats all untrue! Im not chasing these guys around giving them a hard time. Its their car they can do as they please. But keep it out of here. This isnt the place! Come here talk Olds, buy parts, trade, read, learn! But leave the LS stuff to another website more based on that crap. Most people come here because they Love Oldsmobiles! A few come to stir the pot!
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:58 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hjRbAWtRHW8

How many Olds have realy swapped over to a non olds power plant ?

How many olds have been wrecked by drunk driving? Over driving ?

No attention at all? Raced to death?

Last edited by firefrost gold; July 26th, 2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:03 AM

GTI_GURU: +1, thats exactly my assessment too, if its original you should damn sure keep it original, but if the motors gone, even if you put an Olds motor in it its still gonna have a swapped motor so you might as well go with what makes you happiest

F-85: Yeah Ive heard that stuff too, some people hate on Olds without even knowing about it. Hell I think Olds motors are still your best choice for torque anywhere, which is exactly what i want, torque, torque TORQUE! hahaha. There are a few who stirr the pot but meh, i think you'd get that anywhere (Pontiac forum, Buick forum, Mopar, Honda, Toyota, Ferrari, anything really), just ignore them, or if they got the nads tell them to let their gas pedal do the talking haha. I really dont consider the LS motors as Chevy though, they're just simply GM, there's honestly nothing Chevrolet oriented used in them. The LT motors however are definatly Chevrolet. Its just kind of a convenience factor really (having the motor swap forum there) that way people interested in it dont have to join multiple forum sites and cross-refference everything ya know? However there are times when people need to crack down on this modding maddness, im tired of seeing beautiful cutlasses on 24s, i even saw an original 442 all "blinged out" i wanted to hot glue the owners eyes shut LOL
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:25 AM

My opinion is that a lot of guys swap out the olds engines because the LS engines are more reliable, especially with a fuel injection setup. First off, an LS crate motor will easily put out 350hp, and get upwards of 15mpg. To build a rocket 350 to be that would be so outrageously expensive, and it's not going to get as good of mileage. A 35+ year old engine wasn't built for efficiency, a new LS motor is.

I'm starting to think about it. My rocket 350 only has 41xxx original miles, and probably doesn't need a rebuild, but it just doesn't get up and go. Hell, my daily driver with a na 3.8l v6 is faster. I can't have that. My "toy" or hobby car isn't supposed to be slower than my DD.
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:36 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

My Olds left the factory with a Buick v6, does that make it a hybrid?.
Roger.
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:49 AM

jpc647: Ive seen an LSX454 powered Trans Am run at high 20s mpg-wise in the Hot Rod Power Tour, and they put out around 600hp/600tq if i remember correctly. Most LS motors ive heard about get around 28mpg and thats not highway mileage its averaged between highway/city. Very efficient motors indeed.

Oh and id also be intereted to know about this hybrid issue. Whats purists' oppinions on Olds-powered non-Olds cars? Such as a 79' Trans Am with a 403?
Old July 26th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Well, well, well.... Number one, I'm 53 years old and thoroughly enjoy a stock original Oldsmobile and/ or any other make respectfully! A car is an extension of the owners personality!! A sense of accomplishment, and something each and everyone of us can be proud of!!

The word Classic in our website name is a misnomer!! Oldsmobile will never fit the true definition of it! They wil always be in the catagory of Antique, and or in some respects Collectable Antiques, but never, ever, a Classic!!!

I like budget hotrodding, a 67 - 2 door Cutlass Holiday Coupe is not a candidate for a complete frame off show qaulity, strip down to every nut and bolt resto! I'm sorry, but it will never be a hi dollar collectable!! It ain't happening!!

Sooooo, please note, I am also in the process of putting a 468 in my Cutlass with Turbo 400. So you purists grab your chest!!! Sorry, but for probably less than $3000.00 I can put a really nice combo into what is just a very nice old car. It's what I want to do, its my car, and more importantly it makes me happy! If later, I decide to put another olds engine back in I can always do that!!

I have not noticed a mass exidous of members! I've noticed mostly patience and quite a bit of interest in the non-olds threads. I'm not going to point fingers, but urge the whiners and pot stirrers to show respect and quit bashing fellow AUTO - ENTHUSIASTS!!!!

Life is like television, if you don't like what your watching change the channel!

I believe one of the other members hit the nail on the head, when he mentioned, if your father received a heart transplant, is he not your father anymore!!!!
Old July 26th, 2011, 07:41 AM
car guy

We are not having this discussion again. If you are interested in engine swaps keep it in that section. It was created because threads like this were popping up on a weekly basis and disrupting the main site in every other section. The decision was made that if a non-Olds question comes up it had to only be posted in the non Olds section or would get moved there.

If you don't like engine swaps going on then wait a little while and the fad will pass. My personal opinion is the average swap going on has become boring. We were doing these swaps almost 10 years ago when no one was doing them and it was new and cool. Now its just a matter of opening a cataloge and anyone can do it.

Do not bring up and more non Olds discussion in the main site and stay out of the Non-Olds section if you are just there to stir up crap.