General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What was the standard speedometer gear ratio for a 200-4R inside a 1985 Delta 88?

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2016, 03:04 PM

What was the standard speedometer gear ratio for a 200-4R inside a 1985 Delta 88?

I took the governor, including the speedometer drive gear and the driven gear from that vehicle to put into my Vista Cruiser's 200-4R, but I didn't remember the number of teeth it had when I installed it. I think it had a white drive gear with 13 teeth because I tried to look inside the speedometer drive access hole without taking the transmission pan off, but it was hard to be sure if it's a discolored white drive gear or a faded orange that would have 11 teeth. My driven gear is black and has 27 teeth, but right now the whole set-up makes the speedometer and odometer read about 11% too fast.

My rear axle ratio is 3.08 and my tire rolling diameter is about 25.125".

Also, when I reached in to touch the driven gear, I could turn it with my hands on the governor shaft. Should that be permanently located somehow, so there is no slipping between the shaft and drive gear?

Thanks, Tom
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:08 PM

wobble at drive shaft yoke normal?

I still haven't dropped the pan to see what number of teeth my drive gear (from a Delta 88) has and why it seemed to be slipping on the governor shaft, but I went ahead and installed a 29 tooth drive gear for $13 based on the 11.5% error I saw on my speedometer. I just did the test drive and the speedometer now indicates dead accurate. Now, I still have one main issue to resolve. A soft or lazy or flare shift from second to third gear. I read a few threads online that suggest a problem with the length of the servo pin, but still hoping somebody with specific 200-4R experience has more advice.

So far, I love this transmission and to think I researched, found and rebuilt one of these within one year of buying my Vista Cruiser, I couldn't be much happier. One thing that does make me a bit nervous is some vibration above 60-70mph.

I checked underneath and the only thing that seems a little unusual is that I can slightly wobble the drive shaft yoke inside the transmission end bushing. Is this normal?...

Thanks, Tom