General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

This is what square one looks like

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2013, 06:30 PM

This is what square one looks like

Got to visit the Cutlass's resting place over the weekend and document just what needs to be done.

It's not pretty.

SOOOOO much rust.

Needs several rust holes in the decklid patched, whole new quarters, fenders patched, corner of the cab patched, new exhaust...the list goes on.

On the bright side the interior and engine are in good shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1000772.JPG (185.3 KB, 54 views)
P1000773.JPG (209.6 KB, 52 views)
P1000780.JPG (165.7 KB, 49 views)
P1000784.JPG (205.7 KB, 50 views)
P1000787.JPG (214.7 KB, 47 views)
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:33 PM

More pictures.

I shouldn't have to worry about rust under the front of the car since it suffers from Detroit Diesel syndrome- all that leaking fluid keeps the rust at bay.

You can also see the one chunk that came out of the passenger side quarter panel that was swiss cheese of rust, then covered in about 1/4" of bondo. I unearthed lots of shoddy body work.
Attached Images
P1000797.JPG (208.5 KB, 39 views)
P1000798.JPG (184.8 KB, 45 views)
P1000800.JPG (228.0 KB, 42 views)
P1000805.JPG (216.8 KB, 40 views)
P1000810.JPG (203.8 KB, 41 views)
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There's a guy in Oregon who just posted up a car that's the mirror image of yours: rust-free body with trashed interior and trim.

It may sound farfetched at first, but you might save a LOT of money and time by buying his and combining them.

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:49 PM

How do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time.
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Unless this car has sentimental or some kind of emotional attachment, I would go after the car in Oregon or somewhere. Every piece of sheet metal on this car needs replacement. This car will go way beyond that $30,000 paint job that has been discussed on here. It will never be worth what you will spend restoring it. If it were a 69 Hurst or W30 4-speed convertible, maybe so.
Old July 9th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Administrator

I agree with Eric and redoldsman, that car is definitely a major undertaking.
Old July 9th, 2013, 08:59 PM

Big blue Your Detroit Diesel comment made me smile My dad use to call his a oil slinger
we have one at work for a back up fire pump I smile they spend all this money to fix oil leaks I keep telling them ask any old Trucker if there is a Fix for them My dad would Say sure is Get a Cat.
Old July 10th, 2013, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
There's a guy in Oregon who just posted up a car that's the mirror image of yours: rust-free body with trashed interior and trim.

It may sound farfetched at first, but you might save a LOT of money and time by buying his and combining them.

- Eric
I might have to look into that.

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Unless this car has sentimental or some kind of emotional attachment, I would go after the car in Oregon or somewhere. Every piece of sheet metal on this car needs replacement. This car will go way beyond that $30,000 paint job that has been discussed on here. It will never be worth what you will spend restoring it. If it were a 69 Hurst or W30 4-speed convertible, maybe so.
Not every piece, but both quarters, some patches on the fenders, trunk pan, and some other assorted patches should do the trick. Doors, hood, rockers, floor pans and most of the fenders are solid.

And these projects are never about resale value anyway to me. It's about doing the work yourself and the end result.

...plus it doesn't hurt it was my first car.

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
How do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time.
I have certainly learned that one.

At first I thought I was in waaaaay over my head with this car, but recently my thoughts have changed. In fact this thing looks like a walk in the park!

Since then I had purchased a basket case Mustang, and as of now, I've performed the equivalent of a full restoration on it. The only part that has not been removed and replaced so far is the K-member and front control arms, and those are on the list.

Bit by bit over the course of a year or two it has been completely restored, and it was in much sadder shape than this Cutlass. All the bodywork was redone, completely new and rebuilt engine, drivetrain, brakes, suspension, dash ripped out, new interior, new wiring, lots of cleaning and painting, etc... Bit by bit it got done. I had never intended to completely change everything, but it happened. Every part has been gone through.

Compared to that nightmare of a car, this shouldn't be too bad.