General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What should club post?

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2019, 08:32 PM

What should club post?

I belong to a car club.

We have a monthly newsletter that we mail to members

Some in our cub think it would be a idea to post our newsletters on line to attract more and younger members..

I'm not quite convinced this is a good idea.

1. Why join the club if the newsletter are all online??

2. Sometimes we get tours of private collections, and directions, etc are in the newsletter info. When we make the newsletters online, then everyone including theives would know where the collection is, etc.

3. We do have a Facebook page and post some events that are open to everyone like our annual car show.

any other complelling reasons pro or con to doing this??

Thanks

Fred
Old April 3rd, 2019, 08:57 PM

You can have a web site with the newsletter and other club info and only members with the password can view the information.
You can also e-mail the newsletter to club members instead of sending a hard copy through the USPS.

Do people join the club just so they can get the newsletter? If that's all the club has to offer, y'all are doing something wrong.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
You can have a web site with the newsletter and other club info and only members with the password can view the information.
You can also e-mail the newsletter to club members instead of sending a hard copy through the USPS.

Do people join the club just so they can get the newsletter? If that's all the club has to offer, y'all are doing something wrong.

Actually we do an event EVERY month... so we are quite busy.

So if one posts all the info online, my question is why join?/ just show up

also the issue of privacy, even for people not in the club.. like those who offer to tour their private collections. Any security risk here or potential liability if someone gets ripped off??
Old April 3rd, 2019, 10:31 PM

[QUOTE=FStanley;1164928]I belong to a car club.
We have a monthly newsletter that we mail to members
Some in our club think it would be a idea to post our newsletters on line to attract more and younger members..
I'm not quite convinced this is a good idea.
Publishing a newsletter online can be two things. One is on a web site restricted to members. The other is open for anyone to read.

1. Why join the club if the newsletter are all online??
I have to agree with you.

2. Sometimes we get tours of private collections, and directions, etc are in the newsletter info. When we make the newsletters online, then everyone including theives would know where the collection is, etc.
Tours of private collections are a privilege. Locations and directions make the host vulnerable. It also makes available your location if they want to steal only a car or car parts.

3. We do have a Facebook page and post some events that are open to everyone like our annual car show.
General announcements are fine on Fakebook.

any other compelling reasons pro or con to doing this??
Publishing a newsletter and emailing it to REGISTERED CLUB MEMBERS makes the most sense to me. I can download, sit down and read it at my convenience. I keep a FOLDER on my desktop to file all the newsletters. I can refer back to previous ones because I know where to find it. No pile of paper to sort through, text and pics can be enlarged for easier reading for older members.
.....Just my two cents worth.
Old April 4th, 2019, 05:07 AM

I haven't seen anything about the cost of a printed newsletter. Might check out your costs especially since the USPS has continued for good or bad to increase postage. There is savings and if you have members that aren't computerized you can accommodate with a mailed version. Relative to attracting younger members I personally feel that the club needs more than a newsletter to attract membership. Thats a whole different topic and requires a visit to "club goals". Just my take on the topic.
Old April 4th, 2019, 06:15 AM
Administrator

How many members are there in your club? The NTOC links their monthly newsletter through Hemmings. In my opinion a free newsletter is not going to limit your membership, the people, activities, and the convenience of getting meetings/ events sponsored through your club will. So what if people don't join right away but just participate in your activities, some may join in the future as get to know and make friends with club members.
Old April 4th, 2019, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by FStanley
So if one posts all the info online, my question is why join?/ just show up
I never advocated for that.
Originally Posted by Fun71