General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What have you learned on this site?

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2008, 09:55 AM

What have you learned on this site?

I think it's hilarious that it says "senior member" under my username. I'm not a mechanic by trade. My dad never had an interest in picking up a wrench and therefore most of what I learn is on the fly or by doing it twice. There's been times when I haven't even had a garage to tinker in and I've got work and family obligations that consume my time. I am however a car guy that relies on this site for direction as I work on my 68 cutlass. For those of you like me, I thought I'd put up a short list of some of the things I learned here, and if your not like me, say thanks to the guys with extensive knowledge, and ask them to be patient with us since many things about fixing cars are not so obvious.
1. When installing an engine, loosten the engine mounts to facilitate alignment.
2. Do not torque control arm bolts without weight on the front end.
3. Oil restrictors and deep sump pans are not required on every engine build.
4. What a heater control valve is and what it does.
5. How to inexpensively put a front disk brake section together.
6. That a torch works great to remove old control arm bushings.
I'm sure many more I'm not thinking of at this moment.

Got other tips?
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM
same but different

You are very considerate to give thanks. This site is a great resource to help us enjoy our hobby. Nice point to bring up for discussion.

I've learned alot of things here that are not even car related. I won't go there.

Early on, I found it essential to purchase a factory service manual. It is a great resource.

One should allways keep a fire extinguisher close--the air cleaner does two things, the other thing is a flame arrester.

I've learned its easier to fake or clone a performance car than to prove its real. Buyer beware they say. AND...they still can't install the emblems in the correct location.

I've learned our hobby is being priced out of the working mans budget.

I learned to take pictures of projects and bag and tag them. You never know when you will come back to the project.

It's also come to my attention the import parts are not usually the same in quality or fit that are currently being reproduced for our cars.

I've learned when the fun runs out, take a break. Frustration makes a lonely garage mate that likes to do things twice. Do it right the first time, doing it cheap means doing it twice.

Mostly, I have learned there are many ways to do accomplish certain tasks. Depending on opinon, sometimes they are right and sometimes wrong. The most important thing would be to accomplish the mission in the safest way possible. Front end work and brakes come to mind here, as well as anything electrical. I would hate to loose my ride on somebodys poor workman ship. When in doubt, ask someone.......and then run for a second opinion!
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:03 AM

allways learning

got to say that this site is great! want to know something! ask, you'll get what you need and then some, joe is a great guy and is very good at this thank's for the site and all it's people...... jim
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Past Administrator

That senior, junior member stuff is only based on number of posts. Which I think is kind of useless. I think there is a way to make a custom label for yourself, my son Jesse (Olds64) did this. He is the president of the Land Yacht Club.
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:01 PM

Vote Olds64 in 2008!

Oldsmobiles for EVERYONE!