General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What have you done to your Oldsmobile today

Old August 3rd, 2017, 04:49 PM

Bolted dash in put front bumper on needed an extra pair of hands
Old August 4th, 2017, 05:57 AM

Had a light cut put on the front brake rotors, then repacked the front wheel bearings, changed out the proportioning valve, master cylinder and rear flex hose, bled the brakes, changed the oil, greased the chassis, and topped it off with a fresh coat of wax on the Delta 88.
Old August 4th, 2017, 08:06 PM

Sorry a few days late. Tuesday I Changed the oil on the first 900 miles of the new engine. Then I got my butt kicked removing the old front shocks, bolted in instead of shock clips on the lower control arm. Then proceeded to get my butt kicked again doing what was supposed to be a quick stabilizer link change. Wednesday got my butt half kicked on the rear shocks. Had to remove the springs to get a wizz wheel in there to cut the top bolts. Luckily the rear brake adjustment went well. 85* with 97% humidity. If it wasn't the goggles fogging up it was the burning sensation in my eyes from the salt in my sweat. Tomorrow morning I'll remove the aftermarket thermostat housing and put the original back on. Its leaking where the neck meets the housing. Then it's off on a road trip with the family.
Old August 4th, 2017, 09:21 PM

Finally finished trunk repairs. Waiting for some parts to be shipped, hopefully get it back on the road this month.
Old August 6th, 2017, 04:46 AM

Removed picture one, it was leaking from the 3/4" neck where it meets the housing. Installed the original, picture 2 & 3. 300 mile cruise no leaks other than the burp from the radiator every time I shut the car off. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the $200 for the plastic overflow reservoir. Interesting, the washer res is $28, when they got you they got you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
455 kneck leaking.JPG (2.26 MB, 28 views)
Old August 6th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by zeeke
no leaks other than the burp from the radiator every time I shut the car off. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the $200 for the plastic overflow reservoir.
Before you do that , check your Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual . ( you do have one , don't you ?)

You will find that the "full cold" level is below the neck of the radiator . This allows for expansion . And will end the "burp".
Old August 6th, 2017, 06:33 PM

I've been filling it to that level. I do have a Manual, thanks for the heads up. Interestingly enough, when the defective housing was on it didn't burp as noticeable. I just realized that. I thought the lower coolant level was from the leak. I'm down a gallon or so now, before I'd be down 2". I did start a thread and they mentioned the same thing. Thanks.

Last edited by zeeke; August 6th, 2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:42 PM

Finally got around to changing the brake fluid on the 70. It had been in there since the disc swap in '00 and the pedal height definitely wasn't what it used to be, even with new brakes all around. Now have a super solid and high pedal and nice clean fluid in master......couldn't even see the bottom of the reservoir through the old fluid Pic of car in question

ShPFmZK.jpg
Old August 13th, 2017, 02:36 AM

I have put a 72 emblem on my 76 nose, my black unit was a bit sun faded and I like the big rocket emblem a lot more.

Old August 13th, 2017, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by DJS70cutlass
Finally got around to changing the brake fluid on the 70. It had been in there since the disc swap in '00 and the pedal height definitely wasn't what it used to be, even with new brakes all around. Now have a super solid and high pedal and nice clean fluid in master......couldn't even see the bottom of the reservoir through the old fluid Pic of car in question

I went with DOT 5 in my 66 Cutlass. I'm glad I did because when I replaced the master cylinder lid with a chrome one, the spring pressures wasn't quite enough and brake fluid spilled all over the engine compartment when I raced it at the track. I just took a cloth and polished up the paint.
Old August 14th, 2017, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by HeavyOlds
I went with DOT 5 in my 66 Cutlass. I'm glad I did because when I replaced the master cylinder lid with a chrome one, the spring pressures wasn't quite enough and brake fluid spilled all over the engine compartment when I raced it at the track. I just took a cloth and polished up the paint.
I used synthetic DOT 3 in mine....its all that work had. Will definitely be keeping it off the paint! And man who'd have thought, a brake fluid polish job
Old August 16th, 2017, 06:15 PM

Replaced my SS1 14X6 wheels with 14X7 steelies and wire spinner wheel covers. I like the look with the redlines.
Wayne
Old August 16th, 2017, 07:14 PM
Forward into the Past

Originally Posted by 35tac

Replaced my SS1 14X6 wheels with 14X7 steelies and wire spinner wheel covers. I like the look with the redlines.
Wayne
Nice. The redlines really do set it off.
Old August 16th, 2017, 07:27 PM

I pulled the entire fleet out of the shop today in order to be able to get to the (gasp) two Fords.... actually a Mercury and a Ford.
Attached Images
Old August 22nd, 2017, 09:50 AM

Installed a new starter and went to the Woodward Dream Cruise.
Old September 5th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Found the correct cable for my '56

My '56 has factory AC (technically referred to as CAC in your Service Manual-Car Air Conditioning). The heat and defrost systems are unique to CAC cars. On the right of the steering column is a bracket with a single cable and **** labelled "heater"(not "heat"). In non-CAC cars this bracket would have two cables labelled left and right for vent air.

Whew! Having said that, my '56 has had an incorrect **** on that bracket since I bought it (see the first attachment) and I have spent 5 and 1/2 years trying to find the correct one. Very hard to find and it's been really bugging me!

Finally found one (see attachment 2) with the bowden cable and the bracket. Needed a little buffing, but this weekend I snaked the old cable out and ran the new one in. (see attachment 3)

Old September 5th, 2017, 06:55 PM

Swapped in a race built TH400 and 9.5" Converter. It drives nice on the street now and instant torque when mashing the pedal.

Last edited by HeavyOlds; September 5th, 2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:06 AM

A bugger batch of small stuff, Concourse coming up,

Started the deep detail on the 55 yesterday getting ready for the Concourse on Sunday. So far polished the rear plastic window, got rid of the scratches and dull spots. Redid the steering wheel, epoxied and sanded the hair line cracks then painted it
It came out pretty good, could have spent more time sanding but unless you are really looking for imperfections you won't see the repairs.

Re glued the foam on the boot cover. Not something anyone would see (judge) but I was there and It needed done.

Sanded and painted the gas lines from carb to fuel pump. The hard part was masking everything off.

Then cleaned and used a degreaser on the engine compartment getting ready for a repaint on the intake and air cleaner next. After that it's rock chip time, and as usual polish all the chrome. Luckily I have help coming to day so maybe well gett'er done in time for the show.

Now I remember why I quit these type of shows, it's just a lot of work.... Tedd
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:03 AM

Smile Yeah, but it feels good to win

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Started the deep detail on the 55 yesterday getting ready for the Concourse on Sunday.....

I admire your effort and would really like to see your 55 close up someday. I never had a car that was Concourse qualified as they were never entirely stock but have done Portland Roadster Show and smaller ones here in NW with an earlier Street Rod I built and can attest its a PITA to get ready.

I built the 47 Convertible to my satisfaction with no intent to show it and so far in its first year of being roadworthy have gone to exactly zero shows and cruise-in events. Its sort of like quitting drinking...
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Started the deep detail on the 55 yesterday getting ready for the Concourse on Sunday. So far polished the rear plastic window, got rid of the scratches and dull spots. Redid the steering wheel, epoxied and sanded the hair line cracks then painted it
It came out pretty good, could have spent more time sanding but unless you are really looking for imperfections you won't see the repairs.

Re glued the foam on the boot cover. Not something anyone would see (judge) but I was there and It needed done.

Sanded and painted the gas lines from carb to fuel pump. The hard part was masking everything off.

Then cleaned and used a degreaser on the engine compartment getting ready for a repaint on the intake and air cleaner next. After that it's rock chip time, and as usual polish all the chrome. Luckily I have help coming to day so maybe well gett'er done in time for the show.

Tedd, may I ask what polish you used on your plastic window.
Thanks
Wayne
Old September 7th, 2017, 09:46 AM

Ss iv's

Bought a set of SSIV's and put them on my 75 Delta 88 Convertible. Look great for now but will paint them this winter when it goes in the garage!!
Old September 7th, 2017, 11:29 AM

Changed the oil, replaced dash lamps with LEDs, installed a clock in place of a blank.
Old September 7th, 2017, 06:11 PM

Tedd, may I ask what polish you used on your plastic window.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne I use Meguire's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish. With a cordless 3/8 drill on high and a foam applicator/ buffer it took maybe 15 minutes to get rid of all the scratches and blurred areas.

Today was a long day, a friend (Bob) and I started on the wheels, wide whites and rims first. Got them looking better than sense they were new. We used both Westley's now made by Black Magic and a product from Adams. If I had to pick which one was best I think I would go with the Adams.

Next I went to work on the trunk, it was a mess. Just like everyone I have a detail shop in the trunk along with tools toe rope, pop up, Three lawn chairs, first aid stuff a couple warm coats (remember it's a convertible) and two towels wrapped around a couple quarts of oil and transmission fluid. None of that will be judged so it's got to be out of there. Pulled the spare tire, jack and hold downs sanded and painted them, vacuumed the trunk carpet and tire blacked the spare. The *** of the car is done except putting what is needed back in.

While I attacked the trunk Bob started polishing on the chrome grill. He was still working on the grill after I finished the trunk, big grill.

We started painting on the intake manifold and various engine parts and it all wen't well.All the paint matched and I was happy with our work but we still have another day of stuff to do.Then a get together on Saturday for tea and crumpets with the Concourse guys and girls and show off our rides before the show the next day. I'm beat but having fun I think.... More tomorrow car is looking fine... Tedd
Old September 7th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd:

I am impressed you can get your car back in that shape as much as you drive it. Mine was never restored to that level and it has way too much aftermarket stuff on it to even be considered. I enjoy the local shows like the one I went to last Saturday before the old gal broke down on the way home. Enjoy your outing and be sure we get pictures.
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:12 PM

Tedd, thanks for the info on the polish.
Wayne
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:26 PM
Phantom Phixer

Got my Olds out of harm's way .

This morning my body sat outside on a rotissirie . As it has for a couple months .

With hurricane winds expected to be over 100 MPH on Sunday night , I knew if I didn't do something . I would probably find it on the doorstep of the VFW hall across the street .

Luckily , my buddy Mike's paint booth was empty . So now it's safely tucked away . ( I hope .)

Mrs. Jones and I are spending the weekend at a hotel on International drive .
Old September 8th, 2017, 11:51 AM

Yesterday I sandblasted my rear seat springs, and painted them. I hope to upholster it this weekend, then do the fronts after. Im waiting on a few things from Legendary, should be here mid month I hope. The carpet and console are in, headliner and visors are in. I have 3 point belts from Morris Classic Conscepts, I sent them my old belts and they used my bigger buckles instead of their small buckles. Got my radio back from Tayman Elec, and installed, So far all electric works...knock on wood! Will measure for driveshaft soon, its been 4.5 years, im ready to be done and drive it, cant wait!
Old September 8th, 2017, 02:10 PM

New horns for my 66 Cutlass. She sounds a lot better.
Wayne
Old September 8th, 2017, 07:25 PM

Stick a fork in me I'm done.

Another long day but I think I'm done. Car looks better now than it has for years. It's a good thing though I don't have to judge my own car because I know of things that would cost a bunch of points. The judges will find some but I'll bet they miss thing that a Oldsmobile guy wouldn't.

First on the list was front and back seat, door card upholstery. Oxiy cleaned first coat then Meguires vinyl cleaner last cleaning, looked as good as 17 year upholstery can.

The glass was next then out with the Betty Boop floor mats and in with the old repos of the original boring mats. Out went my cup holder console and now I'm left with nothing but a bunch of ash trays to put trash in for the day.

I remover the hangers that held my exterior water cooler on the side of the convertible roof rail. No place for a cooler at a concourse.

The last thing was to speed wax the whole car, clean the top and then bag it for the night. I'm done. I could do a few things that will for sure cost me points but I'm just not into ether spending the money or I'm out of time.

Tea and crumpets tomorrow show on Sunday..... Lost in the fifties ... Tedd
Old September 10th, 2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by HeavyOlds
Swapped in a race built TH400 and 9.5" Converter. It drives nice on the street now and instant torque when mashing the pedal.

That undercarriage!! You could eat off of it! Absolutely beautifully done!!!
Old September 10th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Forward into the Past

The '64 convertible is going nowhere fast but with cooler weather of late, the Aurora has been getting some much needed exercise. Between the lack of functioning air conditioning and a temperature related low oil pressure issue, It basically stays parked in hot weather. An oil change is also in its near future, since that hasn't been done in about two years. But hey, it's been driven maybe 1,000 miles in that time.
Old September 10th, 2017, 04:38 PM

There is a like thread in the The clubhouse forum that starts from the beginning, The long and short of it is the car took a hard earned third in class and I'm ecstatic .... Tedd https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-concours.html

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; September 10th, 2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old September 10th, 2017, 07:45 PM

Got mine running again. We'll sort of

A friend came over to help me get it going. Put in rebuilt distributor with new points, 9 mm wires ( blue streak), new cap rotor and plugs. Dwell is correct and timing but still stumbles etc. . Putting the quadrajet back on and removing the Edelbrock till I get the fuel injection bought. Really super tired of the carb issues from the last and present cutlasses.
Old September 10th, 2017, 08:49 PM

Started installing my Legendary seat covers, got the back seat done and half of one front bucket. The back upper seat just about ripped me a new one yesterday, just couldnt get it on, my wife was helping as well. I would set it in the sun to get it hot but no go, just too tight. Thought i was going to have to call Legendary. Today i first said a little prayer, went out to the garage, dont know what happened but it just about fell in place, too easy. The back bottom seat and a front back were somewhat difficult, but nothing like the back upper. But so far they look great. Still one and a half front seats to go. Im sandblasting the frames as i go then paint them, ran out of hog rings.
Old September 20th, 2017, 08:55 AM

Getting ready for winter storage. Oil change, topped off 4-speed, checked diff and installed new rear axle vent. Checked brake and power steering fluid. Another month of driving and then storage. Polished rear plastic window with Maguires "Plastic Lense" polish and it really does a good job. Thanks to CO member Tedd Thompson on the polish. Didn't have the nerve to use a powered polisher though.
Wayne
Old September 20th, 2017, 09:05 AM

Installed new A-pillar inside padding - certainly doesn't fit like OEMs but looks very nice and has a nice feel to it. I often drive holding the A-pillar when the top is down - not sure why.
Old September 20th, 2017, 02:17 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Getting ready for winter storage.
Oh no!! Not already!!
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Phantom Phixer

Getting ready for winter storage.
Something we don't do in Florida , ha ha .
The cruises I attend , at Old town (Kissimmee) and The Villages (Leesburg) run year around.
We do have a " slow season " during June , July , and August . When it's "too darn HOT! "
Cruise attendance in July might only be 50 cars . In January , you might see 350 cars on certain weekends .
Another factor in attendance are "snow birds" . Some of them transport their " hobby cars" down here for the winter .
It's not uncommon to see license plates from many states east of the Mississippi at a winter cruise .

'
Old September 21st, 2017, 05:40 AM

[QUOTE=Charlie Jones;1044630]Something we don't do in Florida , ha ha .
The cruises I attend , at Old town (Kissimmee) and The Villages (Leesburg) run year around.
We do have a " slow season " during June , July , and August . When it's "too darn HOT! "
excuse us northerners for hating on you a little bit.i've been to Old town when visiting my sister and it's a great time.my sister and bro-in-law have been talking about selling their oldsmobiles if any of you in central florida are looking.she lives in eustis, 1 is a 67 cutlass convert and the other is 69 cutlass convert.they aren't up for dealing with advertising them.they would rather go by word of mouth or to someone they know.jc
Old October 21st, 2017, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Human
Nice. The redlines really do set it off.
Put in storage yesterday, with oil change and complete check up. All covered with dryer sheets inside for a winter nap.
Wayne

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What have you done to your Oldsmobile today