General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What have you done to your Oldsmobile today

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Billy

On the weekend I finished painting the original Delco front brake calipers on the '71 SX. I wanted to freshen them up seeing as they are 40 years old. Painted them on the car...wire brushed, sprayed w/brake cleaner and then masked off everything else. Used cast iron color, high heat paint and they turned out really nice. It really brought out the Delco stamping with #'s as well. Unfortunately we had light snow falling last night...
Old October 27th, 2014, 11:36 AM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
Finished up the front grill and almost have the 455 complete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
071.jpg (99.5 KB, 50 views)
068.jpg (83.9 KB, 55 views)
060.jpg (63.7 KB, 46 views)
070.jpg (29.3 KB, 44 views)
069.jpg (93.3 KB, 50 views)
Old October 28th, 2014, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by HurstLightning84
Just put new tires on the Hurst today. Looks very good!

Looks REAL good ! Well kept ride my friend.
Old October 28th, 2014, 06:07 AM

Had the 425ci delivered that I purchased for the 67. I still have no clue how to lost a pic. Lord knows I've tried. image.jpg
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:09 AM
cld
the new guy

Just got in a new caliper, front driver side. Tried bleeding the brakes over the weekend and it was like a gorilla installed the bolt - completely stripped and wouldn't come off with vise grips, PB blaster, torch, etc. We got a new one from Pep Boys and the hole wasn't tapped correctly, and it still wouldn't work after I tried drilling it and retapping it. For $17 more ordered a reman caliper, it remains to be seen whether this one will work out.

In other words, I learned a lesson about cheapo foreign-made parts.
Old November 10th, 2014, 08:26 PM

Well the first thing I did was re-installed the Toronado Grill Script that I repainted a few nights ago...

Then I focused on today's project of restoring the Toronado's turn signal lenses. First I stripped off all the old paint using diluted lacquer thinner and mild steel wool. Then cleaned the lenses well, and repaired a couple old age cracks with the help of the old Dremel and some clear drying epoxy. After everything was good and dry, I masked off the center part of the lenses, and repainted them in sliver metallic to match the grill. Originally, I was going to paint the inside bevel black just as they came stock. Although masking around the curves became a little bit challenging... Therefore, I just decided to just leave them all silver... I think they turned out extremely well....

Last edited by 68RocketAction; November 13th, 2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old November 11th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Registered car nut

Today? .....er last night, I killed 5 or so Yellow jackets hiding under interior trim pieces. (preparing to remove glass in a parts car)
Hate Yellow jackets. Nice thing it was so cold they were asleep.
Bad thing was some of the 63 interior trim was rotted away.
Old November 27th, 2014, 06:31 PM

Installed dash assembly & wiring harness in my 66.

Old November 27th, 2014, 06:57 PM

Pulled her out of the garage, put a few ounces of Sta-bil in tank, a quick dry wash with my trusty Kozak, took her out for a quick cruise and emptied some fuel bowls :-)
Attached Images
442_quarter_front1.jpg (91.1 KB, 51 views)
442_quarter_front2.jpg (96.3 KB, 49 views)
Old November 27th, 2014, 07:00 PM

*VERY* nice! Love the side-winder tach...dash and argent silver inset look beautiful!
Old November 29th, 2014, 08:37 AM

Just bought a remanufactured distributor for the Cutlass.
Also got some mew full lenght headers for it
Old December 25th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Frank Ignachuck

We've been married for 39 years. Kids have graduated from college, all are married, own homes and have kids of their own. My wife buys stuff for herself for Christmas and I wrap them and give them back to her. That leaves the Super 88, or as Rob Young says "the other woman"......I got her a rocket circle dash emblem, some chrome valve caps, a new headlight switch and a Saint Christopher visor pin. Everyone's happy!
Old December 26th, 2014, 03:49 AM

66 Cutlass Midnight Rider

Guys:
The car has all the external sheetmetal and main tub in a couple coats of etch primer, new floors, new 1 pc trunk floor and the external parts roughly hung before it goes to the body guy and I have been buying up all the best external chrome I can find, all of it is in very nice condition, recently scored a almost new looking shifter handle from a fellow CO member. The rolling chassis is almost finished, it has all new suspension front and rear, new shocks, all new hard lines from ILT, they look really good against the frame painted chassis black. Hope to start dropping in the drive train soon, it is starting to look somewhat like a car again, another CO member is working on locating the backing plates and misc stuff needed to upgrade the rear brakes to 11" Stay tuned.
Thanks, Ron
Old December 27th, 2014, 06:40 AM

Just got some new headers for the Olds
Old January 14th, 2015, 05:33 PM

Had the left hand exhaust manifold replaced on the Mistress, really quieted her down a bunch. The manifold was cracked about 340 degrees and was stinking up the cab .I replaced the vacuum advance and installed new points. What a difference!No more dieseling on shutoff! The car is now ready for spring shows and a big road trip......Tedd
Old January 14th, 2015, 08:03 PM

I started removing all the ad-lib wiring and non-olds crap (CB, random gages, musical horn, foot gas pedal to name a few) out of the 64 Starfire today. It was 40 deg outside but that's t-shirt weather here. I will be removing the dash tomorrow or at least all the gages and accessories to inspect and test. Located proper seats and some emblems, still awaiting word back on other goodies for her trip back to life on the road.
Old January 17th, 2015, 04:08 AM

If it warms up, I plan to start bolting the seats back in after replacing the floor pans and carpet. Probably should replace the convertible top actuators since the seals were weeping a bit.Trying to decide if I should pull out the dash for restoration and pad replacement after seeing 66-3x442's picture above. Geez that looks great...
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:22 PM
Justin

Lots of little stuff trim

848564A8-EBA0-4AEA-B4C4-3A3887BA82EA.jpg
96C43E5B-163A-49B8-AC9F-6F64CE1191A9.jpg

Last edited by oldstata; March 7th, 2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Old School Olds

^^^Like the color!
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Administrator

x2^^^^^^^^^^
Old March 7th, 2015, 06:03 PM

I finally removed my leaky master cylinder and brake booster. I found a plastic reservoir description online went to advanced to stare and compare and purchased it. Should work great. Says its designed for a 79 cutlass. Sanded my brake booster and prepped for primer. Will try and primer tomorrow after swap meet in morning weather should be above 50 degrees. Also purchase a power steering belt to install. Getting excited the weather is finally changing.
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:21 PM

Love that color too Oldstata. What is it?
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Love that color too Oldstata. What is it?
I took a stock subaru color 69z and changed it to my liking
I lucked out and was able to get the last. Stock of good clear before they band it and had to send it all back. Witch I feel brings out the natural metallic in the paint as I sampled 5 different clears before choosing

Here is a shot in the sun
F8442332-7024-497C-AC7B-3AF511B441F2.jpg

Last edited by oldstata; March 7th, 2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old March 7th, 2015, 08:18 PM

Wow Oldstata that car is looking fine! You have come along way, nice work! Wish I was at that point.
I pulled my body off today and put it on the rotisserie I built.
Attached Images
145.jpg (36.3 KB, 23 views)
Old March 14th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by steverw
Wow Oldstata that car is looking fine! You have come along way, nice work! Wish I was at that point.
I pulled my body off today and put it on the rotisserie I built.
A frame off is a lot if work I wish I would of been able to do it. I just didn't have the space to and didn't want to push my limits at work

Any how, I cleaned and orginzed the garage today got all my parts in a general area hopefully in order as I need to install them, I installed three different batteries to run the old 330 to do some engine test, couldn't get it to idle not sure if it's a sticking choke ( eletric) or bad gas as it's 8 months old ?
2.5 years and this thing always fired right up. Right before paint the batt got imerged in water luckily it was dead and didn't seem to burn up any wires I am curious if this starting/ idling issue is related

Any how hoping to seal under trunk ang get gas tank back in
Old March 14th, 2015, 06:27 PM

Large Marge on the Lift

I put the 59 on the lift to get a rough idea of where I was going to start. I can hear my dad "Gotta make it whoa before you make it go!". Alright Pops, i put it on the lift, remember righty loosy for the drivers side.... get the wheels and drums off.... Great!!! someone has recently packed the bearings on the fronts and the wheel cylinders are pretty darn new>>> Freshy Fresh rubbers and no rust in the cylinder bores. Great!!! Put them back together, drop her on the ground, hook up the new battery, hop in the drivers seat and tap the throttle.... twist the key and VROOOOOM!!! Wait to build up some vacuum and step on the brake pedal..... hmmm.... a little funny feeling. Put the car in reverse and out she comes. Brakes are a little touchy but I think that I am just too conditioned to modern brakes. That car put a big smile on my face today....

Tranny might be leaking a little, original Muffler, welting between the springs is still in good shape, shocks don't bounce, tires hold air, Windshield broken, muffler back pip all rotted, seats cleaned, vacuumed the heck out of it, ripped out the carpet.....looks like she might go down the road pretty soon.... gonna play with the transmission though..... feels weird, cant drive it on the road yet.... still waiting for plates!!! I know, I know..... I wanna drive it too!!!!
Attached Images
vcm_s_kf_repr_623x834.jpg (40.0 KB, 21 views)
large marge 057.jpg (31.7 KB, 18 views)
large marge 016.jpg (30.1 KB, 25 views)
Old March 15th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Mak

New rear power window motor so I can finally roll down all the windows! Woo-Hoo!!! Flushed the power top cylinders and lines in preparation for new top pump/motor that arrives this week. Prepping for new carpet install.

Old March 17th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Smash

Today I finally finally rescued my 455 motor from my (drinks way too much) brother. He's had it for 9 months with promises to rebuild. Nothing at all was done & I'm even missing a few parts. It's ashame too cause he really knows his stuff, just very unreliable. On the bright side it wasn't sold in a late night bar bet.
Time to get wrenching on it as I'm just about finished with under hood & firewall prep.
Old March 17th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Smash

Originally Posted by oldstata
Lots of little stuff trim

Sweet sweet ride usually there's something that's just not my taste with a custom job. Not this time can't find anything I don't like about it. Really nice & tastefully done. Is it for sale, sorry I already know that answer.
Old March 17th, 2015, 06:52 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by smash72
Sweet sweet ride usually there's something that's just not my taste with a custom job. Not this time can't find anything I don't like about it. Really nice & tastefully done. Is it for sale, sorry I already know that answer.
Thanks !! Has a few flaws but a good driver quality car. most likely should have been parted long before, I got it this has been a budget build and great friends have helped me out along the way, thanks again

Last edited by oldstata; March 17th, 2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old March 18th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Justin

Pulled the top off the carb to see if I could figure out why it wasn't running well.

Well it had all kinds of crap in the gas. most likely dust from the body shop so guess, I am going to try and do a quick clean up on it to get it to run, so I can get video of the 330 running before I pull it or maybe, I will cruze it got the summer and have the swap be a fall project.
Old March 19th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Justin

Going to do a budget rebuild on the carb and see if I can get it going I really don't want to buy a rebuild kit unless I have to as I rebuilt this 3 years ago has less the 1k miles on it

Last edited by oldstata; March 20th, 2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old March 19th, 2015, 06:48 AM

Wow that's grungy. Do you have a filter after the pump? What is that draped over the throttle shaft or is that a reflection? I'd blow out every passage on that carb
Old March 19th, 2015, 06:53 AM
Justin

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Wow that's grungy. Do you have a filter after the pump? What is that draped over the throttle shaft or is that a reflection? I'd blow out every passage on that carb
No just before the pump , inline filter I am replacing it with a clear one and adding one after pump.

I think it's just a glare as the bowls are still half full.
Old March 19th, 2015, 07:19 AM

Oldstata, What you have there is fuel that has "turned". Ethanol fuels pull moisture from the air, and then it separates into that green slime.
With these ethanol laced fuels, you have to drive them, drain them, stabilize them, or use non-eth fuels. I hate ethanol, and the corn lobbyists. You cannot let these crappy fuels sit for more than about nine months before it turns green. Ask anyone who works on boats, lawn mowers, or chainsaws. I see it with vintage snowmobiles all the time. It makes maintaining lots of engines a real PITA. I drive into the next county to buy ethanol free fuels on a regular basis.

Last edited by twintracks; March 20th, 2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old March 19th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Justin

Well I have only been running 2gals of gas at a time this is less then 9 months old it was running fine when I painted it in September it's pretty nasty gas I was using 91 as that's the highest Octain here in Utah at the pump

Last edited by oldstata; March 20th, 2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old March 19th, 2015, 10:52 AM

That sure looks like green slime. Sometimes it comes out of the service station tanks like that if you get the bottom of the tank, or if it's just been refilled, and is agitated. It's a craps shoot if there is ethanol in there. I hate the stuff. It does not even smell right.
Old March 19th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Justin

Poor mans rebuild all complete tore it all down and blew carb cleaner threw all the passages then compressed air and some more carb cleaner cleaned out the little filter. Installed back on the car, just need to cut the zip tie to my 2 gal gas tank dump clean refill and reinstall I bought a inline filter to place after pump
Maybe, I can get my gas tank back in and not worry about the gas can
Old March 19th, 2015, 10:24 PM

Well this morning I pulled the carpet out of the 67 f85 post coupe and was completely disappointed. Somebody did a half *** restoration and tried to patch the floorpans. So they put down patch panels but instead of welding in they tried to rivet it every 6" and used a white caulking material. Needless to say all 4 patch panels were completely rusted out and half the material came out with the carpet. They put the carpet down with no padding and sprayed glue to hold carpet. It was a nightmare. And they didn't cut out the sections they were patching just put the plates on top and the drain plugs were missing so they had a 1/2" gap between the patch panels and floor and moisture just sat in there and went to town. The factory floors look 10× better than the patches. But anyway, I went to a buddy's house and cut off and moved his spare tire mount and rewelded for him. That's what the pics are. Productive and destructive day all in one. I got some free fish and beer out of the deal though!
Attached Images
20150319_151946.jpg (53.1 KB, 15 views)
20150319_152006.jpg (75.1 KB, 15 views)
Old March 19th, 2015, 10:58 PM

I drove mine! first week out of winter storage.

20150317_183507_zpshi5irdqc.jpg

Quick Reply: What have you done to your Oldsmobile today