General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What was the first Oldsmobile that YOU drove ?

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2007, 09:31 AM

What was the first Oldsmobile that YOU drove ?

The first Oldsmobile that I had a chance of driving was back in 1987 and it was a 1972 Hurst/Olds that was owned by my friend Greg. He also had a 1987 Buick Grand National that he bought new for the outrageous sum of 18K !!

That H/O was something though. He bought it from the original owner for something like $3000. It had the rare sunroof with the full vinyl top. It was in really good shape for a car only 17 years old. I bet it's worth HUGE $ now !
Old December 30th, 2007, 09:57 AM
1977 Cutlass Supreme

Cool First Olds I ever drove...

I grew up in a small town in Oklahoma. It was 1982 and I was 17-my first car was an '80 Firebird with a V6-way too underpowered. I took it down to the dealership I bought it from (an Olds-Pontiac brick dealership that dated back to the '30's) and asked what they had on the used lot that (1) I could afford and (2) had a V8. The choice was simple-a battered 4 door silver Dodge Diplomat or a nearly mint '77 Olds Cutlass Supreme, black with a black vinyl top and black cloth interior. It had about 30,000 miles on it, rally wheels, a cool stereo, and I could trade straight across for my Firebird. Done deal. I drove it straight to an old Texaco station my buddy worked at because the brakes felt weak to me. Turned out it needed new pads and shoes, so we did that.
Good thing, as it turned out. When I left the Texaco station, I punched it hard for the first time, and was amazed at how much more power it had than my V6 firebird. MY buddy, who was in the car said "No way this thing is stock-" so we opened the hood and looked at the engine (which, up to that point, we hadn't really paid much attention to.) Upon closed inspection we found that the supposed 350 was actually a built 403. Someone had installed an aluminum Edelbrock intake and painted it GM engine blue to match the block. The Quadrajet was an earlier model with a higher CFM. The ignition was upgraded and the cap simply sprayed black-looked stock. Big exhaust, shift kit, etc. Whoever had done the work knew his stuff. I beat most of the cars in our little farm town with it.
I drove it about a year and traded it in on a smogged out '82 Trans Am with a 305-biggest mistake I ever made.
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Hmmm... I think the first Oldsmobile I ever drove was my 64 98. Before that I had a 75 Chevy Caprice that I drove in high school. The first Oldsmobile I ever rode in was my dad's 1971 Cutlass S that my parents took me home from the hospital in.
Old December 30th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The first Oldsmobile I ever remember driving was a new 1964 88 red convertible. I lived in Monroe, LA and I drove the car in the Miss Louisiana Pagent for one of the contestants. I had just graduated from high school. It was pretty cool for a 17 year old.
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

68 Vista Cruiser that was a hand-me-down from my folks. I promptly replaced the 350 with a 425 and proceeded to dust a 69 Mach 1 with it.
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

My first one was the gray 85 in my sig. A man in the neighborhood in his late 80s crashed it into a garbage truck and smashed the hood, fenders and, header panel pretty bad. My buddy and I decided to offer him $50 bucks for it and see if he'd sell. I was only 15 yrs old and was betting on the old timer not asking my age or for my license. It turns out he was going to junk it the next day anyway and my buddy came up with the $50. We then proceeded to rig in a 60's radiator (that was WAY too tall) that another friend's dad had in the garage.
We drove the thing away all effed up at night and went down to where they were building a new giant Loews movie theatre. We literally Dukes of Hazzarded this car getting it airborne several times on giant dirt mounds until we broke every stud out of the front rotor and the wheel fell off. The next day I went back to check it out, and it was horrifying. The thing had an inch of mud on it, and looked so pitiful with its missing wheel laying in a pile of crap. I felt so awful about what I had done that I sold my bike (that I built), gave my buddy his $50 and bought a new rotor. I sat in the mud with a jack, some plywood, and a bunch of tools I took from my dad when he was asleep, and fixed it.
All was forgiven and we've been best friends since. I'm 25 now.
Old December 30th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Past Administrator

1971 Cutlass S that we drove my son (olds64) home in. Rootbeer brown with gold stripes and black interior; stock 350/350 combo with headers and chrome dress-ups. Very nice car.
Old December 30th, 2007, 04:32 PM

My first Olds was a 68 442 4Sp, in 68 when I got out off the army. $3400 bucks
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:20 PM

The first Oldsmobile I drove

My first Olds was a 1971 Cutlass S in 1984. I bought it because it was what I could afford and I liked the body lines. The green interior and green **** carpet (not automotive carpet!) wasn't my favorite color though. A few months later I was driving home from work and spotted a bright yellow car being eaten by the blackberry vines with a familiar shape. It was a Rallye 350 that was missing the muncie 4 speed and was rusty but I bought it for $40 and towed it home. I had no idea what it was but knew it looked cool! At that point I was bit by the bug and have been driving Oldsmobiles every since.
Old December 31st, 2007, 05:41 AM
Past Administrator

I remember when people put **** carpet in cars, glad we don't now though. That must have been a carry over from the custom van crowd. Yuck!
Old December 31st, 2007, 02:11 PM

I really can't remember the first one I drove, I've driven many due to the fact that my dad owns a used car lot, and I started driving cars to and from auctions the day I got my license. But the one I'll never forget is 1974, 442, midnite blue with the stripes, and the vents in the hood. It had a bad tranny when I bought it (I was 19), an old guy my dad knew, that was semi-retired, built a 400 turbo for it. And with the 350 with performer intake, cam, and headers, It was a great car to drive. I believe it had a 4.11 rear end in it, and if I jumped on it with the tranny in drive, it would chirp the tires from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. I loved that car and my girlfriend at the time hated it. I ended up totaling it 2 days before I went into the army, and I still miss it.
mike
Old December 31st, 2007, 03:57 PM

Got my license in 1972 and drove my pop's 67 Cutlass 4dr...pretty peppy I thought with the HC 330 and 4bbl!
Old December 31st, 2007, 05:29 PM

The first olds that I ever drove was a 1953 98 that belonged to my dad. I use to drive it while he worked the gas and the brakes. He also had a 49 olds at the same time. That was the second one that I drove.
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:56 AM
same but different

My first olds was a 71 S. I paid $65 for it with slipping tranny. That was back in '85....I think. It was very much like how oldsguy described his first. I still have some parts of it on my current 71 S.
Old January 1st, 2008, 02:49 PM

My first Olds was a 1966 Cutlass 330 4 barrel w/ 2 speed Jetaway. Turquoise blue w/ a black vinyl top and black bench seat interior. I bought it from a used car lot in 1975 with the help of my step-dad for $625. It had the vacuum trunck unlatch option. That was nice feature. It also had tilt column. I took the tilt lever off and kept it in the glove box cause my brother or a buddy was always adjusting the column.

For a while the Mustang guys around our small town wanted to run 'um. They're 289's always got me off the line. But I'd catch them pretty quick. And they always saw Cutlass taillights at the finish line. Final tally, Cutlass 5 or 6 and Mustangs 0.

Don
Old January 1st, 2008, 03:57 PM

The first Oldsmobile I drove also happened to be the very first CAR I drove period! It was a '70 SX that belonged to my sister at the time. When I was 15, my dad took me out in it for my first driving lesson, before I even had a permit! ( one of the perks of living in the rurals) After my sister moved away to go to college, I inherited that car (for about $1,200) and owned it for the next 4 years. Regrettably I sold it in 1979, saw it around town a few times, and now wish I still had it. LOT'S of good memories with that car. I hope to own an SX again someday.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:49 AM

Grandpop's Cutlass in 1993 when I had my permit. First time I ever drove on the highway (Garden State Parkway) He lived down the shore and picked me up at the bus station when I stayed at his house a week before my parents came down for the week.

It was a 92 and the newest car I drove till that point
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:40 AM
Past Administrator

Mike, I noticed that was your first post, welcome to our site. What are you driving now?
Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:59 AM

Well, if Drivers Ed is included, I guess it would have to be the 1990 Cieras we had in class. Other wise, it was my 75 Omega.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM

The first oldsmobile i drove was my friends 69 Toronado 400hp 455. Which is upsetting because he bought it for 200 bucks, I was going to buy it but it didnt run at the time.
Old January 6th, 2008, 07:04 PM

First & second Olds I drove

Had my first & second Olds in Chicago, a 50 Olds 88 club coupe light gray primer and Red rims had Zephyr gears & a 4 barrel & manifold off a newer Olds it hauled, the second was another 50 Olds 88 club coupe with a hydro.

Just bought another 50 Olds 88 club coupe today in Fla, now i have to get it back here, it will be light gray primer with Red rims.
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Past Administrator

Why the username Nailhead 88?
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:20 AM

First Olds

My first Olds was a 1940 Coupe Hydro. Wow I loved it. Had to pay for it in payments. Hard to make on.35cent an hour working at a Shell Station in 1945. Andy
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:29 AM

My first Olds was a 64 Cutlass Convertible that I purchased when I was 18. I had alot of fun with that car and drove it until I was 27. I sold it just before I got married and purchased a 1980 Cutlass. I only had that car for about a year and moved onto other vehilces. Then in the 1990's I purchased a 1970 Cutlass W31 and had some fun showing that car but ran into some financial difficulties and ended up selling it. 3 years later the guy I sold the car to had it up for sale and I purchased it back from him. I kept it for approx. 2 years and decided it was time to sell since the market for muscle cars was starting to go through the roof. That car ended up in Florida the last time I saw it.
Soon after my daughter wanted another old car so I picked up a 1970 Cutlass S drove it for a year, sold it, then picked up a 72 Cutlass S (still have it is for sale) but I truely missed having a 64 Cutlass convetible. So I set out to find another one and located one in South Carolina and had it shipped to NJ back in November. I have been slowly getting it into a nice driver/cruise night car. Well that is my story. So if anyone knows someone looking for a nice driver 72 Cutlass S I have one looking to sell.
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Why the username Nailhead 88?
Kind of a Buick / Oldsmobile morphation thing.
Old January 7th, 2008, 03:14 PM

nailhead 88

Oldsguy, Well Dan it's like this, it's easy to remember nobody would even think of it. I'm torn between Buick's & Olds hey throw in some Pontiac's to. My 1st & second cars in Chicago were 50 Olds 88 club coupes, never got that out of my head.

Just bought number 3 yesterday. I need the 88, now i have it almost, it's in Florida I'm in Minnesota. The rest of the story! I rode in many Buick's & have 9 now. Hey it's a sickness GM-ITIS. I'll close this book now i could go on and on --- Yea got a 56 Studebaker Power Hawk too

Last edited by Nailhead 88; January 7th, 2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: ad
Old January 8th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Vista Cruiser, dang if I can remember the year, but it was old. Two years later I had to give it up and go overseas. Sad day she sure was ugly, but run and felt smooth.
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM

First one I ever DROVE was an '86 Cutlass Supreme I took for a test run from a local Pontiac dealership in '94. Beautiful car, but they wanted $6,500; WAY outta my price range at the time. First Olds I ever owned was the '69 Cutlass Supreme I bought in May of last year. First fond Olds memory was a 1980 Delta 88 two friends and I acquired (J-Chicago might want to stop reading here); we used it in a local demolition derby. We made it to the final, but the tranny crapped out in the first minute. The best part was watching it deliver the death blow to an early 70s Lincoln Continental during the qualifier.

- GoldOlds
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Red69CutlassS

First Olds I have driven is the one I still have right now. I got my 69' Cutlass S from a guy in Idaho for $3500 with two big rusted out holes in the quarter panels and exhaust pipes about ready to fall off. I got it home and restored it in my High School Auto Body Shop with my shop teacher. That took me about 2 years and now I'm drving it almost everyday.
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM

My big sister's 71' Cutlass when I was in 8th grade. I've been hooked ever since!
Old January 21st, 2008, 11:19 PM
dar83501

first car I ever drove was a 1982 Oldsmobile Toronado that was beat to all hell, had bald tires, needed an alignment, the exhaust leaked, the engine smoked and knocked, burned about a quart of oil a week, the steering was sluggish, the speedometer didn't work...

and I loved it.

Mobbed around on gravelled roads around here, learning to drive.

It's probably why i'm such a good driver now.

Old January 28th, 2008, 09:09 PM

My first Olds drive was my aunt's 71 Cutlass Supreme Convertible-I was 16 and had lusted after that car for 10 years. She would never part with (and still hasn't) so I finally bought my own two years ago: a nearly perfect '72 Supreme convertible.
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM

My first ride in an Olds was my fathers 1971 Cutlass s. I fell in love with everything about it. He traded it in for a 77 Delta 88. Great car, but not as fun as the Cutlass. In 86 I bought a 68 442 conv 4spd. It has a bbc 396 in it that the second owner installed since the original 400 was lent to a friend and returned in chunks. I drove it for 6 yrs, decided to restore it, blasted and rebuilt the chassis, got married, had kids, and due to time and money shortages had to let it sit. The kids are older, the wife is involved with her stuff, and money and time aren't as tight so it's time to pick up where I left off. Great forum by the way, I'm losing sleep catching up on it!

Rhett
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:52 AM

I've never driven an Oldsmobile
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM

I learned to drive in a brand new 76 Baby blue Cutlass 442. That was a few years ago already. I remember that car had pretty good get up and go for a 350 4bbl with auto.
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:24 AM

First Olds

First Olds driven (and owned) was a 1982 Cutlass Calais - Rosewood in color with a burgundy landau top and burgundy interior. It had been in the family since new. It originally had the 260 V-8 under the hood, got about 90000 miles out of it before it finally went kaput. Put a 350 under the hood and drove it for another year until I sold it (decided to buy a new car, something that I am embarrassed to say that I bought). God I miss that Calais...

Brian
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM

My first Olds was 65 Olds 442 back in 74. I remember how fast it was with the 400, 4 barrel 4 speed and dual exhaust.
Pat
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM

My first dream car...

My first Olds was a 1969 Cutlass S. Bought it in 1976 with the help of my grandmother for $700.00 or so. On my fourth one now. A 1985 Cutlass Brougham all power including the back seat vents. Still cool after all these years.
Old February 5th, 2008, 04:38 PM

I sold my 69 GTO convertible and bought a 1981 olds cutlass with a v6. (wipe my tears here). This was in 1987. The goat had a rotted and cracking frame and I was in the middle of my college years. The cutlass served me well for about 6 months until the engine cought fire in the parking lot at work. Never found out why, but it was a big loss for someone that was broke. The firemen wanted to arrest me until I told them it wasn't insured for fire. I still want another cutlass of that vintage. This one will have a transplanted 455. I'd prefer a clean 442 of course. One with a good color combination. (no maroon interiors... You know what I'm talking about). Still wiping tears...I realize this is an olds site but I'd love to get my GTO back rotted frame and all. After all, that was the inspiration to buy the 68 cutlass convertible.
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM
rohman

1976 triple blue delta 88- got it from a friends dad for a buck- it was pristine.

Quick Reply: What was the first Oldsmobile that YOU drove ?