General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What do you use?

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Crazy Canuck

What do you use?

What do you use to clean grease, grim off of paint? I am looking to clean under the hood, the frame, suspension etc. The paint on the car is fantastic but hidden because of all the grease and grim.

Wayne
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Administrator

You might try simple green cleaner, I don't have near the vacuum lines and stuff on top and around my engine compartment as you though.
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Crazy Canuck

Good point - I have way too much smug junk! I will lay plastic over the engine bay so that shouldn't be an issue. My biggest concern is not damaging the paint.
Old September 14th, 2014, 04:05 PM

It may sound crazy, and you might be pretty particular about it being really clean under there if you like to show it and such, but ive always felt that that nice layer of oily/greasy stuff is what keeps these cars alive under there for so long. I leave all the grease on my engine/control arms/front end cause when I scrape it off the 50 yr old paint dries up, flakes off, and if its an outside or daily driven car (like mine) rust almost immediately takes place of the grease. IMO it preserves whats underneath, and if its not too thick or unsightly I don't mind it. unless you really went all out under there pulled the engine for a restoration and such, then a proper cleaning with some purple power or engine bright (both are fine for the paint, as long as you don't scrub or scrape with tools too hard should break down the grease), do it at the local self spray car wash rinse with the power sprayer so the gooey chunks go down their drain not your driveway. then probably just do some paint touch ups with flat black. this is something ive talked about a lot at shows, to clean or not to clean.
Old September 15th, 2014, 06:15 PM

Simple green works well on oily dusty crap. It is not too effective on grease. Use hot water if you can.
The orange citrus stuff is more potent but it damages paint.
I have had good luck with gunk on paint, but try in a small conspicuous place first.