General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What do you drive for a Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by jpc647
I'm starting this thread because I can't make up my mind on what I should get for a replacement car. I currently have a 1988 Ford Thunderbird. Driven it for 5 years all through high school and most of college, replaced the original 3.8l with a 5.0 and the car is starting to fall apart. Looking for something "sporty but economical".

I have so far looked at a 2011 Camaro v6/v8 models, a 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo SS, a 2008 Infinity g35s, a 2008 Audi A4 titanium(which I most likely would have bought if I didn't think it was wrecked at one point, a 2010 Hyundai Genesis "Track Pack", and a 2011 Suburu Wrx.

Budget seems to be about $35,000 or less.

Looking to see what all of you drive, and how you like them, or don't. Again, looking for options/opinions.
Buy what you are really dying to own. My biggest regret was never getting the new 68 Z28. (Yea, I'm 60) Don't let anyone talk you into something you don't want. If cars are important to you then absolutely get what you dream of. Life is too short. Oh and if by chance you have a change of heart and sell that dream car in 6 months at a loss, you'll never be able to look back and say "Gee, wish I would have gotten that "????" car when I had the chance". I guarantee you won't remember how much you lost on that car. You'll remember the fact that you owned it when it was important to you.
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I now drive a 2007 Sonata. My 1995 Regency Elite has become too unreliable to trust for regular driving. Maybe this summer I'll tackle the overheating and idling problem. For now it just wastes space in my driveway. Thought of keeping it for my son, but I need something that won't let me or him down. Might get rid of it later this year. Anyone intested?

This is what my new driver looks like:

This thing is loaded to the gunwales, 3.3 V6 with 235 hp, 5 sp auto ALL the whistles and bells + heated leather seats (still smells like a new car) with only 50,000 miles. Drives like a dream, fantastic visibility, agile handling, quick steering response, very quiet ride. I'm the second owner. Paid 12 large August 2010 and it's still under warranty!!! Also got new rubber and brakes thrown in N/C as part of the deal. Yessir! Hyundai has come a long way. Never thought I'd buy one till I started scoping out the market for reliability and affordability....probably one of the best auto purchases I've ever done
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by italian ice
Buy what you are really dying to own. My biggest regret was never getting the new 68 Z28. (Yea, I'm 60) Don't let anyone talk you into something you don't want. If cars are important to you then absolutely get what you dream of. Life is too short. Oh and if by chance you have a change of heart and sell that dream car in 6 months at a loss, you'll never be able to look back and say "Gee, wish I would have gotten that "????" car when I had the chance". I guarantee you won't remember how much you lost on that car. You'll remember the fact that you owned it when it was important to you.
Excellent logic and extraordinary guidance!
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
If you're seeking financial advice.....
You would probably do best by knowing the level of personal success of the person giving it to you.
It's not as important , but helps Makes sense right ??

BUT.....if you're seeking dating or female attraction advice.....
You're gonna want to know how hot the guys wife is or girlfriend. Make sense right ??
Could be a guy with this kind of success telling you how to attract a woman. LOL

The problem with forums where anonymity is prevalent, you don't know who looks like
this behind a computer screen trying to be an E-pimp.

Dude, You "so" get to the point on any "material" at hand and you're hilarious to boot!
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:03 PM

Hey, someone's gotta be the dick head that keeps it real and makes everyone laugh.

Originally Posted by Allan R
I now drive a 2007 Sonata.
This thing is loaded to the gunwales, 3.3 V6 with 235 hp, 5 sp auto ALL the whistles and bells + heated leather seats (still smells like a new car) with only 50,000 miles. Drives like a dream, fantastic visibility, agile handling, quick steering response, very quiet ride. I'm the second owner. Paid 12 large August 2010 and it's still under warranty!!!
Hyundai's have come a looooong way since the 90's with those craptastic Tercel lunchboxes.
I have to give them alot of credit for their designs and massive improvements in quality control.

The new Genesis sport coupes are a hell of a great looking car IMO, and performance.
Interior AND Exterior, they've put ALOT of attention to detail to their designs.
Their sales for 2009 or 2010 were up 52% for the year.

I'm pretty sure it was 2009. Totally revamped the company.

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 1st, 2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:04 AM

This was my daily driver until last year (1998 Intrigue Autobahn). Now it's my son's car.

DSC_6259.jpg

Now it's this (2001 Aurora)

The Genesis, looks like it was copied from the Alero Alpha.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
An Oldsmobile
OR OLDSMOBILE POWER! (My 1985 Buick Riveria has an Olds 307 motor)
Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:46 PM

Hey, someone's gotta be the dick head that keeps it real and makes everyone laugh

And you do it so well! Hey...I just typed up a few words of respect regarding this whole conversation, went a lil overboard too. Then I pasted it to private message you and it went bye bye to another direction! Anyhow, I can't fathom putting $25K down on any new car, especially when you don't have your own place. I know I would have been glad to have $25K at 20 yrs old who would not? Especially NOW! And I know you are only going to receive a s***load of respect from a future wife and friends you make down this path of life if you put that money toward down payment for a place of your own than a new car. Yes? Keep it up dude! We are ALL interested in the outcome of this chapter in his life. I do wish him the best and hope he gets what he really wants.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Moses
Hey, someone's gotta be the dick head that keeps it real and makes everyone laugh

And you do it so well! Hey...I just typed up a few words of respect regarding this whole conversation, went a lil overboard too. Then I pasted it to private message you and it went bye bye to another direction! Anyhow, I can't fathom putting $25K down on any new car, especially when you don't have your own place. I know I would have been glad to have $25K at 20 yrs old who would not? Especially NOW! And I know you are only going to receive a s***load of respect from a future wife and friends you make down this path of life if you put that money toward down payment for a place of your own than a new car. Yes? Keep it up dude! We are ALL interested in the outcome of this chapter in his life. I do wish him the best and hope he gets what he really wants.
I’m still in college, got about a year left before I can even consider buying my own place. Secondly, living in Massachusetts, where everything is exorbitantly expensive, putting 25k down on a house isn’t much. It’s going to be a pretty crappy house or the bank will just laugh at me. $25,000 compared to a 300,000 house which is “cheap” around me, is nothing. I would imagine It’d have to have 60-70k to put down to be able to make any substantial dent.

Originally Posted by italian ice
This was my original attitude. The only reason I’ve been able to save what I have is because I’m in college, I still live at home(when not at school) and I work 6 days a week. I have two jobs, when not in school and I save everything I can. I do 99% of all my own car repairs, etc. I’m going to school for Engineering, but realistically, this may be the only time in my life I’ll ever get to buy “What I want”.

I just want to throw it out there, I need a new car. This isn’t that I just don’t like my Ford anymore and want someone else, it’s literally rusting out around me, and without a restoration it’s not savable. And who really cares about an 88 thunderbird anyway, right?
I backed out of the Hyundai because they tried to screw me on the warranty, and I did go back to look at the ’06 Monte Carlo. It’s really clean, I made them put it on a lift for me and its like a new car underneath. The car still has the original Goodyear Eagle’s but they either need balancing or have flat spots in them, as the car shakes at like 70mph. Other than that the car is nice, it’s just pretty basic inside. It’s got an XM radio and Onstar, but that’s about it for thrills. Except for the 303hp sideways mounted 5.3 motor. It’d probably be reliable, decent on gas(considering) and have some spunk. All said and done, it’d be close to 20k(with an extended warranty, etc). But it’s got a nice look to it.

As of right now, I’m still undecided, and still looking.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:42 PM

I’m still in college, got about a year left before I can even consider buying my own place. Secondly, living in Massachusetts, where everything is exorbitantly expensive, putting 25k down on a house isn’t much. It’s going to be a pretty crappy house or the bank will just laugh at me. $25,000 compared to a 300,000 house which is “cheap” around me, is nothing. I would imagine It’d have to have 60-70k to put down to be able to make any substantial dent.

This was my original attitude. The only reason I’ve been able to save what I have is because I’m in college, I still live at home(when not at school) and I work 6 days a week. I have two jobs, when not in school and I save everything I can. I do 99% of all my own car repairs, etc. I’m going to school for Engineering, but realistically, this may be the only time in my life I’ll ever get to buy “What I want”.

I just want to throw it out there, I need a new car. This isn’t that I just don’t like my Ford anymore and want someone else, it’s literally rusting out around me, and without a restoration it’s not savable. And who really cares about an 88 thunderbird anyway, right?
I backed out of the Hyundai because they tried to screw me on the warranty, and I did go back to look at the ’06 Monte Carlo. It’s really clean, I made them put it on a lift for me and its like a new car underneath. The car still has the original Goodyear Eagle’s but they either need balancing or have flat spots in them, as the car shakes at like 70mph. Other than that the car is nice, it’s just pretty basic inside. It’s got an XM radio and Onstar, but that’s about it for thrills. Except for the 303hp sideways mounted 5.3 motor. It’d probably be reliable, decent on gas(considering) and have some spunk. All said and done, it’d be close to 20k(with an extended warranty, etc). But it’s got a nice look to it.

Now I see more of YOUR situation and from where in this country you are located. I have been to Boston, MA and YES it's very expensive! And 20% down on ANY homestead is most likely a HUGE chuckle coming from any bank loan officer.
I don't fault you on your decision backing out on that Hyundai dealer. Before I bought my '68 I was seriously checking out the '04-'09 Monte SS's. They didn't give that characteristic you get from older muscle cars. Yes they are fast but all in all that's about it in comparison to vintage muscle. When I bought a mint condition loaded '04 Impala LS in '06, I learned that by comparison, the Impala LS with 3.8 and the Monte Carlo with 3.8 and same equipment, the Impala was faster off the line. And yes the Impala is more comfortable for the driver and there is room for 3+ passengers, has better mpg and it's lighter in weight than the Monte. The Impala is also a better resale value!
You do have some tough choices ahead of you. A used Acura, Lexus, vintage Oldsmobile, etc...It's tough. My buddy worked with me for a few years while attending college for his bachelor's all the while driving and fixing up unmarked Caprice's. Soon afterward, he went for his Master's and bought '04 6.0 GTO with his savings. He personified it to his liking, still has it and drives it now and then. He daily drives to his 8-6 6 day a week job in a '95 Roadmaster while paying off over $100K school loan. You do what you can with what you have and make the best of it for you and yours. Good luck to your decision (s).
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

.................. I backed out of the Hyundai because they tried to screw me on the warranty......
I respect your decision. Just a little curious to know what the deal breaker was on the warranty, because I thought there was no warranty negotiation. You get warranty- period - for the full 5 years or mileage. I guess that has never been an issue for me and my 07.

Is this a common problem where you live, because it's not up here. Yes I think the sales staff is a little pushy but I know how to push back too. I'd love to hear back from you, because my son is VERY interested (read:hung up on) a Genesis Coupe. Doesn't want brand new to avoid depreciation costs, but with enough warranty that he won't have to worry much. I really like the look of the Genesis Coupe inside and out. My problem is getting in and out of the darn thing. I would seriously consider buying a newer Genesis Sedan, or maybe the Equus in a few years. I am really impressed with the quality of the Hyundai I bought. Doubt if I will ever buy again from GM - been screwed by their service dept every single time I went in - and to boot they didn't fit the probems! Just bent me over the counter and took my money I didn't buy from Hyundai, I bought my Sonata from a Dodge dealer. I went to Hyundai for a couple of warranty issues and they have treated me VERY well and guess what ? No charge!! My 5 year warranty will expire in Nov 2011 long before I get to the mileage factor.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:49 PM

I respect your decision. Just a little curious to know what the deal breaker was on the warranty, because I thought there was no warranty negotiation. You get warranty- period - for the full 5 years or mileage. I guess that has never been an issue for me and my 07. [IMG]file:///C:/Users/caloccij/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

Is this a common problem where you live, because it's not up here. Yes I think the sales staff is a little pushy but I know how to push back too.[IMG]file:///C:/Users/caloccij/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG] I'd love to hear back from you, because my son is VERY interested (read:hung up on) a Genesis Coupe. Doesn't want brand new to avoid depreciation costs, but with enough warranty that he won't have to worry much. I really like the look of the Genesis Coupe inside and out. My problem is getting in and out of the darn thing. I would seriously consider buying a newer Genesis Sedan, or maybe the Equus in a few years. I am really impressed with the quality of the Hyundai I bought. Doubt if I will ever buy again from GM - been screwed by their service dept every single time I went in - and to boot they didn't fit the probems! [IMG]file:///C:/Users/caloccij/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.gif[/IMG]Just bent me over the counter and took my money[IMG]file:///C:/Users/caloccij/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.gif[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/caloccij/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.gif[/IMG] I didn't buy from Hyundai, I bought my Sonata from a Dodge dealer. I went to Hyundai for a couple of warranty issues and they have treated me VERY well and guess what ? No charge!! [IMG]file:///C:/Users/caloccij/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.gif[/IMG]My 5 year warranty will expire in Nov 2011 long before I get to the mileage factor.
Be glad to tell you about it. You are correct, you get the remainder of the 5 yr/60,000 mile warranty on any Hyundai used car. If you choose to pay extra for a Hyundai “certified used” car, they add a 10year/100k mile powertrain warranty. The 10 year starts from your date of purchase, not the original one, but the mileage limit is a continuation of the current mileage.
The salesman I dealt with told me it was a 10 year/100k mile bumper to bumper warranty, and even wrote that on the piece of paper where we were negotiating price. After I put a deposit and waited for the credit application to be approved all of a sudden “he never said it was bumper to bumper, and all that shi*”. The old bait and switch tactic. Then they tried to roll in the additional 1,100 for the extended warranty into the loan and thought I wouldn’t notice. It’d have to be an idiot to not notice an extra 1,100. So I demanded my deposit back and walked out. That was almost a week ago, and guess what, the car is still sitting on their lot.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:54 PM

Now I see more of YOUR situation and from where in this country you are located. I have been to Boston, MA and YES it's very expensive! And 20% down on ANY homestead is most likely a HUGE chuckle coming from any bank loan officer.
I don't fault you on your decision backing out on that Hyundai dealer. Before I bought my '68 I was seriously checking out the '04-'09 Monte SS's. They didn't give that characteristic you get from older muscle cars. Yes they are fast but all in all that's about it in comparison to vintage muscle. When I bought a mint condition loaded '04 Impala LS in '06, I learned that by comparison, the Impala LS with 3.8 and the Monte Carlo with 3.8 and same equipment, the Impala was faster off the line. And yes the Impala is more comfortable for the driver and there is room for 3+ passengers, has better mpg and it's lighter in weight than the Monte. The Impala is also a better resale value!
You do have some tough choices ahead of you. A used Acura, Lexus, vintage Oldsmobile, etc...It's tough. My buddy worked with me for a few years while attending college for his bachelor's all the while driving and fixing up unmarked Caprice's. Soon afterward, he went for his Master's and bought '04 6.0 GTO with his savings. He personified it to his liking, still has it and drives it now and then. He daily drives to his 8-6 6 day a week job in a '95 Roadmaster while paying off over $100K school loan. You do what you can with what you have and make the best of it for you and yours. Good luck to your decision (s).
I'll be saving a long time for a house. I already have a vintage Oldsmobile, and have looked at Lexus without much that I like. I've been checking into Acura's today, so we'll see.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:50 PM

An '07 Saturn Aura XR. 39k on the ticker, heated leather, Caddy 3.6l 252hp, 0-60-5.9 sec. 14.5-1/4. handles well, solid, 28mpg, and I enjoy driving it.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Be glad to tell you about it. You are correct, you get the remainder of the 5 yr/60,000 mile warranty on any Hyundai used car. If you choose to pay extra for a Hyundai “certified used” car, they add a 10year/100k mile powertrain warranty. The 10 year starts from your date of purchase, not the original one, but the mileage limit is a continuation of the current mileage.
The salesman I dealt with told me it was a 10 year/100k mile bumper to bumper warranty, and even wrote that on the piece of paper where we were negotiating price. After I put a deposit and waited for the credit application to be approved all of a sudden “he never said it was bumper to bumper, and all that shi*”. The old bait and switch tactic. Then they tried to roll in the additional 1,100 for the extended warranty into the loan and thought I wouldn’t notice. It’d have to be an idiot to not notice an extra 1,100. So I demanded my deposit back and walked out. That was almost a week ago, and guess what, the car is still sitting on their lot.
Well, knowing 'the rest of the story' sure puts it in perspective. I would have done the same to that idiotstick. But I would also consider that one idiot dealer may be just one idiot dealer. Are there other Hyundai dealers that you can shop at there? I'm not trying to promote Hyundai, just suggesting that ethics amongst salepeople do vary. I seem to run into quite a few with good ethics. I don't think I would brand the product and company by the actions of this bad experience.

You can also research the warranties on line and take along your BS meter to play when the Sh*t starts flying. Did you talk to the dealer principal about what happened? Most of them don't want their store besmearched by bad word of mouth. If I owned that dealership, the saleperson would be looking for a new job, and I would be offering you a price discount on the car = to the cost of the extra warranty, because I want you to be happy, be a return customer, and send me your friends too! Used car dealerships rely on goodwill and + relationships they build with their clients and community. And, I would put that in writing and honor it.

Something doesn't sound right about the extended warranty 'ploy'. I took the liberty of looking up the Hyundai "Certified Pre Owned Vehicle- CPOV" warranty and they are pretty specific. Sounds to me like the warranty wasn't properly explained to you. Car must be less than 5 yrs old AND less than 60,000 miles. The extended warranty does not give an 'extra 100,00', it simply covers the vehicle for 100,000 miles. Here's a link to the press release: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/01/h...wned-vehicles/ I think it's important to note: The enhanced pre-owned program was launched to Hyundai dealers in May 2007, with warranty being effective from date of original sale Other specific rememdies are also listed. So, in effect you don't get extra mileage, you get extra powertrain warranty. Sadly, there is nothing in the release about 'bumper to bumper'.

Up here in Canada, the H warranty is 5 year, 100,000 km. In the USA I don't know what it is. I've heard everything from 00000 zip, nada, zilch to 5yr 600000 to 5yr 100,000 miles. One thing about warranties: They're only as good as the value they give you. Ask me how I know.....

I have never bought an extended car warranty in my life because most of the time you never need it. And if today's cars are being built with better standards, you should never need it.

I sincerly hope you get the vehicle of your dreams, and that you meet and deal with the best and most ethical sales person in the world. Looking forward to seeing what you buy
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:04 PM

Well, knowing 'the rest of the story' sure puts it in perspective. I would have done the same to that idiotstick. But I would also consider that one idiot dealer may be just one idiot dealer. Are there other Hyundai dealers that you can shop at there? I'm not trying to promote Hyundai, just suggesting that ethics amongst salepeople do vary. I seem to run into quite a few with good ethics. I don't think I would brand the product and company by the actions of this bad experience.

You can also research the warranties on line and take along your BS meter to play when the Sh*t starts flying. Did you talk to the dealer principal about what happened? Most of them don't want their store besmearched by bad word of mouth. If I owned that dealership, the saleperson would be looking for a new job, and I would be offering you a price discount on the car = to the cost of the extra warranty, because I want you to be happy, be a return customer, and send me your friends too! Used car dealerships rely on goodwill and + relationships they build with their clients and community. And, I would put that in writing and honor it.

I have never bought an extended car warranty in my life because most of the time you never need it. And if today's cars are being built with better standards, you should never need it.

I sincerly hope you get the vehicle of your dreams, and that you meet and deal with the best and most ethical sales person in the world. Looking forward to seeing what you buy[IMG]file:///C:/Users/caloccij/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
Sorry I never explained the whole situation. There are other Hyundai dealers around, but none of them have a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8l Track Pack 6 speed in stock. Actually no other dealer around has a 3.8 track pack period. I’m not turned off to the car itself, I just know it’s the only one around. The service manager called me to talk about it. They offered to take $200 off the “extended warranty”. They told me there wasn’t enough “meat on the bone” for the car for them to do it for free. Funny thing is, on the Gencoupe forum I found the guy who traded the car in, he got 24 as a trade in, so factoring that, plus dealerships bs $349 doc fee there was plenty of meat on the bone.
I’m not sure about th extended warranties. If I bought that Monte Carlo, I’ve read about the tranny problems, It’d sort of want one. It’d think?
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:06 PM

I'm not sure the Impala has a better resale value, they seem the Impala SS and the Monte SS seem to be selling for around the same. All the "sticker" prices and prices posted seem to be around 18k +/-.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM

well the 72 convertible was my daily driver for about 7 years... got smokey and all seals leaking. Parked in hangar for about 8 years... refurb is coming up now!
until then duties shared with 2007 chebby colorodo and a 20009 mustang convertible.
I figure to stick with heavy american iron! a Guard rail in the door beats air bags! Remember, you are my crumple zone!
Done the small car thing... you can buy one heck of a lot of gas for what you will pay for 1 hour in the operating room after some bozo hits you in your little car... And it will hurt like Hades everytime the weather changes!
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
well the 72 convertible was my daily driver for about 7 years... got smokey and all seals leaking. Parked in hangar for about 8 years... refurb is coming up now!
until then duties shared with 2007 chebby colorodo and a 20009 mustang convertible.
I figure to stick with heavy american iron! a Guard rail in the door beats air bags! Remember, you are my crumple zone!
Done the small car thing... you can buy one heck of a lot of gas for what you will pay for 1 hour in the operating room after some bozo hits you in your little car... And it will hurt like Hades everytime the weather changes!
For what I would pay for 1 hour in the operating room, I couldn't buy a Diet Coke with that. However, I understand what you're saying. My son just got his license and I gave him our Intrigue because I didn't want him driving a little Ford Aspire. I feel that he is safer (as a new driver) in the Intrigue and I sleep better at night knowing that.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:11 PM

Excellent! Glad you stood your ground!! The dealer needs us more than we need them!
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:42 AM

All said and done, it’d be close to 20k(with an extended warranty, etc).
$20,000.....I'd be looking at that Acura RL option.

Boston area eh? I was stationed at Fort Devens in Ayer MA for my 1st round of Intel training before they shut it down 17 years ago. Same base they trained the 101st Airborne screamin Eagles during WWII. Boston was beautiful and I'm still a Patriots fan even after Bledsoe left.

OH yeah, funny that you mention Ford's and rusting out. Our new fleet of trucks at work is now Ford F150's, replacing our aging 95 GMC Sierra's. One of the guys has a 2007 F150 basic 2WD single cab pickup. His driveshaft is nearly rusted through......no BS, it's $1200 to replace it through the dealer. Great materials they're using these days.

Funny thing is, on the Gencoupe forum I found the guy who traded the car in, he got 24 as a trade in, so factoring that, plus dealerships bs $349 doc fee there was plenty of meat on the bone.
There always is.

They make the majority of their revenue from used car sales because of depreciation and they give you bottom dollar on trade in. Usually it's far below blue book. Then they tack on several thousand for profit and negotiation room and advertise it. I've had several buddies who were dealers. It's all a cat and mouse game.

I remember buying my Lexus I called the dealer and asked what they could do on price BEFORE I got there. (asking $10,000) They said nothing because it was below blue book. I thanked them for their time and hung up. LITERALLY 2 minutes later they called me back saying he spoke with his service manager who was willing to knock off $1000. Just that fast, and since I searched for months and they had the lowest mile tuxedo black one I wanted, I told him to wash it and I was coming to get it.

Don't EVER tell a dealer what you want your monthly payment to be at.
Also don't tell them if you have approved financing yet.
Wait until you get the lowest price on paper.

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 4th, 2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
$20,000.....I'd be looking at that Acura RL option.

Boston area eh? I was stationed at Fort Devens in Ayer MA for my 1st round of Intel training before they shut it down 17 years ago. Same base they trained the 101st Airborne screamin Eagles during WWII. Boston was beautiful and I'm still a Patriots fan even after Bledsoe left.

OH yeah, funny that you mention Ford's and rusting out. Our new fleet of trucks at work is now Ford F150's, replacing our aging 95 GMC Sierra's. One of the guys has a 2007 F150 basic 2WD single cab pickup. His driveshaft is nearly rusted through......no BS, it's $1200 to replace it through the dealer. Great materials they're using these days.
Yeah, Fords have been known to rot out since the first one rolled off the assembly line floor, whenever that was. The T-Bird has been a good car, it's been beat on continuously, run down on all the fluids it has, taken apart and put back together more times than I can count, and it still keeps ticking away. I can't do body work, and I can't try when I need it everyday. All in all the car has been driven through the ringer, time and time again. But it doesn't fight, it just starts up everyday and chugs on down the road waiting for me to flog the living shi* out of it again. And it doesn't burn oil, or smoke, or anything. But the uni body is failing.

Why does everyone like Acura? Am I missing something? It's a family sedan, whats so great about it? (excuse my ignorance).
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:27 AM

Yea, rust is why I keep my 2007 Grand Marquis parked for the winter, great cars but my 2000 has broken out with rust. I almost sold the 2000 but changed my mind, realizing that if I drive my 07 during the winter it won’t last. I keep my cars a very long time and they just don’t last so long in Mass with 3 to 4 months of salty roads. So I have 2 daily drivers, my 00 for the winter and my 07. Most of the rust is underneath on my 2000, the car is still very nice looking but the die is cast for a slow death.
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:09 PM

I would still rather drive my 99 Expedition than any overseas truck it has 150K hard miles it has been through 12 Chicago winters, The Sierra Nevada, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, The Bad Lands , Mexico ... and countless off road treks ... it shows a lil rust on the bottom of the drivers door and the front bumper but when I work under the truck I can still take off bolts without cutting them off ...
On my Dad's Nissan pickup with 1/3 the miles of my truck and half the years when ever I had to take a bolt off under it I would have to cut or break it off no thanks I will buy another Ford truck anyday.... just my experience....
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:28 PM

Why does everyone like Acura? Am I missing something? It's a family sedan, whats so great about it? (excuse my ignorance).
Acura is the luxury division of Honda.
Lexus is the luxury division of Toyota
Infiniti is the luxury division of Nissan.
Cadillac is the luxury division of GM.

Honda is ultra-reliable and last a very long time.
You just get a fancier looking luxury level vehicle.

If you're seeking something more sporty, then Acura's aren't for you.
From what I've learned , most women are more into fancy cars, then speed.
It's almost always "Status" for the younger generation women.

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 5th, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:05 AM

My DD...1968 442 convertible (backup is a 1964 Karmann Ghia 'vert)...backup backup 1961 Studebaker Champ.
Old April 7th, 2011, 04:26 PM

2003 Acura TL w/ NAVI, 19" TSW wheels, 114K