General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Well there's one part from an Olds on it, does that count?

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2009, 12:54 AM

Well there's one part from an Olds on it, does that count?

I'm building a 48 chevy aerosedan for my wife that has a mustangII style front, dodge slant six motor and 904 tranny and a 56 Caddy front bumper that I narrowed. Here is the thread to the build (the good pics are towards the end) http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...ad.php?t=40110

I was at the Portland, Or swapmeet a few years ago and came across a cool old gauge cluster for 5 bucks, I had 5 bucks burning a hole in my pocket so I bought it, took it home and put it on the shelf.

Fast forward a few years and I'm looking for some gauges to put in Nikkis car and I remember this old cluster on the shelf that I have no ideas as to what it is, all I could guess was 62ish Olds or Pontiac. I posted some pics over on another forum and we narrowed it down to late 50's early 60's Olds after some more searching I found it to be a 59 olds cluster (not sure if it is model specific). So now I'm cleaning it and getting ready to build a custom dash for the 48.

I have some questions about it and I figured that this is the best place to ask them.

Is there a source for new number decals for the odometer and colored speedo tumbler decal?

Is this cluster model specific?

I'm looking for a working gas gauge as this one didn't come with one, after I find one do you think I will be able to get it to work with a gas tank sending unit for a 48 chevy?

Heres a link to all the pics of the 48 if anyone is interested.
http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...evy/?start=all
Old January 25th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Past Administrator

Glad to have you here and hope you get some good answers. I think the cluster is model specific. About the numerals, I read an article about someone rebuilding a gauge cluster once but don't remember where he sourced numerals. Maybe if you brought that thing to a model shop (where model builders get their stuff) or to a gamers' shop (where kids buy those wizard games) because both places have very accomplished builders and painters. You may get a good hookup on a person or a source for decals.