General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

washington state members, looking for a car

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2014, 06:23 PM

washington state members, looking for a car

Im looking for my first car, i sold it to a guy in seattle i believe. I saw it on craigslist a few months later but wasn't able to buy it. I knew it was the wrong decision to sell while i was watching it drive away. this is what it looks like last i saw. It is a 68 delta custom, let me know if you've seen it. I would love to find it and try to buy it back. any help appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
68 delta 88 (1).jpg (38.2 KB, 103 views)
Old January 9th, 2014, 02:05 PM

will watch for it at local car cruise ins but it might not be until this late spring that it shows up even then the new owner might not be a cruise in kind of person
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by young olds
Im looking for my first car, i sold it to a guy in seattle i believe. I saw it on craigslist a few months later but wasn't able to buy it.
How long ago was all this?
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:06 PM

It's been two years next month since I sold it, I saw it for sale after the repaint and wheels about 3-4 months later. The guy doesn't seem like the type to go to car shows but idk.
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:07 PM

It's been two years next month since I sold it, I saw it for sale after the repaint and wheels about 3-4 months later. The guy doesn't seem like the type to go to car shows but idk.
First off, how do you know he doesn't like car shows? Seattle is a big city, and there are probably one or two dozen car shows and cruise-ins scattered around the city and suburbs on any given weekend during the summer. Unless he lives in the area where you do, the likelihood that he would go to one that you would also go to would seem to be very small.

In fact, the whole idea of trying find this guy by hoping to run into him at a car show gives a whole new meaning to the concept of longshot. You can't possibly cover all the shows on any weekend. You've enlisted the help of other Seattlers(?) on here to give you more pairs of eyes on the lookout, but it's still a very long longshot.

But let's back up a bit. It's been about 1.5 years since you had any contact with the car. That's not that long, so, yes, I'd agree that the likelihood is that it is still in the area. But that's by no means a given. I bought an old car in Ohio in January 2010, and less than two years later, I (and the car) had moved to the other side of the country. People do move around.

But like I say, the odds favor that it is still in the area. So step 2. If you're the one who sold the car two years ago, do you have any info on the guy you sold it to? Do you remember his name? Phone number? Email address? How did you sell it? If by craigslist, and he contacted you by email, maybe that correspondence is buried in your archive folder in your email program. I think you have a better chance of finding him this way than by the very small likelihood that you'll run into him at a car show.

One more thing. You say you saw it three or four months later on craigslist, which means the guy you sold it to was trying to sell it. Maybe he sold it. If that's the case, your task just got a lot harder as you have no contact info on the buyer, and the only way to get it is to find the guy you sold it to and hope he has it. Even if you found him, he might be reluctant to give out that info. So you're back to hoping to run into it by chance.

Good luck. I think your chance of success is very small, but you never know, and I still think your best hope is to somehow recover any info you can about the guy you sold the car to and make contact with him that way.
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:17 PM

jaunty75 I dont know where you got the idea that I was hoping to run into him or the car at a car show. Also I said he didnt seem like the type to go to car shows, for all I know he could love them. I know that it could be anywhere by now and I know we have a few members that live further south than I. Im just hoping its still in this area and if it is someone may have seen it. Its just a car I should have never sold and I want it back.
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:21 PM

jaunty75 I dont know where you got the idea that I was hoping to run into him or the car at a car show.
From what you said above:

The guy doesn't seem like the type to go to car shows but idk.
How do you know this if you haven't been going to car shows looking for him? Just an impression you got when you sold it to him?

I apologize if I misinterpreted what you said. What about looking back through your records to find his contact info? I still think that's a better approach than hoping to see it driving it driving down the street.

Last edited by jaunty75; January 9th, 2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old January 9th, 2014, 06:57 PM

It was all done through text and i havent had a phone for over a year now, so thats a no go.
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Ben

I watch the local craigslist pretty close-I'll keep my eye open for it.

I'm still watching for my own old '68 Delmont 88 convertible to show up again... its come up twice since i sold it 10 years ago and I wasn't in a position to buy it back- but if it ever shows again it will be back in my garage.
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:08 PM

Will be Looking

Im looking for my first car, i sold it to a guy in seattle i believe. I saw it on craigslist a few months later but wasn't able to buy it. I knew it was the wrong decision to sell while i was watching it drive away. this is what it looks like last i saw. It is a 68 delta custom, let me know if you've seen it. I would love to find it and try to buy it back. any help appreciated.
__________________________________________________ ___

I live in SW WA and can keep a watch for it in this area. It shouldn't be too hard to spot. Not likely to be many with the color combo.
Jerry
Old January 10th, 2014, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
will watch for it at local car cruise ins but it might not be until this late spring that it shows up even then the new owner might not be a cruise in kind of person
Originally Posted by RAMBOW
I watch the local craigslist pretty close-I'll keep my eye open for it.

I'm still watching for my own old '68 Delmont 88 convertible to show up again... its come up twice since i sold it 10 years ago and I wasn't in a position to buy it back- but if it ever shows again it will be back in my garage.
Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
__________________________________________________ ___

I live in SW WA and can keep a watch for it in this area. It shouldn't be too hard to spot. Not likely to be many with the color combo.
Jerry
Thanks guys, this is what i was hoping to get out of this thread. I also keep a close watch on craigslist, I may be addicted but hopefully just bored. I figure with the paint and wheels it will be unmistakable.
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:42 AM

I’ll keep an eye open for it as well. I don't what to get your hopes up, but I remember seeing a car like this at the Tumwater Home depot this last summer however I don’t remember those wheels being on it.
Old January 10th, 2014, 01:16 PM

thanks kevin
Old March 8th, 2014, 01:24 PM

just a reminder bump, still interested in finding the car.
Old March 9th, 2014, 10:00 AM

I'll keep an eye out at the shows I attend. I venture in to Oregon upon occasions. If you are a car showing type guy you might put a looking for this car sign on near your ride, who knows what may come up....Tedd
Old March 9th, 2014, 10:44 AM

I'll be looking as well,..
Old March 13th, 2014, 07:28 PM

thanks guys
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:35 PM

talke to the guy that bought it from me today. he sold it after only 3 months to a cop from canada. If the cop still has it, he would have bought it about 3 years ago, its in canada now. would still like to find it
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:42 PM

Im in the eastern wa i will certainly keep my eyes open for it over here
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:42 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Well, if it turns up on Vancouver Island, I'll let you know.
Old March 5th, 2015, 05:23 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

talke to the guy that bought it from me today. he sold it after only 3 months to a cop from canada. If the cop still has it, he would have bought it about 3 years ago, its in canada now. would still like to find it
Canada is fairly large....any idea where? . I will keep my eyes open also
Old March 5th, 2015, 05:30 AM

I would assume above Washington but even then there's a large area it could be.