General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

washer bottle/tank 70 442

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2013, 03:31 PM

washer bottle/tank 70 442

ok, i have searched this on here and cant seem to find my answer. it seems the washer bottle {plastic tank} bolts to the passenger side fenderwell per manual. but i cant find any cars with good pics as to where EXACTLY it mounts? i know it mounts up front but it does not seem to fit/lay nice on the fenderwell?
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:39 PM

the holes should already be there or at least the dimples for where they go. Both on the passenger side and the driver side. The conclusion some of us have come to and I can't remember who on here knew for sure (not me) is that all 455s had the washer bottle on the passenger side except with heavy duty cooling. My convertible has the washer bottle on the driver side. I have AC and heavy duty cooling and no hole piercing on the passenger side wheel wells.
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Lance

FWIW, the A/C rubber lines matches perfectly with the notch/ groove on the side of the windsheild washer bottle on mine.
Old March 9th, 2013, 07:14 AM

i believe my car had the y-72 hd cooling. can we confirm it mounts to the driver side? or should it be pass side per manual? thanks guys,,,
charlie,
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by stevengerard
the holes should already be there or at least the dimples for where they go. Both on the passenger side and the driver side. The conclusion some of us have come to and I can't remember who on here knew for sure (not me) is that all 455s had the washer bottle on the passenger side except with heavy duty cooling. My convertible has the washer bottle on the driver side. I have AC and heavy duty cooling and no hole piercing on the passenger side wheel wells.
To clarify, all the cars had the holes in the driver's side inner fender for the washer bottle, and all had the dimples in the passenger side inner fender that were the drill locations for the washer bottle fasteners. The passenger side bottle was used when the larger battery forced it away from the driver's side.
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

By the way, I'll add that the passenger side washer bottle never looks like it sits right, even from the factory. The problem is that Olds used the same bottle on both sides, instead of mirror image bottles for RH/LH. This was an obvious cost savings, but the bottle is designed to sit properly on the driver's side only.
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Lance

Charlie, I am not sure of all of the variations out there, but I can tell you how my cars is set up.

Fremont built in March of '70, automatic, A/C, Y72, both inner fender wheel wells have holes for the bottle, the washer bottle is mounted on the passenger side and has the two A/C lines run thru the cut-out in the windsheild washer bottle.

If this is different than your plant or build combination, at least you got a free thread bump TTT.
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKET VAPOR
Charlie, I am not sure of all of the variations out there, but I can tell you how my cars is set up.

Fremont built in March of '70, automatic, A/C, Y72, both inner fender wheel wells have holes for the bottle, the washer bottle is mounted on the passenger side and has the two A/C lines run thru the cut-out in the windsheild washer bottle.

If this is different than your plant or build combination, at least you got a free thread bump TTT.

And per the assembloy manual that makes sense, as Joe mentioned at the factory all the drivers side wheel wells had the dimples drilled out if it was a 350 it was left that way if it was a 455 the assemboly manual states one should fill the holes on the drivers side with "goop" drill out the holes on the passenger side and remount the bottle there.

Now I suspect mine could have just gone down the line too quick, someone was on brake or ignored that step as my original fender wells are only drilled out on the drivers side. If the passenger side was drilled out then i would suspect someone moved it, but they are not.
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:36 PM

after looking at my original fenderwells i now see that the bottle was mounted on driver side and no holes on passenger side. if it matters my car is a lansing 442 with a april build date. i think i will wait to mount it till batt is in. will probably mount it driver side as i agree with joe.p that it looks awkard on pass fenderwell. thanks to all you guys helping out along the way!!!
charlie,,,