General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Want to drive Route 66?

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2011, 01:33 PM

Want to drive Route 66?

With gas now predicted to reach $5.00 per gallon or more in the coming months, I'm sure everyone is getting their maps out now to plan that summer driving vacation.

Whatever the plans are, if any, if anyone is interested in driving on portions of the old Route 66, a desire I see mentioned on here from time to time, you might want to check out item #3 on the web page below.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/InfoCente...oad__5F__trips

I've driven on pretty much all of the sections of the old route they talk about, which are in Arizona in this article. There are certainly old sites (motels, restaurants, other types of attractions) to see, and the route between Kingman and Topock going through Oatman is worth the drive all by itself. Just don't attempt it with any overly-long vehicle. Oatman itself is worth a stop.

But for the most part, you'll be driving on open, quiet roads with not much to see except the scenery. But I guess that's pretty much what it was like back in the day as well.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM

My friend wants to get a group of us together to drive to Vancouver with our spouses. From there we'd drive straight south along the coast to San Diego doing maybe 250 miles a day. From there head to and drive part of Historic 66 and then head back to Canada. We're not getting any younger (me 54, he 60 and others in between). He says he wants to do this with all of us ( friends & wives) so that one day he won't be on his death bed wishing he had.

I also would like to drive the US south east and see some of the Civil War battle grounds and the southern plantations. I've driven across Canada and the US three times each with my 442 and the best part was driving on the back roads that go through the towns and don't bypass them. I've met some great people.

There is an (1976 and older) Oldsmobile tour in Montana starting (Beartooth Challange) June 6 but I think my engine will just be back in the car by then.

If we all wait for gas to come down before we enjoy our cars, we may look back one day and see prices even higher and wish we had gone ahead with it now.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Administrator

This is a great site, I used it when we took a family vacation from Texas to almost Ca. There is alot to see for the history buff! Make sure if you stop in Seligman, you hit the Snow Cap Drive-in.
http://www.theroadwanderer.net/index.htm

Last edited by oldcutlass; April 22nd, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:02 PM

I'd like to travel on Route 66 some day soon, maybe next year. I have a friend in CA that I'd like to visit. I would be taking my 67 Delta Custom. I'd probably jump on just outside of St. Louis, MO. Things might get a little warm travelling through AZ since my car doesn't have A/C.

Jaybird
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
route-66.jpg (50.9 KB, 11 views)
Route 66 wreck.jpg (82.2 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Jaybird; April 22nd, 2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:23 PM

Was planning a road trip this summer but I might have to put it off a yaer, would love to travel route 66
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:31 PM

Jayird why start just outside St Louis ? come on down to Chicago and start at the beginning only about 5 hours north of there ....?
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:30 PM

If your in the Chicago area in the summer the Plainfield Main Street show is every Tuesday about 6 PM. It is held at the junction of RT 66 and Lincoln Highway. The only place in the US where the two historic roads meet. There are always some Olds guys around.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by vmathy
If your in the Chicago area in the summer the Plainfield Main Street show is every Tuesday about 6 PM. It is held at the junction of RT 66 and Lincoln Highway. The only place in the US where the two historic roads meet. There are always some Olds guys around.
When I drove in the caravan to Lansing for the 100th, we took the Lincoln Hwy. as much as we could. What a great trip that was. I'd have to say that the caravan was as good as the event. I'll remember that forever!

When we left Tinley Park, IL (Chicago) I CB'd the woman rep from Olds. She said that we'd all (165 cars) leave TP and the next stop was Lansing. I said that it was fine for her and the Intrigue she was in, but a lot of us were driving cars with 455 engines and to make Lansing in one shot was not possible. She said that there was no gas station large enough between Chicago and Lansing to accommodate 165 cars.

As I crossed the MI border I was on "E" and CB'd Kevin (on this board with the pace car) who was just behind me to save my spot as I had to get gas. I filled up and was doing about 105-110 mph when I pass a MI State Trooper in the depression of the east/west interstate. He didn't put his lights on so I didn't slow down..but he was following.

I finally caught up to the caravan and radioed Kevin to let me in and like a dog on a camping trip, I'm bringing a "bear" with me. Keven backed off and I slipped back into the caravan. We were doing about 70 mph. The trooper caught up in the outside lane and matched my speed. I looked over and both the driver and his partner gave me the thumbs up. How cool.

They put on their over head lights and raced toward the front of the caravan. I thought they might stop the whole caravan. Over the CB radio came the announcement "Ladies and gentlemen, our Michigan escourt has arrived. Stay in formation and disregard any red lights as the roads are blocked until we pass." THAT, was a great trip.

PS. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but one just lead to another...

Last edited by 442much; April 22nd, 2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:24 PM

I will have to stop in one of these Summer Tuesdays ,,,,,
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:32 AM

My husband and I drove from Williams, Ca to West Virginia and back for our honeymoon (2008). We didn't drive an Olds, but our 1958 Dodge Custom Sierra Station Wagon named Flo.

Here is the thread I did on our trip on another Forum : http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/fo...ighlightmode=1

We also drove to Tulsa in 2007 for the unveiling of the Plymouth in a Time Capsule. On that trip I bought some maps that showed how to follow Route 66 as much as was possible. Here is that thread: http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/fo...=15458&start=1

I will try to find the map packet we have and put the name on here.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jaybird
I'd like to travel on Route 66 some day soon, maybe next year. I have a friend in CA that I'd like to visit. I would be taking my 67 Delta Custom. I'd probably jump on just outside of St. Louis, MO. Things might get a little warm travelling through AZ since my car doesn't have A/C.

Jaybird
But it's a dry heat, LOL!!
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
But it's a dry heat, LOL!!
average temperature for Arizona in July is only 105.9 degree F

im with you oldcutlass! just roll the window down and it'll be fine haha!
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:23 AM
Administrator

2 x 60 a/c is what most of us had back in the 50's and 60's. We'd carry a big ol jug of water, not for us, but for the car, and drive thru the desert as fast as we can.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:26 AM

I was in Phoenix last June. Attached is a photo I took of the rental car's information center showing the outside temperature as we were driving around on June 28. 111 F.
Attached Images
temperature.jpg (49.5 KB, 19 views)
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I was in Phoenix last June. Attached is a photo I took of the rental car's information center showing the outside temperature as we were driving around on June 28. 111 F.

75 deg. (24C) is my perfect temp. 111 is way too much. My son went to BC last year and it was 44c (111.2F). Luckily he was at the lake.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by 442much
My son went to BC last year and it was 44c (111.2F)
111 degrees in British Columbia? Good God! It can't be a common summertime temperature. Must have been an unusually warm heatwave?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
111 degrees in British Columbia? Good God! It can't be a common summertime temperature. Must have been an unusually warm heatwave?
That was pretty hot but it's becoming the norm in the last decade. Usually on the prairies that temperature is not unheard of. Canada is thought of as a cold country in movies and TV shows, in reality it is a temperate climate. Can go to -40C (or F) in winter to +40 (over 100F in summer).
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:58 PM
NOVICE car nut

mann , id love to drive route 66 .....but with the current gas prices , and my lack of money , I would have to push the car down the highway
Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

My Wife mentioned just a couple weeks ago how neat it would be to take off on a road trip on Rt 66 sometime.
We live just a few miles from Lincoln Highway and a short ride from Rt 66 in Il.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:23 PM

I lived nearly my entire life off of route 66 in California. They had changed the name from route 66 to Alosta for many years and then about 12 or so years ago they changed it back to Route 66. Its crazy that I have lived walking distance from The Mother Road for so many years and never realized its significance. Perhaps a road trip would be a good lesson for me
Old April 24th, 2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by GreekDog
Its crazy that I have lived walking distance from The Mother Road for so many years and never realized its significance.
It's like people who live near major attractions. People come from all over the world to visit, say, Disneyworld. But how many who LIVE within five miles of the place have never been there? Probably quite a few. To them, it's not unique or unusual. It's always right there, and they figure they can go any time. Some, though, never get around to it.
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:34 PM

I drove Route 66 from Barstow to Flagstaff last summer.

I had a great time although some of the stretches were long between towns. I had always wanted to drive all of Route 66, but at least I can now say that I have driven on Route 66.

Unfortunately it was not in my car, but in 2 rentals cars (issue with the first one). I drove Barstow to Las Vegas (not on 66) in a 2009 Charger and from Las Vegas to Flagstaff in a 2010 Mustang convertible.
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:39 PM

I think you did the most interesting stretch of it, anyway. Farther east and the road is mostly replaced with the interstate or has become frontage road along the interstate near cities. Many of the cities I-40 passes, like Winslow and Holbrook, Arizona and Gallup and Albuquerque, New Mexico preserve the highway as it passed through those cities. It's now the interstate "business loop" through many of the smaller towns. But I don't think it's possible to drive on long, uninterrupted stretches of the highway like you can in California and western Arizona.
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:00 PM

I few weeks back one of our members talked about a road trip....we mentioned meeting in one central place and taking a road trip. Does anyone remember that thread. I live in Minn. and would be ready to schedule a 400-800 mile road trip. As was said in the thread.."what a site to see 10-20 grand oldsmobiles in a classic convoy"