General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

W31 Value

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2020 | 03:16 AM

W31 Value

Hello,
I found 69 W31 and need help determining the value of the car. Please see below for details:

Original engine with all of the W31 parts except for the carb. Original dour speed transmission. I didn't check the rear end, but I assume it to be original as well. Original miles are around 60K. The car is not running and needs a complete restoration. Both quarters, outer wheel wells, both lower fenders, trunk floor and passengers floor needs replaced. Interior is complete (bench seat), needs restored. All trim and chrome in place.

Any help with placing a value on this car would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to buy this a dump a ton of money in it when I can buy one already road worthy. Not looking to make a show car, but a respectable driver.

Thanks,,
Old January 21st, 2020 | 05:33 AM

Sounds like a car I have heard about.....

PM if you want to chat.

Ryan W31
Old January 23rd, 2020 | 09:05 AM

with what it needs you are gonna dump a ton of money in it.
Old January 23rd, 2020 | 01:46 PM

If you restore a W 31it is because you want to do it .It is a labor of love
Just my honest opinion.I will be jumping in the deep end of the pool and I am very happy about it..
Always do it to the best of your ability and knowledge it is a hobby.
Alain
Old January 23rd, 2020 | 02:08 PM
delete

Tou'll be upside down by quite a bit. Despite how Olds fans feel about them, they don't bring big money
Old January 23rd, 2020 | 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 1carsick
Hello,
I found 69 W31 and need help determining the value of the car. Please see below for details:

Original engine with all of the W31 parts except for the carb. Original dour speed transmission. I didn't check the rear end, but I assume it to be original as well. Original miles are around 60K. The car is not running and needs a complete restoration. Both quarters, outer wheel wells, both lower fenders, trunk floor and passengers floor needs replaced. Interior is complete (bench seat), needs restored. All trim and chrome in place.

Any help with placing a value on this car would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to buy this a dump a ton of money in it when I can buy one already road worthy. Not looking to make a show car, but a respectable driver.

Thanks,,
I looked at this car and had to step away. If you can do all the sheet metal work and rebuild the engine yourself, then you may be in business at the asking price or less. If not, and you don't want to " dump a ton of money in it", as you say, then this one is not for you. I am not bad mouthing this car, only saying it will take a lot of cash to make it what it deserves to be. I called Ryan before I looked at it and he offered a lot of good advice. Reach out to him and he can put some things into perspective. Full disclosure: I'm still considering making the owner an offer, just so you know....

Originally Posted by Ryan 1969 Chevelle SS396
Sounds like a car I have heard about.....

PM if you want to chat.

Ryan W31
I really want someone to buy this car so I quit dreaming about it at night. I think my wife is on to me.
Old January 23rd, 2020 | 02:32 PM

It does not matter .I am happy
Alain
Old January 23rd, 2020 | 08:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. It is a lot of work and I would have to hire out the bodywork. The car has potential, but I think I would be better off paying more money for a nice driver. I'm like you. I've been kicking it around too for several months.
Old January 23rd, 2020 | 08:54 PM

Alain,
I know what you mean, but I know how I am. I'll keep for a couple year and want to sell to get something else. I'd be upset if I couldn't get my money back.
Thanks,
Old January 23rd, 2020 | 08:55 PM

That's my fear
Old January 24th, 2020 | 01:57 AM

Remember you can't take the moolah with you.Enjoy yourself
Alain
Old January 24th, 2020 | 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
I looked at this car and had to step away. If you can do all the sheet metal work and rebuild the engine yourself, then you may be in business at the asking price or less. If not, and you don't want to " dump a ton of money in it", as you say, then this one is not for you. I am not bad mouthing this car, only saying it will take a lot of cash to make it what it deserves to be. I called Ryan before I looked at it and he offered a lot of good advice. Reach out to him and he can put some things into perspective. Full disclosure: I'm still considering making the owner an offer, just so you know....

I really want someone to buy this car so I quit dreaming about it at night. I think my wife is on to me.
The car would be a kick *** ride when restored!!

If I can help whoever buys it I am all in!!

Ryan W31
Old January 25th, 2020 | 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Tou'll be upside down by quite a bit. Despite how Olds fans feel about them, they don't bring big money
Absolutely 100%. This is also the best mindset even if you do get lucky on a sale. Cant get hurt when you expect the worst...

Major auction houses can seemingly draw blood from a stone. They have sold several W31s over the last 2 decades. I have seen prices range from 60K to 20K for gorgeous versions of the car. A non original engine version went for almost 42K. With that said I would consider it a 20K car when mint and original. I have friends etc that play the restoration / resto mod game and you can go through that easy and still have a very unfinished car.

Here is a great example of one of these works of art. Numbers matching. Sold in 2015 for 22,550 and sold again in 2019 for 23,100.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...***-W31-181111

https://www.classic.com/a/barrett-ja...s-w31-nQlNmr4/

Old January 25th, 2020 | 07:42 PM

I am a small block Olds guy going back 30 + years. W31 is the king of kings in my world. However if your looking for maximum bang for your buck when you have no emotional attachment. 1966 - 1972 W30 is likely where you can spend like a drunken sailor and it should still work out. I would think 1968 and 1969 Hurst Olds are also in this same stratosphere.

In the end its very simple, cream of the crop small block is nice but cream of the crop big block is everything for most.