General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

W31 Car with documentation from Georgia is back on ebay

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2011, 08:30 PM

W31 Car with documentation from Georgia is back on ebay

I know this car has been discussed before, but this auction has a lot more pictures of it and it claims to be a no reserve auction. Its located North of me, up near the Willamette Valley guys. If you've not see this yet its worth skimming through the pictures. One really nice car!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...8935%2522%257D
Old May 7th, 2011, 08:37 PM

It's baaack... I love that car
Old May 7th, 2011, 08:59 PM

Nice!!
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:30 PM

I was in just a bit of shock when I saw the color combo listed as original. I had no idea they ever did that from the factory. Mine just ended up this way because I was too lazy to take the top off when I went to Maaco to get the car painted.

1970_442006.jpg
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Senior Moment Member

I think this is the best presentation of a car I have ever seen. Covers everything. Great work. Looks wonderful. Hat's off to the owner.
Old May 8th, 2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
I was in just a bit of shock when I saw the color combo listed as original. I had no idea they ever did that from the factory. Mine just ended up this way because I was too lazy to take the top off when I went to Maaco to get the car painted.
I saw a similar comment you made on another board, and I thought you were being facetious. What made you think they didn't do that from the factory? Black matches anything, so a customer could order any paint color for the top.
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:51 AM

John, you need this car!!
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:28 AM

Very nice car rare color combo !!!
Old May 8th, 2011, 09:25 AM

you could order most any combination of colors they offered. my dad had a sebring yellow W-30 with light blue stripe and interior with documentation. yuck
Old May 8th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
you could order most any combination of colors they offered. my dad had a sebring yellow W-30 with light blue stripe and interior with documentation. yuck
Your dad's car is a different circumstance.

Black/gold was a recommended combo. Yellow/blue was not. That was something that had to be special-ordered, and sometimes the factory would double-check with the dealer to make sure that was what was intended. On Mopars, they have a code that stands for "V08 trim waiver" for those purposes.
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:08 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Nice X2
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:52 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

This would be a great car to own,very nice!

except I really hate to see modern maintence free batteries in the more desirable older cars.

Last edited by w-30dreamin; May 8th, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Diego
I saw a similar comment you made on another board, and I thought you were being facetious. What made you think they didn't do that from the factory? Black matches anything, so a customer could order any paint color for the top.

I just haven't seen a black car with any color other than black for a roof unless it was a convertible, and even then it's not a gold/tan color.
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:01 PM

its one fine very rare car but its not a great color combo at all.
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:09 PM

I just haven't seen a black car with any color other than black for a roof unless it was a convertible, and even then it's not a gold/tan color.
It's a reminder that just cuz you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not in the realm of normal.

I work in the creative field, so I work with art directors and graphic designers. Hence, my sensibilities when it comes to the color wheel are rather sharp. It surprises me that the "regular" guys on the street don't realize what matches and what doesn't, but I guess I've had some training, right? Black will match everything, as will white. Then you have things like Richard Petty's colors, which don't really match but it works. And I have seen a few Corvettes that were blue with red interior that work too. . . hell, even one of the blues for the 1968 4-4-2 had red as one of its stripe recommendations.

Otherwise, to another quote:

its one fine very rare car but its not a great color combo at all.
Oh, I beg to differ! Black/gold is such a FINE combo! If you don't believe me, maybe you should argue with Burt Reynolds and see what he has to say!

Old May 8th, 2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
I think this is the best presentation of a car I have ever seen. Covers everything. Great work. Looks wonderful. Hat's off to the owner.
x2. Reading ebay listings with the seemingly never-ending over-stated / mis-stated claims on cars has almost become a hobby for me. Better than the funny papers.

The car is only three hours for me... If one of ya'll buy it I'd be happy to store it until you can arrange shipping... at no charge!

Looks like a legit no-reserve price... any predictions on the sell price??
Old May 8th, 2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dan K
x2. Reading ebay listings with the seemingly never-ending over-stated / mis-stated claims on cars has almost become a hobby for me. Better than the funny papers.

The car is only three hours for me... If one of ya'll buy it I'd be happy to store it until you can arrange shipping... at no charge!

Looks like a legit no-reserve price... any predictions on the sell price??
It's been offered before, I can't remember what the final bid prices were. If I had a lick of sense I'd sell off most of the clutter I've collected and look for one nice car like this. But then again... turning wrenches and the excitement of finding rare but much needed parts is half the fun

Blue Oval Ranch has sold a lot of really nice cars. I used to live in Salem but have no idea just where they're located???
Old May 8th, 2011, 05:08 PM

Not ******* the car in anyway, it is very nice, but I have to wonder why it has the 2 groove pulleys & the front sway bar is completely gone? I did notice it has the cool safety sentinel speedo (speed minder) speedo.
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:02 PM

I never said black and gold didn't go together. As a matter of fact I have more than 1 1970 that was black with gold stripes and I LOVE that combo, I just have never seen a black car that was a hard top and have either a gold painted roof or a viny l top that color.
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:45 PM

In that case, neither have I! :-)

However, I have seen the inverse combo, which doesn't seem to be as unusual.
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:21 PM

Did they offer either painted or vinyl top like it shows I would of thought with the moldings it would of been a vinyl top and wouldn't the inner fenders be red instead of black?
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:29 PM

Did they offer either painted or vinyl top like it shows I would of thought with the moldings it would of been a vinyl top
I am not sure what you're saying.

Otherwise, only W-30s got the red plastic fenderwells.
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:40 PM

I think I know. The stainless thin moldings on the C pillar look like vinyl top moldings, but if they are like the '70-'72 cars, those moldings were also used if you got a painted top. I've seen some cars like this that were untouched from the factory. I "think" they used these two tone painted cars out west with white painted tops to try to keep the heat down some in the car. They didn't use vinyl because the sun would shred it pretty quickly in states like Arizona. I'm sure others on here can add to this info.
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:44 PM

In that case, the trim piece common on vinyl top cars was also used on two-tone cars. This is pretty typical for most, if not all, brands.

Also, two-toning was simply a matter of style. It had nothing to do with being an alternative to vinyl tops.
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:50 PM

I was going off rumors about the painted tops & didn't know for sure. I know I've seen them though, & I thought the rumors might be plausible.
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:00 PM

It's not really a rumor as much as "someone talkin' out of his/her ****." :-)

If it were true, why did they make so many vinyl top cars? From the two- and three-toning of the 1950s it evolved to just being a different colored roof, and the style gradually became less popular as the decade wore on. It was more popular on family cars than muscle cars, and I have numbers for some Mopars like a '70 'Cuda and they only made 100 two-tone cars. And, if memory serves correct, only 11 1971 GTXs were two-tone. I think they tend to be more common on post coupes than hardtops for some reason - maybe a poor man's vinyl top? Certainly there were much more combinations available with two-toning.
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:09 PM

I've been known to use that method of communication myself at times.
I didn't say I believed it to be true, just that I wouldn't be surprised. I am shocked at how little I really know sometimes. I have read about some C.H.P(cop) cars coming with white steering wheels to keep the heat off the coppers hands. So I thought maybe some western car dealers might have ordered some cars with white painted tops to keep the heat down a bit?? Like you said, maybe on post cars with no AC.
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:12 PM

I hear ya . . . never thought you were making that claim. But there are people who spin some yarns, especially when it comes to "my dad used to have a factory 454 Nova."

Otherwise, all I know I learned from bathroom reading.
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:16 PM

It sold for $24,700.
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:04 PM

If it really sold for that (not a buddy bidding on it) then someone got a deal!!!
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:09 PM

That was the winning bid listed @ Ebay, so I would assume so...not that I would bet on it.
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:59 PM

The owner posted that the car sold and is going overseas. Someone will end up with a great car. Someone taking advantage of the cheap US$.

My bet is it went to Australia and it'll next be seen in a Mad Max sequel movie with the rear seat removed, a blower sticking thru the hood and one of those Blue Heeler dogs sitting on a stamped aluminum seat attached to the P side door panel. Probably a shotgun or two on a rack bolted to the dash but the 4 speed stick may be in the way to make that work right.

That's OK as they can probably attach a leather sawed off shotgun holster to the chrome Hurst stick where Max will have quick and easy access to it....next to the "blower switch".

Don't know if the poverty caps will remain....they may pull them off and go with just the plain black wheels for a more intimidating look.

It's the perfect car for it with the black paint and interior.