General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

W25 Hood Pins

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2014, 04:58 PM

W25 Hood Pins

As you are looking from the front of the car, should the hood pins on the OAI W25 hood be in the 12/6 o'clock position when locked, or the 9/3 o'clock postion? Most cars I see show the former, but the oldsmobile advertisements, I've seen, show the latter.
Old October 5th, 2014, 06:15 PM

Don't know if mine is correct or not, but they're 12 & 6 when locked.
Old October 5th, 2014, 07:08 PM

12/6 for locked. or parallel to the fenders. The skid plate underneath seems to have no set placement. I have seen them with the notch pointed every which way.
Old October 5th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That's an easy answer. The chrome hood locks have tees that are 90° from the direction of the 'handle' on the chrome twist. The 'handle' must be at the 9-3 position for the lockdown to pass through the lock mounts. The hood lock mounts can only bolt in one way - with the slots running parallel with the rad support (9-3). So when the hood is locked, the chrome locks have to rotate 90° after they are pushed down. That means locked is at the 12/6 position and unlocked is 9-3.

Great picture of that in the Assembly Manual BTW.

EDIT: LOL I had this typed and ready to post an hour and a half ago, but the phone rang. Good chat with my brother. I see you have the answer already.
Old October 6th, 2014, 04:32 PM

I am going by the assembly manual. If you look at the configuration of the pins and bracket, the locked position would be 9/3 o'clock and unlocked would be 12/6 o'clock. I have seen one picture where the locked hood is 9/3 o'clock and any other pictures, I've seen, the locked hood is at the 12/6 o'clock position. The pins I have are aftermarket and the only way to lock them is at the 12/6 o'clock direction. Were the originals configured differently so you could lock the hood at the 9/3 o'clock postion? I think it looks better with the locked position at 9/3 o'clock.

Last edited by nelsontj; October 6th, 2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old October 6th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No! The lock pins need to be in the 9-3 position to go through the lock mounts. THEN it gets twisted to the 12-6 position. Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough, but here's a pic of the chrome locks and lock mounts. You can clearly see that the unlock position would have to be 9-3 and locked at 12-6. Look at those little pins that come off at 90° from the shaft of the lock down and it will make sense. The 'top' lockdown would be to lift the hood, the 'bottom' lockdown would be to secure the hood. Look at the relation of the pins to the lock mounts.
null_zpsff3d1ec0.jpg
Old October 6th, 2014, 05:11 PM

When I was talking about the configuration I was referring to the configuration as shown in the assembly manual. Look how the pins are configured in the assembly manual. They are shown perpendicular to the chrome portion you grab, with your fingers, to turn the locks. Thus, when you would turn them to lock they would be in the 9/3 o'clock position. I notice yours are parallel to it. I assume your pins are original equipment and not aftermarket - correct?
Old October 6th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I see what you're talking about in the AM. I looked at several vendors of the hood locks. OPGI has them same as my picture. Tamraz has them like the OEM ones I posted, so does Year One. Even Fusick (who everyone says is THE best source of repro GM licensed parts) shows them this way. That's why the locked down position is 12-6

The only thing I can suggest is the AM shows what was originally intended, but production changed. I've found discrepancies in the AM and CSM before that contradict each other. Sometimes you just have to go with that 'executive decision' and install it the way it actually fits.
Old October 7th, 2014, 09:01 AM

Fusicks may have some good GM reproduction parts, but their chrome hood locks aren't one of them. I sent the ones I got from them back because they were NOT excellent quality as stated by Fusicks. (Good driver quality however, but nothing more.)
Excellent quality ones come from Supercars Unlimited produced by the original supplier to GM.
Old October 7th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

When I looked on Supercars for a pic, they don't have one - just the description and price. Were the ones you bought from them with pins as in the pic I posted?
Old October 7th, 2014, 01:31 PM

Made by the original supplier to Oldsmobile, these pins are exactly the same as original equipment. Kit includes two chrome pins, scuff plates, special springs and dowel pins. (They are the O.E.M units.)
Old November 29th, 2018, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bunser
Made by the original supplier to Oldsmobile, these pins are exactly the same as original equipment. Kit includes two chrome pins, scuff plates, special springs and dowel pins. (They are the O.E.M units.)
Do they have the part number underneath? If so, is there any way to identify the repops vs vintage?
Thanks
Old November 29th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

This thread is over 4 years old.
Old December 5th, 2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ChillyJ
Do they have the part number underneath? If so, is there any way to identify the repops vs vintage?
Thanks
I believe so, next time I am out in the garage I'll take a look.
Old December 5th, 2018, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
This thread is over 4 years old.
And your point is?