General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Visor mirror attaching posts

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2023, 05:26 AM

Visor mirror attaching posts

In my adventures with my new to me Toronado, I’m on the hunt for little victories. A door handle fits, the headlights go up, etc. I thought ordering a replacement visor mirror would be a literal snap, but the replacement attaching tabs are too big. Here is a comparison of the replacement on the right and the broken one removed on the left. I know others have found this same thing, so what was your solution? Get a knife and carve? The replacement is a full millimeter larger in diameter than what actually fits. Being a press/snap fit, there isn’t much room for error here… thanks for any suggestions 👍🏻

Well, I grabbed a Dremel with a sanding disc and ground the posts into smaller posts. Guess that's the only way to do it! Would be better if the manufacturers paid more attention to the parts they recreate. Problem solved, and mirror installed.

Last edited by BSiegPaint; November 16th, 2023 at 02:25 PM.
Old November 17th, 2023, 05:18 AM
Past Administrator

It probably isn't possible to dis-assmble the new mirror and have someone with a lathe to turn that post down, just wondering.
Old November 17th, 2023, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
It probably isn't possible to dis-assmble the new mirror and have someone with a lathe to turn that post down, just wondering.
Correct - these little pins are permanent residents, glued into place between the glass and a metal panel. And they're plastic and spin in place... It was quite a hack job I did with a grinding wheel on the dremel, but it snapped in place, so I guess mission accomplished. I would redesign the metal backing with an "escape route" for the plastic pins. What happens when they break, as they surely will?