General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Vinyl Top Differences - 70/71 vs 72

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2013, 07:08 AM

Vinyl Top Differences - 70/71 vs 72

According to Legendary Auto Interiors, the 1964-1971 vinyl tops had a Satin sheen, while the 1972 vinyl tops had a Gloss sheen. Is this correct?

While the Legendary catalog item description infers all 1972 vinyl tops were Gloss sheen, the individual ordering list for all models shows only the 1972 Cutlass Supreme having the Gloss sheen. Is this correct?

If true, is this another minor detail that differentiates the 1970, 1971, and 1972 models years, in addition to the high beam indicator color, "A" pillar color (pearl/white interiors), door locking operation, interior hood lock operation, smooth/dimpled fenders (1/71), seat belt operation (1/72), etc....

Thank you,
Anthony
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Lansing built

Year one shows 68-72 supreme being the same material. Must be for 70 & 71 you have to slice off the A pillar and remove a couple of inches front and sides for the halo area.

Pat
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Year one shows 68-72 supreme being the same material. Must be for 70 & 71 you have to slice off the A pillar and remove a couple of inches front and sides for the halo area.

Pat
I understand what your saying about the vinyl roof design change in '72, but Legendary is noting that the vinyl material itself was changed by Oldsmobile in '72, going from a Satin sheen in 70/71 to a Gloss sheen in '72.

Legendary also notes that the other suppliers are just using the same Satin sheen vinyl material for 70-72 tops, instead of the correct Gloss sheen for the '72 cars.

Trying to find out if Legendary is correct about the different vinyl sheens for the three model years.

Anthony
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Someone out there must have a color/fabric sample book for '72 to verify this???
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

I do recall the Hurst/Olds having the shiny vinyl roof.
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by copper128
Someone out there must have a color/fabric sample book for '72 to verify this???
You're probably correct - the '72 color/fabric samples would help solve this mystery. I did send a message to Legendary Interiors regarding where they found the information or evidence showing the difference in the 70/71 and 72 vinyl top material sheen - but never received a return message.

The '72 H/O had a different vinyl roof material than the standard Cutlass/442 vinyl, it was more like the Cadillac Fleetwood vinyl top, including the gloss sheen.

Hopefully for those whom want to install the proper '72 vinyl top material, the Legendary information will be verified.
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by copper128
Looking at it right now. The colors AA, BB, FF, GG appear to be slightly glossy. TT (covert beige) appears to be satin though. My book is in excellent condition and the vinyl swatches are protected behind a separate cover and the accent paint strip plastic sheet so I think it represents the material very well.
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Looking at it right now. The colors AA, BB, FF, GG appear to be slightly glossy. TT (covert beige) appears to be satin though. My book is in excellent condition and the vinyl swatches are protected behind a separate cover and the accent paint strip plastic sheet so I think it represents the material very well.
Hi Allen.

Do you happen to have a '70 or '71 book with the vinyl swatches to compare with the '72 vinyl? This would give a definite between them.
Does the sample book describe the vinyl as being glossy?

Besides just seeing the difference, still not certain what Legendary found to make the distinction after all these years.

Anthony
Old September 27th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Do you happen to have a '70 or '71 book with the vinyl swatches to compare with the '72 vinyl? This would give a definite between them.
No, only 72

Does the sample book describe the vinyl as being glossy?
No, the sample part of the dealer ordering guide is a visual look at what the vinyl texture and sheen look like. Are you by any chance building a show car?

Besides just seeing the difference, still not certain what Legendary found to make the distinction after all these years.
Very likely they used the Olds sales guides (like mine) and samples on larger scale from the factory. They are not a new company and are well known for the quality of their products.

re: what color is my car? It's not factory any more. I didn't like the code 14 pewter but wanted to keep it silver but with a brighter look. If you want to see what it looks like in Corvette silver, check my album on my home page. It will be getting a vinyl roof, and I believe the pattern/material is called levant grain, as per factory.
Old September 29th, 2013, 09:52 AM

Hi Allan.

Thanks for the information. My '72 will be stock, though not sure about replacing the vinyl top yet. Never saw any in difference in vinyl top sheens for 70-72, until reading Legendary Interior catalog. It seems they are correct, since you were able to verify with original samples. I will take a look at the photos, get an idea of the color and vinyl top options.

Anthony