General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

VIN tag location

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2017, 08:32 PM

VIN tag location

Question - where is the VIN marked on a 1984 Delta 88 rear wheel drive?
the car has been badly treated and the Cowl tag is not the same as the car!
I think I would like to find a second location where I can find the "real" VIN.
The door and trunk stickers are defaced. I assume there could be a frame stamp
or something.
Old May 31st, 2017, 06:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

I moved your question to it's own thread. You'll get a better answer faster if you start a new tread instead of hijacking an unrelated one.

The VIN tag is in the dash at the base of the windshield on the driver's side. The numbers on the cowl tag are Fisher Body serial numbers, not the VIN, and will not match the VIN - however SOME of the info on the cowl tag like model year, body style, and assembly plant should be the same as the info in the VIN.
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:55 AM

Thanks Joe.
I mis-spoke
The VIN plate under the glass is from a different car, having been drilled
out of a different car and then attached to mine by some earlier person.
the "true" VIN would be for a regular Delta88. The VIN on my title and plate both
match, but they are for a Regency 98 with a sun roof (!!) so I started putting 2&2 together and I figured some person had a rusty 98 and a "clean" 88 with no paperwork and they went thru the hassle and risk of falsely re-titling the car with numbers from a shot vehicle. You can't figure why people do stupid stuff like this for a $ 1,000 car ! Anyway , I wanted to get back to "Square #1" on this thing to figure out things like the original configuration and such.

When I saw the door and the trunk lid sticker were removed and defaced, and the car was painted a Red Cedar, over the original Red Autumn Maple Metallic I decided to start doing the research. The GM Archive got me the history for the sun roof car. I am looking to find out about the non- sub roof car. I am not concerned about the double dealing since the car is probably not a financial issue for somebody, as it was probably an abandoned car anyway. It is not a Ferrari. I had seen someone say there is a stamping on the frame of some cars.
Old May 31st, 2017, 10:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

The VIN tag, SPID, and door sticker are the only places on the car with the full VIN. The engine block, trans case, and frame have partial VINs, typically only nine of the characters.