General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

vanity mirror installation

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2010, 06:30 PM

vanity mirror installation

I wanted to install a vanity mirror on my passenger side visor.The mirror came with two plastic clips attached to the mirror how does it get installed on to the visor.
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by ELECMAN
I wanted to install a vanity mirror on my passenger side visor.The mirror came with two plastic clips attached to the mirror how does it get installed on to the visor.
The mirror has two plastic clips on the back that compress when inserted into the visor. Here's what you do.

Make a template of the mirror out of light cardboard or paper. Cut out the template and center it on the visor. Mark the location where the holes will go.

Now take an exacto knife (or olfa) and cut out the cloth in circle around that hole location. My factory visors have a round cutout about 1 inch in diameter. Re-apply the template and mark for the 2 holes you have to drill. I'm not sure if it's 1/4 inch or a little bigger and I don't want to take mine off in the cold in case it breaks. Check your mirror back pins against the drill bit. You might want to drill a couple of test holes in cardboard to see how the fitment will be. (I suggest cardboard in case your hole is too small, it's easy to remove the mirror without breaking it)

I would recommend taking the visor off the car when you drill the holes. Be very carefull and drill slowly and use VERY LIGHT pressure. You want to drill through the fibreboard in the visor, but not out the other side. Press the mirror into these 2 holes and reinstall the visor.
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:57 PM

Thanks Allan for the info
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:01 PM

worked mint drilled two #7 holes in the visor popped the glass in looks great.did what you said worked mint