General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Vacuum Gauge - how to install?

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2011 | 10:30 AM

Vacuum Gauge - how to install?

Okay, received a vacuum gauge in a set of mechanical gauges. But the gauge did not have an install kit that came with it.

What is the best way to install this gauge? What port on the intake manifold is used? How do you route the line (best option through firewall)? Is there a generic kit out there that I can buy (minus gauge)?

Thanks

d1
Old June 8th, 2011 | 10:58 AM

Any port on the intake will work as long as it's direct to manifold vacuum. Most are mounted with rubber vacuum line like 1/8 inch. I suppose you could use 3/16 brake line also as long as it's insulated from vibration and chaffing. It would be harder but would probably look clean and unique. Small braided line would work also. Whatever your imagination can come up with. You just don't want it to get a hole in it. 1/8 inch capillary line like mechanical oil pressure gauges use is another idea, either in copper or that white plastic. I doubt there are vacuum gauge installation kits out there. It's more of a do it yourself type thing.

My factory 66 vacuum gauge just uses a plain rubber vacuum line through the firewall.
Old June 8th, 2011 | 11:02 AM

Sounds good. I wasn't sure it the thickness or diameter or even the material of the line would affect the readings of the gauge.

I will see what I have in the garage and come up with something from there.

Thanks

d1
Old June 8th, 2011 | 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by defiant1
I wasn't sure it the thickness or diameter or even the material of the line would affect the readings of the gauge.
You do have to be careful to make sure that you are using actual vacuum tubing, which will have a thicker wall so it doesn't collapse. You don't want to use the same kind of tubing you would use, say, for the windshield washer fluid lines. If you don't have vacuum tubing, get a few feet at an auto parts store. It's very cheap.