General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

V8 made in ITALY

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2010, 12:33 PM

V8 made in ITALY

Hello guys
is some time I wanted to show you pictures of Italian car produced by Alfa Romeo mechanical injection V8 engine "Spica".
This car was designed in 67but produced in 70 and for reasons of compertamento road was marketed only in 72 for the American market, no one knows how many there really are in the United States, I had the fortune to work on this beautiful car and I wanted to show photos car over.

Old April 1st, 2010, 12:34 PM

Old April 1st, 2010, 12:39 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Nice I prefer the GTV-6.
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Nice I prefer the GTV-6.
GTV-6 is a if they are still many, this is very rare and has a very high value.
GTV-6 has a powerful but less sporty than this, we say that Montreal is more naughty
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

Since I'm 100% Italian descent, I can safely say that while the cars are gorgeous, Fiat and Alfa's reliability leave's something to be desired. Of course, I also own an Italian car with a V8 - our Pinninfarina-built Cadillac Allante with the Northstar. Italian styling, GM mechanicals. Other than being wrong-wheel-drive, what's not to like?
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:04 PM

Pininfarina is a great design, its cars are all special.
in Italy are to build an ISO RIVOLTA chevrolet engine but, unlike ISO 60 years, this is all carbon.
Cadillac Allante is another prestigious car.
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:06 PM

HTML Code:
Since I'm 100% Italian descent

Gee Joe, I always thought you were Irish.

Well,

I always liked the 2600 Spyder But parts fer these Geeze Louise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (75.7 KB, 6 views)
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
HTML Code:
Since I'm 100% Italian descent

Gee Joe, I always thought you were Irish.

Well,

I always liked the 2600 Spyder But parts fer these Geeze Louise.
Alfa Montreal is a 2600 with 200 hp
are your cars in the photos?
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:20 PM
Past Administrator

I was always of the opinion that the Italian V8s and V12s were works of art and they showcased skills of elaborate engineering and craftsmanship.
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by olds67
Alfa Montreal is a 2600 with 200 hp
are your cars in the photos?
Thanks,

If you say so. I haven't seen one in 45 years
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I was always of the opinion that the Italian V8s and V12s were works of art and they showcased skills of elaborate engineering and craftsmanship.
it's true what you say, but we Italians like your cars and we love the USA.
Montreal today we want to have a $ 30000/35000
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:08 PM

what was the 2 door Alfa hardtop sport coupe back in the '70's....considered buying one of those as a first car. Cool looking design.

In high school drafting class a buddy of mine and I conned the teacher into letting us design cool Italian looking exotics instead of drawing blueprints for houses. I'll try to get the drawings scanned and downloaded.

Last edited by 70Post; April 1st, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

So the deal is, I have this Quad 4 burning a hole in my pocket. I've been toying with the idea (since I clearly don't have enough projects) of putting it into a Fiat Spider for my wife to drive. Olds engine, Delco electronics, and 700R4 trans (yeah, but she wants an auto) should fix the parts availability and reliability issues.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:55 AM

Fiat 124 spider.....rollover capabilities....

I had a 1971 Fiat 124 Spider I was driving to my 1st day of work some 31 years ago. I rolled it as I went through a turn. My mistake for trying to read directions and driving (where was a tom-tom 31 years ago) I rolled it and totaled it. But the roof held up nicely for a 50 mph rollover. I liked that car though. The wood dash and the faria guages were just cool. The 4 banger sounded good too with the headers. Only downside I see is fitting guages to the Olds mill. Sounds like it's time for some Comp guages. Call Summit or Jegs. Good luck on the project Joe sounds like an interesting combo. Oldsdroptop
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:23 AM

Joe, you're going to have to live for another 100 years just to get your projects done. Look like you've found the fountain of youth
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:09 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
So the deal is, I have this Quad 4 burning a hole in my pocket. I've been toying with the idea (since I clearly don't have enough projects) of putting it into a Fiat Spider for my wife to drive. Olds engine, Delco electronics, and 700R4 trans (yeah, but she wants an auto) should fix the parts availability and reliability issues.
If you don't already have that Spider, I have a lead on a 1979. If you get it, then my cousin will quit bugging me to buy it off her! She is next to clueless about cars... It's at her B&B less than 5 miles from VIR.

It's a fun little car to drive, but I don't have time to drive me Oldsmobiles. Why should I take on a FIAT that I know next to nothing about?
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I always thought the Spider was a neat looking car. I haven't seen one in a long time. Good home for a Quad 4. Are you going to do it before or after the wagon Joe? Being it would be for the wife, I am guessing it gets done first.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I always thought the Spider was a neat looking car. I haven't seen one in a long time. Good home for a Quad 4. Are you going to do it before or after the wagon Joe? Being it would be for the wife, I am guessing it gets done first.
Actually, it's the wife's CIVIC that gets worked on first.

Glenn, please don't make me offers like that. I'll NEVER get anything done.

I actually spent some time on the F-85 this week. After buying three different sets of mag wheel lug nuts, none of which worked, I finally gave up and decided to swap the LH wheel studs on the driver's side for RH. More on this saga later, but suffice to say that it only took me three tries (including an hour spend scouring the Dorman catalog) to find lugs that worked. Note that the fronts and rears are not the same. Also stay tuned for what should be a fairly easy a four wheel disk brake conversion using non-US parts! Let's just say that I had a EUREKA moment earlier this week.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:06 PM

"Let's just say that I had a EUREKA moment earlier this week." What? you tripped over a vacuum cleaner?
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:45 PM

this is another v8, produced only 18 copies and hand made by the body Marrazzi,
called "Alfa 33 Stradale" 1967/69, power mid-engined car, a true sporting coupe.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:04 AM
Oldsdruid

We don't see Alfas much here in the States anymore. Shame, because they are amazing automobiles. I think their reputation as finicky has as much to do with people not understanding how they work as much as anything, and I'll admit that's why I've stayed away from me cousin's FIAT. I don't know anything about them, there's no one locally who can competently service an Italian car, and I'm not sure how good I could learn it myself.

I find myself farming out jobs now that, ten years ago, I would not have even considered hiring someone to do.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
We don't see Alfas much here in the States anymore. Shame, because they are amazing automobiles. I think their reputation as finicky has as much to do with people not understanding how they work as much as anything, and I'll admit that's why I've stayed away from me cousin's FIAT. I don't know anything about them, there's no one locally who can competently service an Italian car, and I'm not sure how good I could learn it myself.

I find myself farming out jobs now that, ten years ago, I would not have even considered hiring someone to do.

theres no problem when, whatever you want to know ask, I have friends mechanical Fiat and Alfa in the USA and I have a friend who owns a GTV-6 and I'm helping in the search for the shares I have also given manuals covering engines.

Later I put a video I made a moment ago with the Montreal
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:37 AM

the video of Alfa Montreal today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq4T4...ture=recentlik
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:49 PM

Nice!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:19 PM

Joe how about the Pantera, I always wanted one of those, Italian design American engine, just like me 100% Italian heritage as well, but bleed red, white and blue
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:12 PM

Fiat...
Only car I ever saw that could have the clutch pedal break above the pedal.
Fix it again, Tony.

Love the Alfa Romeo.

JIm
Old April 4th, 2010, 03:18 PM

In 1969 when all my friends were building hot rods I was tooling around in my 1969 fiat 850 sport coupe, when I moved to cali I got a great deal on a 1967 Alfa GTV, man that car could handle. Being an Italian born and raised in NYC, I was very pleased how comfortable Italy felt. You think memory can be transferred in DNA, because a lot of places looked so much like I had been there before!!!
Old April 4th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by bummerino
In 1969 when all my friends were building hot rods I was tooling around in my 1969 fiat 850 sport coupe, when I moved to cali I got a great deal on a 1967 Alfa GTV, man that car could handle. Being an Italian born and raised in NYC, I was very pleased how comfortable Italy felt. You think memory can be transferred in DNA, because a lot of places looked so much like I had been there before!!!

says déjà vu
when it seems you've done something many times in life.
I think it sends all the DNA.
my daughter the first verse he did when he was 10 months into the engine when he saw the car.
Old April 4th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Warhead
Fiat...
Only car I ever saw that could have the clutch pedal break above the pedal.
Fix it again, Tony.

JIm
Well, ACTUALLY, I had this happen in a 1972 442.

I had installed a leg-buster clutch and apparently the extra force eventually fatigued the tab that is spot welded to the main clutch pedal. The tab fractured right through the two spot welds. I ran a bead completely around the tab and needless to say, it never happened again. I recommend this for all clutch pedals.
Old April 5th, 2010, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Well, ACTUALLY, I had this happen in a 1972 442.

I had installed a leg-buster clutch and apparently the extra force eventually fatigued the tab that is spot welded to the main clutch pedal. The tab fractured right through the two spot welds. I ran a bead completely around the tab and needless to say, it never happened again. I recommend this for all clutch pedals.
You did a great job if not more successful.
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:36 AM

I told my wife that I want us to fly to Italy, buy a new Motoguzzi V-7 and tour europe, she replied....."you just want a new motorcycle" , sometimes you just can't win! hahaha
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:08 AM

O.K. I've got a question. My brother has a '77 Moto Guzzi automatic, which he was was planning on restoring, but maybe not.. So, I commented on it being an Italian motorcycle, to which he replies "it's French". Now I don't didley about the bike, but I was awfully dang sure it was Italian! Well I thought maybe it was like Bugatti, you know, a transplanted name to France. (I know that Ettatore was actually a Swedish born Italian who along with family moved to France, with a brother being a well regarded sculptor). So, anyone who wants to set me straight, please do so...and be nice!
Old April 5th, 2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
O.K. I've got a question. My brother has a '77 Moto Guzzi automatic, which he was was planning on restoring, but maybe not.. So, I commented on it being an Italian motorcycle, to which he replies "it's French". Now I don't didley about the bike, but I was awfully dang sure it was Italian! Well I thought maybe it was like Bugatti, you know, a transplanted name to France. (I know that Ettatore was actually a Swedish born Italian who along with family moved to France, with a brother being a well regarded sculptor). So, anyone who wants to set me straight, please do so...and be nice!
I live 5 miles from the Moto Guzzi factory, I am close to the shores of the lake of Lecco, the Guzzi factory is but going through a bad period.
This year had the new models but the engines are always the same and are very reliable.
you have photos of the bike?
Old April 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM

Bugatti for a few months ago was found a race car of the 30 to 15 feet deep lake garda is expected to run off the road during a race and never recovered.
now want to restore it pulled out of the year.
I found photos of.
Old April 5th, 2010, 01:43 PM

http://www.autoblog.it/post/21129/un...-lago-maggiore

see the photos if you do not understand I'll translate
Old April 5th, 2010, 05:21 PM

http://www.autoblog.it/post/21129/un...-lago-maggiore

see the photos if you do not understand I'll translate
I seen it in AutoWeek a while back, seems that it brought big money, even for the condtion that it was in. I do not have photos of my brothers 'Guzzi, it is in the back of his garage out of sight. I was there last Thursday after getting my '71 out for the first time, and went to see him as he lives 16 miles south of here. I asked if he was going to start restoring it as that was his plan after retirement, but I got the impression that he won't.
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:05 AM

I seen it in AutoWeek a while back, seems that it brought big money, even for the condtion that it was in. I do not have photos of my brothers 'Guzzi, it is in the back of his garage out of sight. I was there last Thursday after getting my '71 out for the first time, and went to see him as he lives 16 miles south of here. I asked if he was going to start restoring it as that was his plan after retirement, but I got the impression that he won't.

pity that there should restore GUZZI, I could not keep stop a vehicle, the best thing is when you are stuck for years and with a bit of gasoline out again in minutes.
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:59 PM

Bugatti for a few months ago was found a race car of the 30 to 15 feet deep lake garda is expected to run off the road during a race and never recovered.
now want to restore it pulled out of the year.
I found photos of.
A couple more photos from Autoweek, 4/16/10
Mullin Automotive Museum

< First | << Previous | 7 of 11 | Next >> | Last >
Old April 17th, 2010, 01:17 PM

A couple more photos from Autoweek, 4/16/10
Mullin Automotive Museum

< First | << Previous | 7 of 11 | Next >> | Last >
this is the car.
have said in recent days that they want to restore, I am not, for me it is better to leave it.