General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Up down and sideways decisions decisions

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2014, 09:44 AM
Scharpp

Up down and sideways decisions decisions

Hi all, man the delema, want my 55 olds to run & drive, but boy oh boy to rebuild the 324 is alot, so thinking to put a 68 delmont 122 inch wb frame and running gear, that is if I can find one or find a running 324, sell the manual trans, frame and locked up engine, dont even have any idea what the parts would be worth, it is a rare car with the manual, hate to change it, but then floorboards and trunk are rusty, what to do?
Old December 31st, 2014, 10:22 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Before I would replace the frame and screw up a rare car, I would sell and buy something else or replace the engine like you mentioned. Putting a 68 Delmont frame underneath it is going to be a lot work and require a ton of fabrication. Then it will just be considered a hack job and most people are not going to want it. This is just my opinion. Just take you time and don't get in a big hurry and do something you will regret.
Old December 31st, 2014, 01:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by scharpp
Hi all, man the delema, want my 55 olds to run & drive, but boy oh boy to rebuild the 324 is alot, so thinking to put a 68 delmont 122 inch wb frame and running gear, that is if I can find one or find a running 324, sell the manual trans, frame and locked up engine, dont even have any idea what the parts would be worth, it is a rare car with the manual, hate to change it, but then floorboards and trunk are rusty, what to do?
Reality check:

Rebuilding the 324 and fixing the floors will be MUCH cheaper and easier than a frame swap.
Old December 31st, 2014, 08:35 PM

^x2^ If you get into this restoration game you will soon find out that things can get get expensive fast.Before you sell your car or pull the frame off and make it even less valuable why not pull the engine and see what is sticking that motor? You never can tell it may not be as bad as you think. For the cost of a gasket set you would know. I don't know your skills or budget but 55 post stick cars don't come around very often, if you lose this one it's doubtful there will ever be another, there will however be many other 324's that will come and go, be patient something will show up. These things don't come pristine they all require some work ..Just my thoughts from afar ....Tedd
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:48 AM

X3 to all above. Have you tried to unlock the 324? Try putting some penetrating oil in the cylinders. Let it sit a couple days. Put the car in 2nd gear and rock the car back and forth. Sometimes this will break it loose. Good luck!