General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

unplanned meet up

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2020, 07:18 PM

unplanned meet up

Took the Olds out for a bit of a run the other day. Pulled into the gas station. The Olds is fast and will pass anything but a gas station. Anyway I am putting fuel into the car and in pulls a 70 Chevelle. He fuels up and we pull aside and shoot the sh,,t. As we are talking in pulls a 69 AMC SC Rambler. Not your typical Kenosha Cadillac. I always liked those cars and they were pretty underrated at the time. You don't see them too often. So it ended up the 3 of us telling lies, with a lot of slow drive bys by others. All in all it was an interesting day.

Last edited by Fazer; January 14th, 2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old January 13th, 2020, 07:26 PM
Administrator

It never happened without pictures.
Old January 13th, 2020, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Of course it did, I've already put myself there in vivid colors.. Thanks for sharing
Old January 13th, 2020, 09:07 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

I can ‘see’ it as well. But certainly would enjoy digital visuals to augment the imagination. Reminders of cruising in college - 1981 - in my 72V code hardtop, my buddy in his Viking blue 71 convertible W 30 rolling up next to me. Blowing the doors off most of what we encountered.

Impromptu get togethers with our 10 year old cars were fun, but when they’re 50 years old - that’s really special.
Old January 14th, 2020, 04:54 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Sorry. It's time for my "Hey you kids, get off of my lawn!" moment.

Not all of us feel the need to take a picture of every little thing that happens in our lives.
Old January 14th, 2020, 05:51 AM

Don't pick on Eric, he's just excited to use his newly reacquired vision!!
Old January 14th, 2020, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
Don't pick on Eric, he's just excited to use his newly reacquired vision!!
And eye glasses, now get off my lawn...
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:10 AM

I thought I answered this, but i don't see it anywhere so I guess I messed that up as well. Reason behind no photos. I am 67 and got my first cell phone about 2 years ago. And I got tricked into getting one then. I know I am a dinosaur, but that's the way I like it. Needless to say, it sits on the kitchen counter most of the time. I feel I can go out and get a loaf of bread without making or receiving a phone call and the world won't end. As I had no phone with me, I had no camera.
Old January 14th, 2020, 01:23 PM

Welcome to the prehistoric club! I do not have a cell phone either. If someone wants to get hold of me they can call my house (landline no less) and leave a message. I'll call them back when I get home. I've never sent a text, and I have no social media profile.

Believe it or not, I actually work IT for the government. I'm around this crap all day at work, so when I get home, I unplug and do real things.
Old January 14th, 2020, 04:38 PM

This is a great story. I wish I lived someplace where I didn't have to drive a winter rat daily from November through mid-April.

My chance vehicle encounter was decades ago. No cell phone photo, maybe a Kodak moment if I had been prepared. I was driving East on the NY State Thruway (I-90) in my '70 LS6 Chevelle bringing my stuff home from school after the Spring semester. Cruising in the right lane a red Superbird came up from behind, moved to my left, hung there for about a couple of miles, and then moved quickly on ahead. Not needing anymore tickets I let him go. I don't have a photo to remember it by but I actually still have my Chevelle to look at.
Old January 15th, 2020, 05:05 AM

When I take one of my cars out for a ''short'' drive my family knows it may take a while. We all get the thumbs up while sitting at red lights or even cruising down the road. But, it seems you can't just fuel up and go at a gas station...and I have never been one to shy away from a conversation about my cars.

With my '70 Nova SS it seems that it is the true muscle car enthusiasts that come over to inspect & talk about the car. Outside the engine work, it is about 98% original. When I had my '78 Trans Am, all kinds of folks would check it out. Even the young'uns. I couldn't tell you how many times I got the "My uncle's, girlfriend's, sister-in-law's, best friend owned one".

With the '76 Cutlass (Also, mostly original) I get walk-arounds from people that are amazed by it's condition and how they just never see these mid-70's on the road.

It's a lot of fun and I seize the moment every chance I get to promote the classic car brand. Met a lot of good people, even if only for a few minutes.
Old January 15th, 2020, 05:34 PM

Good stuff Fazer, have had a few moments like that over the years. A planned one set things in motion for me. Back when I was a kid circa 1981 I would tag along with my brother, he had a 1970 Barracuda, his friend had a 1970 Charger, and his other friend had a Camaro. Needless to say I was in car heaven, I have adored this era of vehicles ever since. In 1986 I saw a 1967 Cutlass Coupe in a used car lot and fell in love instantly, the rest is history.
Old January 15th, 2020, 06:12 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

75 here today so had to run some errands and get gas, just to enjoy 30 minutes of 442 time. 93 octane sold at the local Murphy /Walmart - as I pulled in the guy gassing up next to me in a massive pick up dropped everything to walk over and talk.

He really likes “four forty twos”. But his buddy has 150K Chevelle SS he might buy. He said a lot more but I really couldn’t understand him, Perhaps because of his mouth full of chewing tobacco.

Then a guy in an AT&T truck comes whipping around and pulls right up and says “I got one of those”. I wasn’t sure what he meant, another muscle car, another red car, another convertible, another 442 - so he proudly showed me pictures of a 1970 W30 convertible Viking blue - in his garage up on blocks - that he’s just finishing. Looked nice.

But the best part was as I finished gassing up, a young lady jumped out of her Nissan Altima pleading with me not to drive away just yet, telling me she lost her virginity in the backseat of a 69 cutlass. Seriously that was the third thing she said, after “I love your car” and “please take me for a ride”

I couldn’t help but laugh as she continually looked at my backseat and smiled. Unplanned meet ups!
Old January 15th, 2020, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1972vCode442
75 here today so had to run some errands and get gas, just to enjoy 30 minutes of 442 time. 93 octane sold at the local Murphy /Walmart - as I pulled in the guy gassing up next to me in a massive pick up dropped everything to walk over and talk.

He really likes “four forty twos”. But his buddy has 150K Chevelle SS he might buy. He said a lot more but I really couldn’t understand him, Perhaps because of his mouth full of chewing tobacco.

Then a guy in an AT&T truck comes whipping around and pulls right up and says “I got one of those”. I wasn’t sure what he meant, another muscle car, another red car, another convertible, another 442 - so he proudly showed me pictures of a 1970 W30 convertible Viking blue - in his garage up on blocks - that he’s just finishing. Looked nice.

But the best part was as I finished gassing up, a young lady jumped out of her Nissan Altima pleading with me not to drive away just yet, telling me she lost her virginity in the backseat of a 69 cutlass. Seriously that was the third thing she said, after “I love your car” and “please take me for a ride”

I couldn’t help but laugh as she continually looked at my backseat and smiled. Unplanned meet ups!
Words escape at the moment, but good story.
Old January 15th, 2020, 06:39 PM

I believe that would be considered a “Full disclosure moment”!!!
Old January 16th, 2020, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by 1972vCode442

what’s the ending? It’s ok if you have to make it up :-)
Old January 16th, 2020, 06:50 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

Inquiring minds might be curious, but that’s basically the end of the story. Our very pleasant and forthcoming lady friend was accompanied by someone not as car aware. He eventually wandered over after initiating his Altima gas filling process, and said “man that’s a cool car - Pontiac right?”

In retrospect, I’m not sure if that was her son or her significant other - but either way it was time to get out of there.

FYI, I’d love to tell you that our lady friend looked like Raquel Welch, but in reality think Kathy Bates.

Old January 16th, 2020, 07:18 AM

ya know...you had me going until that last line... Funny anyway, I almost blew coffee out my nose.

tc