General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Turn signal removal tool.

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Rex

Turn signal removal tool.

Going to have to remove the turn signal cover on a tilt-tele column. The book refers to a cover removal tool J-22598 and slide hammer J-6125. Are they still available and where can I buy one. Is there another way to remove this cover?
Thanks Rex
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Slide hammer? For a signal light switch? I don't think you need that.

The other tool is available for about $10 in the tool display at most auto parts stores, but you can do without it if you've got strong hands by using a couple of small screwdrivers and maybe an awl.

- Eric
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Rex

No Eric, not the signal switch but the cover that surounds the whole switch assembly.
Rex
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Oh. That's different. And these are for one of those oddball '68 columns, too.

Most of those tools can be had in sets from companies like Snap-On or Matco that work for a lot of different applications, and can also be rented from chain auto parts stores.

Also, GM numbers are usually (always?) also Kent-Moore numbers.

Here's a J-22598 for sale right now on eBay.

The slap hammer can probably be made up from "normal" tools - If I'm correct, you can set up any slap hammer to serve the purpose.

- Eric
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Rex

Thanks Eric, I'm on it.
Rex
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:16 AM

Are you talking about the steel plate that you see after you take the steering wheel off? If so, Sears Craftsman 00941834000.
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Rex

No Pete, ii's the top most part of the column where the turn signal lever and tilt lever come out. The wheel sits on top of this. removing this exposes the entire turn sigmal switch. The book states that it take a cover removal tool J 22598. I've tugged on it with regular puller but it didn't move.
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Certifiable car addict...

You need the compression tool to push the plate downward against he spring behind it, and then you need to remove a snap-ring (which is a BASTARD to get off usually) I highly recommend a nice set of pics (picks?) especially one wit the hook at the end for removal of the ring. Money well spent if you don't like swearing a lot and busted knuckles.

Depending on how tight the tilt assembly is, you may want to invest in this tool as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kent-...Q5fAccessories

If that link does not work, search Ebay for "tilt column tool" and it should be the first hit. The smaller unit on the far left is for pulling the pins that the tilt section pivots on. Not an easy job, and make sure you have a picture of the column itself in an exploded view before starting so you know how it all comes apart and goes together again.

I have these in the toolbox, and the weren't cheap from the snap-on truck, but well worth it for this type of job.

-Jeff
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Rex

Yea Jeff, I've got that tool; and removed the snap ring and signal cancelling cam. My next step is to remove the turnsignal switch, wiring, and turn signal cam as a unit. This piece they call the signal cover has a lip on it that will not permit the turn signal switch to be pulled out the top so this cover must be removed exposing the signal switch. Eric put me on the tool I need on ebay and I guess I will find out just how much I really want the tool tommorow when the auction ends.
Rex
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Rex's problem is that he needs the special 22598 puller to pull off the housing cover over the signal light switch, which is a 1968-only (maybe earlier as well?) thing. Later tilt columns have the signal switch more accessible, if I recall.

The 6125 slap hammer is just a regular slap hammer to attach to the 22598 - you can use any slap hammer for this purpose.

- Eric
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:14 AM

sounds like you've got things well in hand. I know I'm still kind of new to the board, and some of the questions I try and answer, it's difficult to judge just how adept the user is and what they have handy in the garage to work on things. If you already have some of the tools, you've been down this road before. Hope you get that tool at a good price, but if not, now you at least have the part number to track one down at a good price!

-Jeff
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Rex

Thanks guys. It make these thngs a little more tolerable when you can discuss them. Thanks, Rex
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:38 AM

Just a quick thought....

My dad's part of an antique airplane owners group (short wing piper. He's got a 1957 tri-pacer) and they have a deal going where there are quite a few expensive tools that don't get used often. Several of them pool money together and buy a tool for their group, and when someone needs that particular one, they send it along to the next person and keep them in rotation so that everyone has access to all the needed specialty tools, and they keep the cost outlay to a minimum. Wondered if there's anyone here that has thought of doing something like this with all the specialty tools needed on some of the earlier cars. I know keeping the toolbox properly outfitted is a costly process at best depending on exactly what you need to work on.

-Jeff

p.s. Thanks a ton for not harping on me if I post a bonehead comment. This is for pretty much everyone I've encountered on this board. Everyone here has been extremely friendly and helpful at all times, and I came here with a lot of knowledge, but I probably learn something new every day I poke around here. You guys are ALL great resources when it comes to getting information to the folks that need it!
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Rex

Yea Jeff, this board has helped me a lot too. As far as the tool goes it would be my pleasure to let some else use it. I know how fustrated I am right now not having it. By the by I got my private ticket in a Piper Colt. If you can believe it, it is smaller than the pacer. A two pace made with parts left over from the pacer. It was just one step away from flapping you arms, no toe brakes no flaps not much of anything. back then for a cross country we had to actually use dead reckoning. Yea a chart and a watch.
Rex
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There are a few special BMW tools circulating around the 318ti group.
It's interesting, because it has seemed to work and not be abused.

- Eric
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Rex

Be nice if it caught on here but my guess is a couple of guys would have all the tools and the rest of us would just keep borrowing them until the owner got a little tried of that. But I guess it could work.

Rex
Old May 13th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Rex

Well I was out bid on Ebay yesterday for that J-22598 tool. I had it at $176.50 (I was desperate) and was sniped (sic) so it sold for $179. In some correspondence with Buickfarmer I learned how to take this item off without that tool. I kept Eric abreast of my trials and tribulations on this project and he suggested that I pass this bit of information on to help those that might find themselves in my situation. So here it is. You only need a chisel and hammer. Place the chisel on the ever so small lip on the bottom of the cover at an angle where it will not jump off the lip when struck with the hammer. Work the chisel around the cover and it will come off. Because you can’t strike the chisel with a great amount of force, it will take several rounds for the cover to come off. I just completed this project and there was no damage to the cover whatsoever. This is FYI and at your own risk.
Thanks, Rex