General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Trunk lock cover on '72 98

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2023, 10:54 AM

Trunk lock cover on '72 98

I need to reconnect the spring loaded pivoting "door", cover, to the trunk lock on my 98 and can't figure it out. It was off the car when I bought it - I obviously see the 2 holes in the trunk metal and the 2 areas of the cover where it looks like screws could go... But not sure how it's supposed to come together. I looked in CSM and don't see it. Pics attached for reference. Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

Old April 1st, 2023, 11:29 AM
Oldsdruid

You need the 72 Fisher Body Manual too. It shows all the moulding and trim attachment.

The lock cover was pop riveted to the decklid using the holes you pictured. It should have a plastic gasket to go between it and the decklid sheetmetal.

The trunk lock cylinder is retained by a clip on inside of the decklid and doesn't affect installation of the lock cover, though it has to be installed BEFORE the cover is.

This is from 73 FBM. Shows Delta 88 but Ninety Eight is the same, 1971-76.

Old April 1st, 2023, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
You need the 72 Fisher Body Manual too. It shows all the moulding and trim attachment.

The lock cover was pop riveted to the decklid using the holes you pictured. It should have a plastic gasket to go between it and the decklid sheetmetal.

The trunk lock cylinder is retained by a clip on inside of the decklid and doesn't affect installation of the lock cover, though it has to be installed BEFORE the cover is.

This is from 73 FBM. Shows Delta 88 but Ninety Eight is the same, 1971-76.

Wow, pop-rivets?! Whod'a thunk??? Thanks a ton. Will get a Fisher body manual too! Thank you!!!
Old April 1st, 2023, 11:56 AM
Oldsdruid

Early attempt at keeping thieves out of yer trunk. The swivel cover has to come off before the lock cylinder can be busted out, and I guess the thought was a thief wouldn't be toting a drill to drill out those rivets. Now they'd have cordless drills...

Buick made it easy for them. Their lock covers were installed with barrel clips. Just pry them out and bust the trunk lock.😄