General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

A truck and a question

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2009, 09:22 AM
67 heavy metal

A truck and a question

I have a friend and he is selling a nice 67 chevy c 10 pickup.He is not shure what to list it for.he has it on cragslist but is not shure if he has it for the right price.Now I know it is not a olds but as far as I know olds never made a truck only cars.I want to know what you guys think it is worth and what would be a decent price.I will post a few photos first then add the cragslist link later.
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:26 AM

It looks pretty clean. I have no idea what these are worth.
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:31 AM
67 heavy metal

he just painted it and went over it.My friend also owns a 80's custom diesel that he drives daily.I like it and wouldn't mind having the 67 but have no room or funds for it.
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:46 PM

The Old Cars Price Guide puts the value of 1967 and 1968 Chevy C10 pickups, both Fleetside and Stepside, at about $3500 to $4000 in #4 condition and between $8000 and $9000 in #3 condition. From your photos, I would say this car is right about in between these two condition levels, maybe closer to #3. What's he asking for it? If he's asking, say, $8000 or so, it's probably a fair asking price. He might ask for that and settle for no less than $7000 when the dickering begins. Less than $7000, and he'd be selling it for less than market value in my totally amateur opinion.

Of course, it does look a bit modified, if I'm not mistaken, at least in the paint scheme. (These trucks didn't come with black bumpers, did they?) The effect of that on the value is unpredictable.

Last edited by jaunty75; September 30th, 2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM

maybe 2k, maybe
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by woodie582
maybe 2k, maybe
Based on what?
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM
67 heavy metal

the paint he did it is burnt orange and the black.I do have one picture that he took prior to paint have to look for it then will post it.but he was saying 5k but what you are saying is more promissing.
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:33 PM

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:48 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by woodie582
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
Well that is a ruff way of looking at it.The prob with that view is if the truck or vehicle is worth ten g's and you sell it for 5 you are loosing a chunk of change.Now I was just useing that for a example but still if you get a fair idea or the market value then you go from there.I have a car that I am trying to sell and I will not give it away though I have lowered the price several times.I put time money and parts into it and I am not going much lower on it.I do admit I started way too high asking 3 g's but it is now & $1,250 if anything I would be willing to consider the 50 bux but that is it.The car i speak of is a 93 beretta GT has brand new michilins on the front that havn't seen the road a new aluminum radiator and recently had to put in a alternator.I have been asked to sell it for say 600 or 700 I would be giving it away.
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM

cool the tires are airbrushed with orange around the edges to match the truck
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:59 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by citcapp
cool the tires are airbrushed with orange around the edges to match the truck
lol I missed thatwell here is the cragslist ad
https://post.craigslist.org/manage/1399135881/sjbyd

he put it on several to get more of a crowd.I can ask him questions anyone has and relay offers.

Last edited by delmontcrusier; September 30th, 2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:20 PM

He's got it listed for $5.

He means $5,000, right?
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:30 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by jaunty75
He's got it listed for $5.

He means $5,000, right?
yeah but i noticed that as well guess he for got the zeros.I could mess with him and say here's five bux give me the keys lol.
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by delmontcrusier
guess he for got the zeros
Let's hope that's ALL he forgot!
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:54 PM

I think Woodie was trying to say that the market will decide.
If it will not sell for 5K, it is priced too high.
If it sells for 5K, it is priced less than or equal to its value.
Funny how these value questions always follow the same route.
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM
67 heavy metal

Let's hope that's ALL he forgot!
ha yeah ya know lol

Originally Posted by 68conv455
If it will not sell for 5K, it is priced too high.
If it sells for 5K, it is priced less than or equal to its value.
Funny how these value questions always follow the same route.
ehh words and meanings get lost quite easy and what can be ment well can be mistrued.I have seen it several times on here.I would have liked the truck but i would need to sell off some of my stuff to be able to even consider collecting more.I considered that since it is still mostly origional excluding the paint it should be worth 5 or 6 g's.
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 68conv455
True, but the market-ING has to start somewhere. One still has to come up with an asking price, and that's what Delmontcruiser was asking for advice on. Woodie's comment that it's "worth whatever someone is willing to pay" is both obvious and not helpful.

He said earlier he thinks it's worth $2K. A perfectly reasonable thing to say, but it would be interesting to know WHY he picks this value. So far, he hasn't answered that. If it's just a gut feeling, fine. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. But it doesn't mean that it's actually reflective of the current market for this truck.
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:48 PM

Olds did make trucks in the late 1920's and early 1930's.
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:55 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
Olds did make trucks in the late 1920's and early 1930's.
now isn't that somthing your right I looked it up and here is ine site http://www.monsterhighway.com/trucks...illBilly.shtml

this has some http://pbase.com/papajim_48306/the_r...rtation_museum

so I guess at a time they did.
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:18 PM

Is that a GMC grill on the Chevy?
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:57 PM

He said earlier he thinks it's worth $2K. A perfectly reasonable thing to say, but it would be interesting to know WHY he picks this value. So far, he hasn't answered that. If it's just a gut feeling, fine. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. But it doesn't mean that it's actually reflective of the current market for this truck.
Don't mean to stir things up... but in this area (Portland, OR) I think the truck would sell for closer to $2000 then $5000. Here's why:

1. It's a straight 6, 3 on the tree. V-8 automatics are more popular.

2. Personalized interior. Interior closer to original would bring a higher selling price. (at least here)

3. The GMC grill doesn't help. The 67 grills are popular. If I was going to shell out $5000 for the truck I'd expect it to have the correct grill.

Anyway, the 67-72 Chevys (& GMCs) are still pretty common in this area. I've got a 70 C20. Several friends have them or just recently sold thier's. Even at the mill where I work there are 2 daily drivers, a 69 C20 & a 72 C10.

I can't say about other areas but here I'd think the truck would sell for around $2500 - $3500. But it would take a while to get the $3500. Just my opinion...

Don
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:57 PM

i have a all 67 chevrolet with a straight body good running gear that i cant seem to give away at 2500 i have reciepts for engine and trans plus recipts for rebuilt front steering and balljoints i guess people are not getting the chevs lately!!!! people would like a chev grill over the gmc thou imho being a chev nut at heart olds is my second pick thou as i love the tourqe monsters ohh and i live in oregon where these rigs ar abundant

Last edited by 84 rocket; September 30th, 2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dapapadon
I think the truck would sell for closer to $2000 then $5000. Here's why:

1. It's a straight 6, 3 on the tree. V-8 automatics are more popular.

2. Personalized interior. Interior closer to original would bring a higher selling price. (at least here)

3. The GMC grill doesn't help. The 67 grills are popular. If I was going to shell out $5000 for the truck I'd expect it to have the correct grill.
I think you're exactly right. This truck is heavily modified, and no matter how good the workmanship, this is likely to diminish the number of potential buyers. Taking a vehicle away from stock condition and making your own statement with it is fine. But to sell it, you've got to find that one person who thinks it's HIS statement, too.
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:53 AM

The Old Cars Price Guide puts the value of 1967 and 1968 Chevy C10 pickups, both Fleetside and Stepside, at about $3500 to $4000 in #4 condition and between $8000 and $9000 in #3 condition. From your photos, I would say this car is right about in between these two condition levels, maybe closer to #3. What's he asking for it? If he's asking, say, $8000 or so, it's probably a fair asking price. He might ask for that and settle for no less than $7000 when the dickering begins. Less than $7000, and he'd be selling it for less than market value in my totally amateur opinion.

Of course, it does look a bit modified, if I'm not mistaken, at least in the paint scheme. (These trucks didn't come with black bumpers, did they?) The effect of that on the value is unpredictable.
I'm trying to determine the best guide to use. I like that the Old Price Guide has more categories, thus more data to draw from to improve accuracy that should help start off the pricing process. The NADA Price Guide has only 3 pricing categories, plus options -which isn't as clear as I'd like it to be.

In the NADA Guide, the LOW price for the 67 C10 Fleetside is $8950, which is in range to what you stated from the Old Price Guide ($8k-9k), so there appears to be some correlation (although borderline).

I went to the internet to find the Old Price Guide and it appears that it is a yearly subscription...is there not simply a single guide to reference, that can be purchased or must you subscribe?

Dan W.

Last edited by Dan Wirth; October 1st, 2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth
I went to the internet to find the Old Price Guide and it appears that it is a yearly subscription...is there not simply a single guide to reference, that can be purchased or must you subscribe?
You don't need to subscribe to get a copy. It's on better-stocked newsstands just like Time or Newsweek. It's a bi-monthly (every other month), but car values don't change that much, and I figure buying it two or three times a year is enough. The copy I have is dated August 2009, and I bought it at the end of June.

I get mine at the local Little Professor Book Store.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:03 AM

Thanks.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:07 AM

It is all a matter of the local market it is being sold. I would love a 67 pickup.. but no budget and no room.. I would rather have my 65 olds.

As for asking price. check the local for sale ads, truck trader etc and see what others are asking for and what condition theirs are in.. kind of like a what a potential buyer would do. and be objective and pick a price and go from there.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by crzyjef
It is all a matter of the local market it is being sold. I would love a 67 pickup.. but no budget and no room.. I would rather have my 65 olds.

As for asking price. check the local for sale ads, truck trader etc and see what others are asking for and what condition theirs are in.. kind of like a what a potential buyer would do. and be objective and pick a price and go from there.
I agree with that as well - I would use these guides only as a starting point, then weigh all the factors in the marketplace, to include the modifications made to the vehicle (as previously mentioned).
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:28 AM
67 heavy metal

I found out as well as it is noticed in the pictures.He made a mistake it is more commen to think and or talk about a chevy i guess anyway it is a gmc.I don't know the reason he miss listed it.
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
67 heavy metal

I was wondering if there is interest in this truck by anyone here.I have been considering posting it in the forsale section though I will have to revise it slightly as it is a gmc not chevy.The bed has just been redone prior to the photos though there isn't a great pic of it.
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

There are a couple things that would make this truck a lot more appealing. First repaint the grill and both bumpers. Get a quart of GM code 11 white or something close. Second, get rid of those ugly wheels. Plastic wheel covers from WalMart would look better. Third, take some laquer thinner and clean the orange paint off the tires. That makes it look like somebody just blew some paint on there to sell it. IMHO the truck is just ugly like it is. It has no resale appeal at all.
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

...but as far as I know olds never made a truck only cars....
Really? Ever heard of the Bravada?

By the way, the truck driven by the Beverly Hillbillies was a 1921 Oldsmobile truck.
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:08 AM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Really? Ever heard of the Bravada?

By the way, the truck driven by the Beverly Hillbillies was a 1921 Oldsmobile truck.
Yessir I posted a few links I found and there is one relating to the hillbillys.the other is a oldsmobile museam.I thought those (Bravada) were called suv'slol.I call my pos explorer a truck all the time but it is a suv.
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Yessir I posted a few links I found and there is one relating to the hillbillys.the other is a oldsmobile museam.I thought those (Bravada) were called suv'slol.I call my pos explorer a truck all the time but it is a suv.
Sorry, but the Blazer and Suburban were trucks long before the term "sport utility vehicle" was created. And where exactly is the "sport" in a Suburban?

Of course, people think a "crossover" is not a station wagon.
Old October 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sorry, but the Blazer and Suburban were trucks long before the term "sport utility vehicle" was created. And where exactly is the "sport" in a Suburban?

Of course, people think a "crossover" is not a station wagon.
Ahh but the blazer and suburban were of the chevy line not in the olds line.I can't say I have ever heard anyone call a suburban a suv but don't doubt it has been.I guess your right about the Bravada depending on how you look at it.But try telling some people that, especialy when they call everything a car including pickup trucks.
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:55 AM
67 heavy metal

I am updating this thread as I am posting a new ad.I have new info and better pic's along with a new cragslist ad I will post a link shortly.
Old October 14th, 2009, 11:22 AM
67 heavy metal

here is the updated page and ad https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post115630