General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Tranny drain plug install nightmare

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2015, 07:33 PM

Tranny drain plug install nightmare

So after draining my fluid from my TH350,I decided to install a drain plug. After seeing a couple of videos online, I decided to have the drain plug assembly welded to the pan. I placed some oil in the pan before installing to check for leaks. And it leaks from the plug and the weld bead. I should have just left the pan as is. I ordered a new pan today (no plug), and am thinking of placing a 2" donut magnet in it before I install it. Is this a good idea? and has anyone else had similar issues? Thanks. Why is it that the simplest tasks turn out to be a PITA.
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:39 PM

I put a chrome one with a drain. Just don't over tighten the bolts around the pan. I would re-weld the nut because I like having a drain plug, it's so much cleaner to drain the transmission.
Old January 21st, 2015, 04:12 AM

If you put the nut inside the pan it only needs a few tacks to hold it in place, less risk of porous weld or burn through. Magnet(s) a good idea just pay attention to placement in pan vs pickup, etc clearance.
Old January 21st, 2015, 05:52 AM

Um ... you 'had it welded'. Seems to me someone owes you a decent weld or some money back.
Old January 21st, 2015, 06:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1.

- Eric
Old January 21st, 2015, 06:36 AM
morgan

if you need a magnet in a transmission pan you have some big problems, for normal wear and sediment on the bottom of a pan a magnet really is not needed.
Old January 21st, 2015, 07:34 AM

Just J- B weld that nut on both sides of the pan and forget it, it will hold till Hell freezes over...... Tedd
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:21 AM

I've already ordered the new pan, however, I may take your advice on the JB Weld and if I have any problems, I'll have a new back up pan. I'm just tired of looking at my car on ramps in the driveway.
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:26 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by plonka
I'm just tired of looking at my car on ramps in the driveway.
So are your neighbors.

I told them to shut up and deal with it.

- Eric
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:55 AM

Never installed a drain in a trans pan but my decision would be to braze the nut to the pan. To me it would be easier than trying to actually weld and get a good seal.
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:57 AM

JB ... OK, let's be serious. Transmission fluid is one of the best lubricants out there. It's also a chrome plated bitch to clean out of the pores of metal. That's near certainly why the first weld sucked. Well JB isn't going to stick any better unless you get that sumbeech uber clean. Failure to do so is not only still going to leak, it's going to leave you with a chunk of JB in the pan that may or may not decide to detach and go walk about.
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
So are your neighbors.

- Eric
I tried that. They called the city who sent a letter giving me 30 days to resolve the issue before they'd send an inspector to serve as an independent arbitrator ... after giving both our properties the fine tooth treatment. City living sucks.
Old January 21st, 2015, 07:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Professur
They called the city who sent a letter giving me 30 days to resolve the issue before they'd send an inspector to serve as an independent arbitrator ... after giving both our properties the fine tooth treatment.
Wow. We don't even get that ***** from the tightazzed New England town where we live.

- Eric
Old January 23rd, 2015, 08:11 PM

I installed one that used a 1/8 NPT plug. I cut slots in the inner part of the drain bung so they were flush with the inside of the pan, brazed it in place (the brazing doesn't melt the pan or the bung), and used a magnetic plug. I found that the pipe plug sealed better than the ones with the rubber gasket. The slots allow all the fluid to drain. Choose the lowest part of the pan that doesn't interfere with anything internally. So far, no leak.
Old January 24th, 2015, 08:58 AM

I ended up putting the J-B Weld around the weld bead, poured a little oil in the pan, and let it sit over night before installing it. It didn't leak. I used the rubber gasket that came with the filter (which I was skeptical about)and put a very thin coat, not bead, of Permatex ultra gasket sealant on both sides of the gasket before installing the pan. I torqued the bolts to 12 ft lbs, and no leaks whatsoever. Only thing I was confused on was how much fluid to put back in. Factory manual said 3 quarts for pan drop and refill, 4.5 quarts came out. I just kept adding little by little until I reached the proper level on the dip stick.
Old January 24th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by MDchanic
So are your neighbors.

- Eric
LOL, sometimes you just have to F**k 'em' in the eye!!! Won't see your car much after that!