General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

trade 1970 cutlass stereo for 1971 or 1972

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2012, 09:09 AM

trade 1970 cutlass stereo for 1971 or 1972

Hi all,
accidentally posted this in newbie. I bought a split unit stereo for my cutlass which is a 1972. I want to put the correct single unit head in so I am fishing for the single unit which would then put my current unit up for sale. If I can't find the correct one, the incorrect one goes in. Merry Christmas to all that enjoy the Holiday!!

Oh yeah, current unit price depends on the price for the correct one so if you're interested we will sty in touch.

Chris
Old December 25th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Olds Nut

i may have one, does the face have am and fm showing all times?
Old December 25th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by m455sx
i may have one, does the face have am and fm showing all times?
No, the 70-72 Stereo radio faceplate 'flips' from AM to FM when you select those functions on the chrome slide bar

EDIT: correct error in statement; change 71/72 to 70-72

Last edited by Allan R; December 26th, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:17 AM

so the 71-72 shows both at all times?

Wait, I just noticed that you said the slide bar flips the face. Now I don't remember on mine as it is in the radio shop getting a tune up. It has a slide bar and I don't remember the face flipping.

Last edited by techcote; December 25th, 2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: wrong message
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Erroneous statement removed.

Last edited by Allan R; December 26th, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Just goes to show you

Originally Posted by Allan R
That's because on the pre 71 models the display shows both AM and FM on the faceplate. On those models the slide changes the frequency selection. There is no internal display to flip like the 71/72.
Honestly, hard as you try, it's always something. At least I avoided getting picked on at those car shows where the experts come over and point out exactly what's not right on your car. (a flipping face for goodness sakes).

I remember the time someone pointed out that the cute little 442 emblem on my glove box was never on a 72. I thought it was so coll. I've since removed it. Then their was that time that someone pointed out that i had 71 mirrors on my 72. I haven't changed those. 71's are just so much cooler to me.

Truly, it's all in humor that I share this stuff.
Old December 25th, 2012, 12:34 PM

my 1972 olds service manual shows the Stereo Adapter?

I've heard from several folks including in these posts that the 71 and 72 does not have a separate multiplexer (appears to be called stereo adapter in the service manual) yet in figure 15-4 it shows the extra box (along with the tape player). Maybe it's because of the tape player but it clearly shows the stereo adapter behind the glove box with the thick cable connecting it to the radio. Totally stumped now.
Old December 25th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by techcote
I remember the time someone pointed out that the cute little 442 emblem on my glove box was never on a 72. I thought it was so coll. I've since removed it. Then their was that time that someone pointed out that i had 71 mirrors on my 72. I haven't changed those. 71's are just so much cooler to me.
That's because in 1971 442 was it's own model in the production line up. In 1972 the 442 line was dropped and the 442 became an appearance and handling option you could put on any Cutlass 2 door model.

I've heard from several folks including in these posts that the 71 and 72 does not have a separate multiplexer (appears to be called stereo adapter in the service manual) yet in figure 15-4 it shows the extra box (along with the tape player). Maybe it's because of the tape player but it clearly shows the stereo adapter behind the glove box with the thick cable connecting it to the radio. Totally stumped now.
The 1971/72 model years use identical sport mirrors, so whoever told you that didn't know what they were talking about. Fact of the matter is the 72 model year was supposed to be introduced as what we know as the 73 colonade series A body. Problem is the GM strike delayed production of the 72 'colonade' till the following year. In order to make the tooling changes, Olds just did some lipstick changes to the outside and made a few required emission changes to the engines for the 72 year. That's why the cars look so similar and share so many interchangeable parts.

As far as the 72 Stereo radio, the CSM is not correct on that. I have a 72 factory AM/FM and it does not have the stereo adaptor. The adaptor/multiplex goes all the way back to around 1967 for that type of stereo. In 71 the new integrated circuits produced for the radio eliminated the need for the adapter. CSM's are huge books, and it takes a lot of time to manufacture one. It's very likely that the stereo adapter was overlooked in the production of the book. I've found several contradictions within the manual in regards to torque written into the text and then different again in the specs. Who to believe? I chose the higher value.

Look at Figure 15-2 and 15-6 in the 1970 manual. Then look at the same diagram in 1971/72 CSM's. They are basically copy/paste (which didn't exist back then). All 1971/72 AM/FM radios are not the same, neither were the 1970 and earlier. There was an AM/FM mono and an AM/FM Stereo. I don't believe the 70 and earlier mono radios had the adapter - it would be used only for enhanced stereo sound. Of course we know that without the adapter, you won't get any sound on an earlier stereo radio. Note: it was common at the changeover of model years where body styles and appearance items didn't change cosmetically to use up existing stock of previous year parts. That means some of the early production 71's could easily have been built with the AM/FM stereo and adapter.

However, the 1971/72 model years advances in technology in terms of condensing (no pun intended) their radio circuit boards that didn't require the use of an external stereo adapter. You can choose to believe whichever book you want. The 1970 Assembly manual clearly shows the Adapter placement and wiring on section 12 page 126, whereas the Assembly Manual for 1971 and 1972 clearly show no adapter required for the integration of stereo or tape player (section 12, pages 122 & 124)

Last edited by Allan R; December 25th, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old December 25th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Chris with a 1972 maybe 442. One thing I do know, the Vin has a big block.
Chris, I was just noting your signature line. You think you may have a 72 442 because it has a big block? If the code in you VIN is an X for the engine? Buddy you hit a home run - that's a W30 442 for sure. If it's a U? Not necessarily. There weren't a lot of 455 A bodies built in 72, and there's no real way of identifying a 442 without either a build sheet, broadcast sheet, dealer invoice, window sticker that came with the car in 72. Unfortunately 1972 is one of the easiest model years to clone into a 442 because of the VIN changes and the dropping of the 442 as it's own model. Can you post the VIN or a pic of the cowl tag? BTW, the standard engine in the 71 442 was the 455, but in 72 most of the 442's were built with 350's - either 2 or 4bbl.
Old December 25th, 2012, 04:15 PM

Who knows??

Allen, It is Allen, right?

you're a good man. Thank you for all the details. Its a U in the Vin. I can send you picture if the Vin if you want to see other details. It is loaded so someone was spending some bucks. Pwr windows, convertible, cruise, tic tac, his hers, original AC with original gas, sport wheel, tilt wheel, so who knows??? Maybe it was one of those highway cruisers. No build sheets when I removed gas tank and back seat. It was originally green on green.
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It is Allen, right?

Its a U in the Vin. I can send you picture if the Vin if you want to see other details. It is loaded so someone was spending some bucks. Pwr windows, convertible, cruise, tic tac, his hers, original AC with original gas, sport wheel, tilt wheel, so who knows??? Maybe it was one of those highway cruisers. No build sheets when I removed gas tank and back seat. It was originally green on green.
Close enough Chris. It's actually Allan.
If the car has the letter M in the VIN it's a Lansing car and you won't find a build sheet. You might be lucky enough to find a broadcast card or 2 though. If you do,it will clearly identify whether the car was a W29. Not that many U code 72 A Bodies made, so yours is what I'd consider a keeper. As you say it is highly optioned, it's possible that the W29 package was ordered for it. Note: I erred in saying ANY of the 2 door Cutlass models could be a 442. The CS coupe was not offered that way; only the vert in the CS, but the Cutlass coupes and Cutlass S could get the W29 package. So you really could have a 72 442 if you can find some of those docs I mentioned previously. Your car should have dual exhausts (not necessarily the dual cutout bumper) and W/Z exhaust manifolds. Check the side of the heads by the #1 plug. If the head is listed as GA, that's correct for 72. If it's the original block to the car, that will be found on the engine stamping pad. Sounds like it may be the L75.

If your car is a Lansing build, your VIN will start like this 3J67U2MXXXXXX where X = the production sequence at the factory.

Sure, post the VIN and a pic of the cowl tag. Should be interesting to decode.
Old December 25th, 2012, 09:02 PM

No, the 71/72 Stereo radio faceplate 'flips' from AM to FM when you select those functions on the chrome slide bar
So does the two piece '70 unit.
Old December 26th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Olds Nut

That's because on the pre 71 models the display shows both AM and FM on the faceplate. On those models the slide changes the frequency selection. There is no internal display to flip like the 71/72.
Are you sure? My 1970 442 radio is the stereo unit and is 2 piece, has the slide bar at top to flip the face from AM/FM. When i purchased my SX it did not have a radio in it but the person i purchased it from gave me one that doesn't flip on the face. Wonder what year it is?
Old December 26th, 2012, 07:23 AM

both of my 1970 cars have radios that flip am/fm and have the extra piece mounted behind the glove box
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:22 AM

70-72 Cutlass/442 AM-FM radios all had the slide bar & flip face. The '70 AM-FM stereo unit had the 2 piece design & like has been stated, maybe some early '71 units.
If you have a AM-FM radio, either stereo or not, with both sets of numbers on the face, it is most likely from a big car from that era. I have some of those with & without the stereo amplifier if anyone would like to see pictures for reference.
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 70Post
So does the two piece '70 unit.
I stand corrected. I had previously bought an AM/FM stereo with adapter from a seller that claimed it came from a 1970 Cutlass S. It had both AM/FM on the faceplate and didn't flip, just the slide moved.

Thanks for the info. I'll retract my stmt about the 70 not flipping the dial.
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:23 PM

doesnt flip...but I added RCA out jacks

Well, stereo is back form the shop and does not have a flip face. Works nice now and added Amp outputs. I noticed that the cooling fins are on the wrong side of the stereo so it definitely is not cutlass although it is Oldsmobile. it fits in with some minor modifications to the fins and sounds great but darn, i wanted the correct stereo. So hard to find a stereo flip face. I'll keep looking and if anyone knows who may want my stereo, let me know. It is dual dial slide bar stereo with remote amp. Thanks for all the info.
Chris