General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Tools of Endearment

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2013 | 03:46 PM

Tools of Endearment

I am a tool guy. It is kind of a chicken or the egg thing but I think the reason I am so into cars is they give me an opportunity to use my tools. Today my 1/4" Black and Decker drill crapped out after 3 months of continuously cleaning Cutlass parts. It was just a cheap drill but it was the first power tool I ever bought. It served me well. I didn`t realize that it had any sentimental value until today. As I pondered its place in the toolbox I realized that there were other tools that stood out from the rest. My grandfather was a trim carpenter. I think my love of tools came from watching him in the workshop. I still have his #60 Stanley Miter Box. It was his pride and joy and I use it today over my Dewalt power miter box. My 1/4"-7/8" Mac Combination wrench set also holds a special place in my box. They were the first good quality hand tools that I bought. I think they cost about 70.00 and I paid the Mac Man 5.00 a week when I could. How about you guys? Any special tools in your box?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
010.jpg (65.0 KB, 152 views)
014.jpg (82.1 KB, 144 views)
011.jpg (62.1 KB, 145 views)
Old March 23rd, 2013 | 03:59 PM

I hear you on that drill - I have one just like it - my first power tool that I got at age 14.
If I was you I would use my hand tools to open that sucker up and see what i s wrong with it. If the brushes are worn, you can get new ones in various places. I have even cut some to fit when i could not find the exact ones.

I still have two big S-K wrenches that my dad left before he abandoned our family 35 years ago. I always wished he would have been a real father and showed me what they were and how to use them...

Then there is the big set of Craftsman sockets, wrenches, and screwdrivers that my mom bought me each year for Christmas, starting at age 13 or so. I would get a new set of something each year, including the big rolling cabinet and chest. Best gifts I ever got and still serving me well.
Old March 23rd, 2013 | 04:19 PM
Administrator

I was thinking the very same thoughts about tools the other day. I still have my first 200 piece Craftsman tool set, with metal tool box, that I bought back in 1976 to work on my very first car, a 1967 Olds Cutlass. I too would look forward to birthdays and Xmas to get more tools.

I also aquired sentimental tools, as I still have a Stanley plane, square, and level set that was my Grandfathers. I have my dads first timing light and some other assorted tools that I aquired when he passed away. These were special to me as they keep memories alive of my dad and I working on things together as far back as I can remember. My dad had a love for cars, although different than mine, but something we always had in common.

I have tools that I haven't had an opportunity to use in over 20 years, and some that probably will never be used for their original purpose ever again. Back plane wire wrapping tools for old mini computers and I/O systems. Crimpers for electrical connectors that no longer exist. Pinball machine relay adjustment tools, I may get a chance to use these again.

I always appreciate the opportunities to use my tools. I won't ever get rid of them. For some strange reason I still keep the ones that don't work anymore with the hopes of someday repairing them.

Last edited by oldcutlass; March 23rd, 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2013 | 04:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I was thinking the very same thoughts about tools the other day. I still have my first 200 piece Craftsman tool set, with metal tool box, that I bought back in 1976 to work on my very first car, a 1967 Olds Cutlass. I too would look forward to birthdays and Xmas to get more tools.
Funny you should mention that. I still have the Craftsman tools I got back in the early 1970s to work on my first car - a 1968 Vista Cruiser. Since then I've accumulated MANY more, along with three Craftsman three-piece roller tool boxes. This still isn't enough storage, by the way. I also just looked at my Craftsman oxy acetylene torch. The date stamped on the handle is 2-80.

By the way, I'm a bit of a tool collector, and one thing about all the car dealerships closing in the last few years is that many of the Kent Moore factory tools are now on Ebay for cheap. I've managed to collect a lot of those, including a complete piston pin remove/install kit.

Edit: OK, now that I think about it, I actually lied a little about having the same Craftsman tools that I bought in the 1970s, because at least some of them have been replaced under Sears' lifetime warranty, and some have been lost and replaced.
Old March 23rd, 2013 | 04:41 PM

It's funny you brought this up, I just felt this way about an air compressor. I had a nice 60 gallon Ingersoll Rand air compressor that I got around 2004. It is the first big expense ($450) I ever got for the garage after getting married in 2000. I sense got a blast cabinet and it couldn't keep up with only being 12 CFM. Last Saturday I got a new one and listed the old one on craigslist. by Sunday after Church i had a call and it sold. When they picked it up it hit me how well it served me. I changed oil in it 2 times a year and would detail it every oil change. Never needed a single thing the entire time i had it.
Since i bought it the price went up on them and i sold it for $50 less than I paid for it almost 9 years ago. I hope the new one lasts as well.
Old March 23rd, 2013 | 05:12 PM

Nice thread! I still have most of my 300 piece craftsman set my Dad bought me for Christmas when I was 16. It came with the 3 drawer metal box....I still have that same box as the top of my roller cabinet and 2 intermediates....never bought a top box because always want it there. I've added multiple tools over the years, and some replacements as well...I inherited my Dad's tools when he passed away 3 years ago, and his collection inluded some of my Grandfathers...they all mean alot to me.
Old March 23rd, 2013 | 05:39 PM

I still have and use my Dad's Montgomery Ward Bottom and Top Roller toolbox. He kept us fed using that thing in the 70's, and I used it as my main box when I did my time as a tech in the late 80's. It was always the cheapest Box in the Shop, everybody always made fun of it, they seemed to always have new shiny Snap On or Mac boxes. It held my tools and locked up just fine, and I didn't make enough $ for a new one anyway.
I pulled the Carb off the Olds last week to rebuild it (needs an accelerator pump). I was standing there looking at that old thing, with all the stickers and emblems stuck all over it, amazed that all the drawers still worked considering the abuse it's taken, and couldn't help but get all Sappy, thinking how cool it will be to pass it on to my Son with the complete set of Old Craftsman tools that were in it when I got it...
I have newer nicer Boxes and Tools now, but that one is still my favorite...
Old March 23rd, 2013 | 06:47 PM

I found this old toolbox last year. It was originally sold through Napa Auto Parts in the early seventies. When I found it, it had been sitting out in a shed for some time and was a little rough. I had it sandblasted, powder coated, and I bought some chrome drawer handles at Home Depot . The results were amazing. Since then I have been using it to store my vintage tools. I like the vintage stuff and I have been picking up little odds and ends for a few years now.
Attached Images
IMG_1556.JPG (73.1 KB, 115 views)
IMG_1426.JPG (83.8 KB, 105 views)
Old March 23rd, 2013 | 07:05 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Great thread,I enjoy reading about the tools that are special for one reason or another.

The tools that would have been special to me are long gone.
When I was 12 my Dad bought me my first set of Craftsman tools to work on my bikes. A couple years later my Family went on vacation and came home to find our house had been robbed. My tools were gone! Very upsetting to me.
As I get older I think to myself how much I would love to still have those tools my Dad bought for me at a young age.
If I still had them they would be cherished.
Old March 23rd, 2013 | 07:33 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Very cool red beret ! I have 4 generations of tools that I am now caretaker of....some of which I have no idea what they were for! I should be preserving them in appropriate toolboxes .
I have three air compressors.....one large (fixed in shop) and a small Dewalt 140psi, and a Co op special that my Dad bought when I was around 10 (180psi). This has been used daily for the past 40 years and never failed. Ever time I walk by it or use it I can still remember how proud my Dad was of his purchase.....it was his first "air tool"

Great idea for a thread

Ted

Last edited by sammy; March 23rd, 2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Addition
Old March 24th, 2013 | 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by sammy
Very cool red beret ! I have 4 generations of tools that I am now caretaker of....some of which I have no idea what they were for! I should be preserving them in appropriate toolboxes .
I have three air compressors.....one large (fixed in shop) and a small Dewalt 140psi, and a Co op special that my Dad bought when I was around 10 (180psi). This has been used daily for the past 40 years and never failed. Ever time I walk by it or use it I can still remember how proud my Dad was of his purchase.....it was his first "air tool"

Great idea for a thread

Ted
Thanks Sammy, how about posting some pics of the tools you do not know what they are for. Maybe we can help you identify them.....
Old March 24th, 2013 | 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
Great thread,I enjoy reading about the tools that are special for one reason or another.

The tools that would have been special to me are long gone.
When I was 12 my Dad bought me my first set of Craftsman tools to work on my bikes. A couple years later my Family went on vacation and came home to find our house had been robbed. My tools were gone! Very upsetting to me.
As I get older I think to myself how much I would love to still have those tools my Dad bought for me at a young age.
If I still had them they would be cherished.
The memory is worth more than the tools. Looks like a lot of us got our start through our Dad.
Old March 24th, 2013 | 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Olds442redberet
I found this old toolbox last year. It was originally sold through Napa Auto Parts in the early seventies. When I found it, it had been sitting out in a shed for some time and was a little rough. I had it sandblasted, powder coated, and I bought some chrome drawer handles at Home Depot . The results were amazing. Since then I have been using it to store my vintage tools. I like the vintage stuff and I have been picking up little odds and ends for a few years now.
I hear you on the vintage stuff. I comb through flea markets regularly looking for unusual tools.....that box looks new! Good job. Is that a old gear puller beside the box?
Old March 24th, 2013 | 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bluemeanie
I still have and use my Dad's Montgomery Ward Bottom and Top Roller toolbox. He kept us fed using that thing in the 70's, and I used it as my main box when I did my time as a tech in the late 80's. It was always the cheapest Box in the Shop, everybody always made fun of it, they seemed to always have new shiny Snap On or Mac boxes. It held my tools and locked up just fine, and I didn't make enough $ for a new one anyway.
I pulled the Carb off the Olds last week to rebuild it (needs an accelerator pump). I was standing there looking at that old thing, with all the stickers and emblems stuck all over it, amazed that all the drawers still worked considering the abuse it's taken, and couldn't help but get all Sappy, thinking how cool it will be to pass it on to my Son with the complete set of Old Craftsman tools that were in it when I got it...
Old March 24th, 2013 | 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bluemeanie
Wow! Great story on the Montgomery Wards box. I would love to see a pic. Think of the stories those tools could tell!
Old March 24th, 2013 | 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Big red72
Nice thread! I still have most of my 300 piece craftsman set my Dad bought me for Christmas when I was 16. It came with the 3 drawer metal box....I still have that same box as the top of my roller cabinet and 2 intermediates....never bought a top box because always want it there. I've added multiple tools over the years, and some replacements as well...I inherited my Dad's tools when he passed away 3 years ago, and his collection inluded some of my Grandfathers...they all mean alot to me.
Amazing how many second third and even fourth generation tools are in this thread. Man I wore the Sears Catalog out looking at that Craftsman set. Not sure how much of my original set is still with me. I know I have replace a lot piece by piece as I misplaced a socket or wrench over the years.
Old March 24th, 2013 | 05:52 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I hear you on that drill - I have one just like it - my first power tool that I got at age 14.
If I was you I would use my hand tools to open that sucker up and see what i s wrong with it. If the brushes are worn, you can get new ones in various places. I have even cut some to fit when i could not find the exact ones.

I still have two big S-K wrenches that my dad left before he abandoned our family 35 years ago. I always wished he would have been a real father and showed me what they were and how to use them...

Then there is the big set of Craftsman sockets, wrenches, and screwdrivers that my mom bought me each year for Christmas, starting at age 13 or so. I would get a new set of something each year, including the big rolling cabinet and chest. Best gifts I ever got and still serving me well.
You are right Rob. I went to Home Depot and bought a new cheap drill for now. But I will dig into that ol BD to see what's up with it. One of the other first tool sets I bought was a SK 1/2" drive socket set. I left this complete set under the seat of a Ford F 150 truck I traded in. I didn't realize they were gone until a month later.
Old March 24th, 2013 | 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
It's funny you brought this up, I just felt this way about an air compressor. I had a nice 60 gallon Ingersoll Rand air compressor that I got around 2004. It is the first big expense ($450) I ever got for the garage after getting married in 2000. I sense got a blast cabinet and it couldn't keep up with only being 12 CFM. Last Saturday I got a new one and listed the old one on craigslist. by Sunday after Church i had a call and it sold. When they picked it up it hit me how well it served me. I changed oil in it 2 times a year and would detail it every oil change. Never needed a single thing the entire time i had it.
Since i bought it the price went up on them and i sold it for $50 less than I paid for it almost 9 years ago. I hope the new one lasts as well.
The care you took of that compressor certainly reflected in your return on investment!
Old March 24th, 2013 | 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass

I also aquired sentimental tools, as I still have a Stanley plane, square, and level set that was my Grandfathers. I have my dads first timing light and some other assorted tools that I aquired when he passed away. These were special to me as they keep memories alive of my dad and I working on things together as far back as I can remember. My dad had a love for cars, although different than mine, but something we always had in common.

I have tools that I haven't had an opportunity to use in over 20 years, and some that probably will never be used for their original purpose ever again. Back plane wire wrapping tools for old mini computers and I/O systems. Crimpers for electrical connectors that no longer exist. Pinball machine relay adjustment tools, I may get a chance to use these again.

I always appreciate the opportunities to use my tools. I won't ever get rid of them. For some strange reason I still keep the ones that don't work anymore with the hopes of someday repairing them.
Old March 24th, 2013 | 06:05 AM

[QUOTE=oldcutlass;524317]I was thinking the very same thoughts about tools the other day. I still have my first 200 piece Craftsman tool set, with metal tool box, that I bought back in 1976 to work on my very first car, a 1967 Olds Cutlass. I too would look forward to birthdays and Xmas to get more tools.

I always appreciate the opportunities to use my tools. I won't ever get rid of them. For some strange reason I still keep the ones that don't work anymore with the hopes of someday repairing them.[/QUOTE

Boy I am with you about not throwing anything away. I have some drawers of my box with broken and old stuff I do not use anymore. I keep thinking they may come in handy for something someday: a pinball machine relay adj tool? I would love to hear the story on that one
Old March 24th, 2013 | 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Funny you should mention that. I still have the Craftsman tools I got back in the early 1970s to work on my first car - a 1968 Vista Cruiser. Since then I've accumulated MANY more, along with three Craftsman three-piece roller tool boxes. This still isn't enough storage, by the way. I also just looked at my Craftsman oxy acetylene torch. The date stamped on the handle is 2-80.

By the way, I'm a bit of a tool collector, and one thing about all the car dealerships closing in the last few years is that many of the Kent Moore factory tools are now on Ebay for cheap. I've managed to collect a lot of those, including a complete piston pin remove/install kit.

Edit: OK, now that I think about it, I actually lied a little about having the same Craftsman tools that I bought in the 1970s, because at least some of them have been replaced under Sears' lifetime warranty, and some have been lost and replaced.
I was thinking the same thing about my original Craftsman tools the other day...I wonder how many are original. Would love to hear more about some of those special factory tools.
Old March 24th, 2013 | 06:31 AM

[QUOTE]I hear you on the vintage stuff. I comb through flea markets regularly looking for unusual tools.....that box looks new! Good job. Is that a old gear puller beside the box?[QUOTE]

Yes. It is an old, and very heavy, gear puller. Some of the older tools work much better than anything I can pick up today.
Old June 9th, 2013 | 08:26 AM

The flip side

There are also tools that make me cringe every time I think about getting it out of the box. An oil filter wrench is one of those. I have strap wrenches and metal band wrenches in various sizes. I think I hate them all equally
Old June 9th, 2013 | 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sampson
There are also tools that make me cringe every time I think about getting it out of the box. An oil filter wrench is one of those. I have strap wrenches and metal band wrenches in various sizes. I think I hate them all equally

PLIERS is the only way to attack oil filters. Special oil filter pliers. Unless they just will not access it.

"Amazing how many second third and even fourth generation tools are in this thread. Man I wore the Sears Catalog out looking at that Craftsman set. Not sure how much of my original set is still with me. I know I have replace a lot piece by piece as I misplaced a socket or wrench over the years."
=======================
My all-purpose socket set I inherited from my uncle who ran the farm. Husky brand, in a metal box, 3/8 set thru 3/4 short and thru 13/16 of course (spark plug size) deeps. But, over the years some sockets broke, some I just got sick of 12-pt sockets rounding off fasteners, then the ratchet got replaced by a Craftsman swivel head long arm, the extensions are now Snap-on, as is the 6-pt 9/16 socket for stubborn exhaust bolts. Added 5/16 and 1/4 sockets... added a tiny screwdriver which also serves to pry out the socket you need. Added 10mm & 15mm which have no fractional equivalent. Added a T50 and such. Some of the added tools are stored inside the deep sockets.

There might be ONE original 12-pt Husky socket now.

There is NO ROOM for even 1 more item, and what is there has to be arranged just right or the lid won't close. The paint is beat to hell, and one lid hinge rivet is replaced by a screw. But, it does EVERYTHING on those boneyard trips and general service, and it always brings back memories of the old days on the farm. I learned a lot from that uncle. Get and read the manual, for one thing.
Old August 9th, 2013 | 06:28 PM

I bought some new fandangled tools that will probably move into the most valued tool list after this resto. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc...66000P?prdNo=1. This socket will grip even the most damaged nut or bolt enough to remove it. They have saved the day for me several times recently. Thank you Eddie Hanson for the recommendation.
Old August 10th, 2013 | 07:49 AM

Sampson: That's a great little tool. I'll have to check into getting one this weekend.

I just picked up a very nice Snap on tool box off of Craigslist. I beleive I got a real good deal. And I love the box! It is smaller than my other Snap On but it has more drawers and is more usable. And buying them used saves me so much.

I don't really buy too many things new anymore. I usually scan the locals and Ebay for what I need as far as tools go. Although I did have to break down and buy a brass punch from NAPA last week in order to complete some repairs on the 69 Cutlass. I wanted the job done that day so I could take the car to a local show.
Old August 10th, 2013 | 08:22 AM

Interesting thread... I have a bunch of tools as well. (woodworking, mechanic, and plumbing) Some of the stuff I bought as an apprentice when I was 14, some carving tools I received as gifts back in '71. My dad's collection of tools... (plumber)
I have been setting some aside now for my grandson. (4 months old!) he has a 6" Ridgid Pipe wrench... its a family tradition thing...
I have been building my own wooden tool boxes to hold all this stuff so they can roll under the bench and be out of the way. Also I can roll them out and they act as portable benches.
Old August 10th, 2013 | 09:38 AM

I love the idea of passing things, especially tools, down from generation to generation.
Old August 10th, 2013 | 09:46 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Interesting thread. I haven't had them for years but I remember the first tools I bought back in the late 50's. They were a set of combination open end wrenches. This was long before Chinese tools. I think I bought them at Montgomery Ward but they were not their top of the line tools which I think they called Powermaster (a guess). I was so proud of those wrenches. I remember they were thin. My Dad was a refrigeration repairman for Wards and he traded me one of his good wrenches for mine because the thin wrench would get into some tight place he need to get to often. I thought that was cool and I still remember it. If I still had those wrenches I would probably have them framed and mounted on the wall.
Old August 10th, 2013 | 09:50 AM

I got most of my original hand tools when I had a job in high school detailing trade-in cars at a used car lot. Found quite a few under seats but mostly in the trunk. Some labeled Ford and quite a few Montgomery Ward plus other brands long gone. A few Blue Point and quite a few Craftsman.

I still have a drill index and drills from Craftsman from about 1956-58. Most are really dull and I just keep them because they were a gift from Mom who "got it" that I was keen on tools. Dad never got it. I also have an ancient Craftsman tap and die that is OK for cleaning up threads but you wouldn't want to cut new threads as it rounds them.

Finally my favorite power tool is a 1/2 in. Craftsman corded drill from about 1977. It is their commercial quality --a cut above a hobby-level drill and has tons of torque. If a bit binds up it will twist your arm around even if you are expecting it. It doesn't get used much because cordless is so convenient but when I have a tough job it comes out of the cabinet and handles it. It was a gift from a lady friend who also 'got it' that I was a FIY tool guy. I wouldn't have spent that much money on myself back then.
Old August 10th, 2013 | 01:32 PM

I still have a complete set of Cornwell sockets that my dad gave me for Christmas 1963. All complete and nothing has ever broken. I also buy tools at swap meets. Some of the best ratchets can be found in great working order just a little banged up. The only new hand tools I have bought in years are the ratchet box end wrenches. They are the greatest
Old August 10th, 2013 | 03:20 PM
Trying to remember member

My original tool set was stolen out of my '69 El Camino when it was only a few years old.
Best thing that could have happened!!
It was a cheap set, and I regretted getting it. Only bought and kept quality tools ever since then.
Old August 10th, 2013 | 03:58 PM

Back in the day I also lost my roll a round box and tools to a thief ( took them out of the driveway while I was at work. had everything to repair a tractor or car, must have weighed 300 lbs or more, it had to be two or three guys to lift it on a truck. It had most of my dads hand me downs and everything I could afford at the time. I still look for some things that have been lost for thirty years ....Tedd
Old August 10th, 2013 | 05:05 PM
Justin

Tools humm , I lost all the tools I collected my self to a ex that pawned them to get high. Most were craftsmen two rollaway s and air compresser and some house hold tools

Currently I own a lot more then I did and the best women in the world never even blinks when she sees that right off at the end of the year
Old August 10th, 2013 | 05:20 PM

Passing the tools along is important, a lot of the new ones are not as well made and do not stand up. It is more important to pass along the knowledge and skills to the following generations... Oh and of course build things for the Grandchildren! ;-)
Old August 10th, 2013 | 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
Passing the tools along is important, a lot of the new ones are not as well made and do not stand up. It is more important to pass along the knowledge and skills to the following generations... Oh and of course build things for the Grandchildren! ;-)
I agree. It took me a long time to teach those tools and they have gained a lot of knowledge over the years. They have learned a few words that should not be repeated around the grand kids as well
Old August 10th, 2013 | 05:55 PM
Justin

Lol
Old August 10th, 2013 | 06:39 PM

how do you teach them to fall into your hand, or roll toward you? They never seemed to learn that... and the nasty habit of jumping off the bolt just when you almost have enough force to get it loose! and they KNOW exactly when you are lined up PERFECT for a nasty cut! I wish they would unlearn some of THAT!
Old August 10th, 2013 | 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
how do you teach them to fall into your hand, or roll toward you? They never seemed to learn that... and the nasty habit of jumping off the bolt just when you almost have enough force to get it loose! and they KNOW exactly when you are lined up PERFECT for a nasty cut! I wish they would unlearn some of THAT!
Exactly! They are made of tough stuff and have a mind of their own. That's where they learned all the bad language from. But there are others in the box that are specialists. They only come out for specific needs and are professionals at what they do.
Old August 10th, 2013 | 08:07 PM

For me it is not so much the tools but the skills that I have learned from others. Some times when doing a job I will remember the person that taught me a certain skill or trick of the trade, this always puts a smile on my face. I do have tools that I enjoy using and ones that keep on working well year after year. The car hobby would not be the same if I could not enjoy working/building the car from the ground up with my tools.

Last edited by Bernhard; August 10th, 2013 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Tools of Endearment