General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Tire age codes..accident avoided

Old April 20th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Exclamation Tire age codes..accident avoided

A few months back one of us listed a web site relating to tire age codes.
It was a great site and allowed all of us to make sure our tires were safe.
So here is how it helped me.When I took my 64 out for its first long drive of this cold spring I noticed a vibration. ( The car is a 64 dynamic 88 and not known for a smooth quiet drive but this was very unlike its usual feel)
I take my tires off every winter before storage and place another set on the old gal, so I was sure it wasn't a flat spot. So I jacked the car up and looked close at the tires and the shocks, springs and steering. Everything looked fine. But just before I put the car back on the ground I took a look at the tire age...and HOLYSH*t 1 0 0 0 that means the tenth week in the year 2000. The tires were 11 years old.
When I purchased the car three years ago the tires looked fine; nice deep tread,no staining and no visable cracking. Since then I have only had them balanced and kept clean. And like I said I take them off in the winter and store them in my warm basement.
Bottom line...they may look good but checked the age. I have since replaced them. And yes the vibration is gone
Old April 20th, 2011, 08:26 PM

My Delta had a n old set of tires on it when I bought it.

The date code ended in 2, however I looked into it more and the Goodyear Eagle ST's I had on the car in that size stopped being made in 1999, this was in 2006

To make matters worse, my wife at the time WOULD NOT LET ME REPLACE THEM
Old April 20th, 2011, 08:40 PM

Local shops hate that I know how to read the code. I make sure I get new tires. I saw a young couple looking for tires and I showed them how to read the code. They were very thankful. Is it only us car guys in the general population that know about it?
Old April 20th, 2011, 09:03 PM

Navvet - glad it helped someone!!

Redog - I hope you made her drive the car - - Probably would've saved $$$$!

442much - I caught the article on Yahoo - but I bet few took notice!!
Old April 20th, 2011, 09:14 PM

That is the most common problem with collector cars that get little miles over the years. I bought my olds in 1977 and it had mobile radials with a warranty. In about 1979 I got a new set of tires. Last year when I brought my convertible home from three years at the beach I prayed the tires would make the final trip and finally took them out of service. Thirty years!!!!!!!!! I must have been crazy.

Lee
Old April 20th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Actually we had quite a discussion on this topic. I was really leary of taking my 72 to the Rocket Roundup last July since the tires on it were over 20 years old. They looked brand new, no cracking. In fact they still had the rubber nubs you find on tires with less than 300 miles on them (and that's what they were - 300 mile 20+ year old tires). Anyway, they have ALWAYS been stored inside, properly inflated and I took the chance for the road trip. Like driving new tires. In my case, there was no downside. I think the majority of the problems occur through exposure to ultraviolet light, heat, and crappy road surfaces. I'm not planning to replace them unless I have to.
Old April 20th, 2011, 09:35 PM

I had the same issue - internal belt failure. Luckily it held together for the 50 miles home. Glad it did not go when doing 80 hundreds of miles away, like when i drove the car home for the first time!
Mine were either from 1990 or 2000. I think it was 1990.
Old April 20th, 2011, 09:38 PM

How can you tell how old a tire is? I was once told but it's been ages.
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:27 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

It's our responsibility.

This topic keeps recurring on this and many other forums.
I don't mind that - tires are the first line of defense in road safety and we all have a duty to keep our cars safe.
Some tires may be fine after many years, others may deteriorate after only a few. Many factors are involved, extremes of heat & cold, exposure to sunlight, heavy loads, hard use & bad roads all contribute to early tire failure.
The most common cause of failure I think is running at incorrect pressure. A few years ago the police did a random check at a service station and found over half the cars checked had the wrong tire pressures, 15% of them dangerously wrong.
Years ago when someone else pumped our gas for us getting the tires checked was as routine as checking oil & water levels. Nowadays mostly the hood doesn't get lifted between services and tires get neglected as well.
I hope I'm preaching to the choir here, but check the pressures regularly and have a look for lumps & cuts at the same time. You never know, you might save your (or your familys) life.
Old April 21st, 2011, 06:04 AM

I just replaced 2 BFG Radial TA's because of age, they looked brand new, no way I would take a chance with 10 or 20 year old tires. One blowout at speed and there's probably going to be at least some body damage-no thanks..
Old April 21st, 2011, 01:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rustyroger
........Years ago when someone else pumped our gas for us getting the tires checked was as routine as checking oil & water levels. Nowadays mostly the hood doesn't get lifted between services and tires get neglected as well.
I hope I'm preaching to the choir here, but check the pressures regularly and have a look for lumps & cuts at the same time. You never know, you might save your (or your familys) life.
Sounds like you're the same age as me I remember going to the gas station with Dad when I was a kid. They would pump gas, check oil, trans, and washer (top up as needed after prompting the cust), check tires and clean the windshield!!

Just by chance I happened to be going by a Shell on St. Albert Trail the other day and it said "Full Serve". Couldn't help it; i pulled in. Ummm, full service? Not quite. Someone eventually came out and pumped the gas, but that's it. Nothing else. Compared to the old days, full service is no service. And I wouldn't have to put up with someone who gives attitude like I'm a lazy so and so for interruping his day.

Tire pressure: Absolutely. I think that nowadays most people who get Nitrogen in their tires forget to check them too. They do (contrary to public opinion) leak. It's free to get them topped up. Once every 2 weeks, it's a good idea to check the pressure.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:10 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I did the checks.

1972, my first job after leaving college was at a mom and pop car dealer in my home town (remember them?), on Thursdays and Sundays it was my job to be the gas attendant, after a few weeks I could tell you the correct pressures for most popular cars, also I rapidly figured it was worthwhile to be polite & helpful to the customers, some weeks I made more in tips for 1-1/2 days than I got paid in wages!.
I remember the mechanic there giving me the best career advice ever -"Do it nice or do it twice". Wise words indeed from a guy who left school at 12 years old.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:09 AM
Administrator

The guy at the gas station looked puzzled when asked if he had any motor oil and said to try the 7-11 up the street.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 1968Cutlassfallbrook
How can you tell how old a tire is? I was once told but it's been ages.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:47 PM

My brother-in-law bought a used motorhome with brand new 10+ year old tires. He blew three the first time out (should have replaced all four after the first blew but didn't). When you buy tires on the road they are more expensive too.

lee