General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Time to cruise

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Time to cruise

Here in the midwest (chi-town )its was 60 yesterday and 60 again today. I took my car out for a cruise,boy did it feel good!!! Lucily it rained recently and washed the salt off the roads. Anyone else got lucky to get out??
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Welcome to the site, Jim!

Now that Lady is back in one piece, I am looking to get out myself.
On Saturday, it will be in the 80's here in Dallas TX, so it looks like a good day for a TOPS DOWN cruise! Not sure where I will go, but I want to get out and go somewhere, even if it turns out to be a 200 mile beer-run.
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Thats how far you have to go? are you in a dry county
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Thats how far you have to go? are you in a dry county
Well it seems as if my preferred beer (Keystone Ice) is not sold locally in the city here... I can only get it in remote country locations, usually 50-70 miles away... It is 6% alky so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Other beers I can get at the local Wally world...
I love the taste of KI and a 30 pack is only 16 bucks and tax - not bad...
Therefore I like to use this as a reason to get out and go for long drives and rides. Even when i am on the Harley, I can easily get a 30 pack int the saddlebags (loosely that is). I usually pick up a 1.5L Irish cream, too, as it is cheaper in the country...
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Registered

Welcome jimm from Chicago who got lucky and went cruising yesterday. Do you have an Oldsmobile???

It was 67 degrees and sunny here yesterday and I spent most of the day raking gravel out of the grass and picking up all the sticks and "stuff" in my yard. Fixed all my yard lights, washed off dog paws, mud season is here. I haven't put the insurance back on the cars so they can't go anywhere yet, it'll be cold and snowing again in no time anyway.
The salt isn't the problem here it's all the chuckholes, asphalt chunks and gravel all over the roads, took out my wife's GP windshield last week.
The grass will be growing soon and then all that starts again. Raining today so I'm heading back to the barn to get the tractor ready then start a fire and burn the sticks and junk. With enough accelerant anything will burn in the rain.
I hate responsibility.
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I hate responsibility.
I hear ya'... Unfortunately, much of that comes with homeownership. Makes me wish i was a teenager again, but then even that had disadvantages, like less freedom no space, and no privacy living with the folks. I do not mind yarwork too much, I consider it exercise and a time get out of the house and hang out withthe neighbors. It is 70 going on 80 today, so it will be a great cruise day!

Last edited by gearheads78; March 7th, 2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:14 AM

QUIT BRAGGING
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Um, its 4 degrees right now with a wind chill of, uh, minus 6. I think the 442 convertable will stay in storage a while longer...like 2 more MONTHS!
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:14 AM
71 cutlass convertible

IN md about 70 today and tomorrow. working today will try and take out the car tomorrow. If I can get the honey-does done.
Larry
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM
car guy

At least you have a car together to drive and enjoy this weather. I'm stuck at work and the car is apart at home. Note to self...... go back to having multiple projects and keep one running when the others are being worked on.
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
At least you have a car together to drive and enjoy this weather. I'm stuck at work and the car is apart at home.......
Should I drive my car over there so i can rub it in even more??

She drove well today and was happy to stretch her legs over a short 70 mile trip. The dynamat made a big difference. With the top up at 75 it was so quiet and smooth that I was getting very sleepy... Just the normal wind noise through the ragtop...
I gotta get a current inspection sticker next - I realized when I was on the road that mine expired 6 months ago when the interior started coming out.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 8th, 2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Ok you have rubbed it in enough. I went out to the garage and looked at my car while it was snowing here. All the while you are cruising down the road with your top down.
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:45 PM

Smile Cruising

I don't even think about cruising until after Easter...and then I wait for a few rain storms to eliminate the salt...
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Should I drive my car over there so i can brag a little more even??

She drove well today and was happy to stretch her legs over a short 70 mile trip. The dynamat made a big difference. With the top up at 75 it was so quiet and smooth that I was getting very sleepy...
I gotta get a current inspection sticker next - I realized when I was on the road that mine expired 6 months ago when the interior started coming out.
I guess you can't put the top down with all that stuff stuck to it?
I called the Texas DMV and they're sending Chuck Norris and his posse after you for an expired inspection sticker. You can now join the ranks of legendary outlaws. Jesse James, Billy the Kid and Texas Rob the Otterboy.

I'll tell you where to stick your Dynamat.
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Captain of my ship

Unhappy Cruising???

Looking out my window right now and we are getting wet heavy snow again Looks like the only thing I am going to cruising in is my tractor to do some plowing. Then I will go back to trying to put the car back together.
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:44 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Just back from a nice Sunday drive. Put the top down rode around for a couple hours(86 miles). Saw alot of other conv. out. Only one other olds looked to be a 66 442 coupe.
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:54 PM

78 degrees here on the mt in tn ,you guys out riding around ,i started to take the forty one out to take the pic for yo all and rain rain and more %$# rain ,so i took them in side of shop hope to have her inspected at the stat emm test boy are the going to have fun inspecting a 40 olds for smog control
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by west.56
78 degrees here on the mt in tn ,you guys out riding around ,i started to take the forty one out to take the pic for yo all and rain rain and more %$# rain ,so i took them in side of shop hope to have her inspected at the stat emm test boy are the going to have fun inspecting a 40 olds for smog control
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:23 PM

Cool A long road to nowhere...

Well today was about a nice a day one can have for driving top-down, or riding a bike... It was sunny, low 80's and less windy than yesterday.
I first rode my bike to church and on the way home, I ~finally~ took it to my favorite inspection place (1.4 years late) . Since Allan was sending the inspection possee this way , I had better get that done. That place is so cool... He is an old car guy and a biker also. He just looked at the bike and gave me a sticker...

When i got home, i decided to take Lady out there also to get hers (6 months overdue)....
Now driving a car like this ain't easy. Rounding the curve in the alley before I could exit, the guy at the end who never talks to me stared at us and started saying how nice my car was. Now caught off guard around a corner and trying to wave, I almost ran though his yard...
As soon as I turn onto the street, a group of kids waved, so I had to wave and turn tight at the same time... Talk about too much attention!
Again, the inspection guy tells me to pull her in. He looks at everything but the safety features and gives ME the sticker to put on myself. Also, the place gives free wash coupons that i use on my other cars.
After that, it was time to come home and do yard work. However, Lady seemed to have a mind of her own and started heading north east... I let her go where she wanted. We hit the less travelled farm roads on a well travelled fun route through the country. I saw lots of bikers, a couple brass-era cars, and a 'Vette 'vert'. I had the music cranked up and it was loud and clear with the top down. The sun felt nice and the ride was so smooth. Absolutely NO vibration can be felt though the floorboards. I heard wind noise but nothing else then.
I DID think about you guys who were still inside watching the white stuff accumulate... We do get spring earlier but you guys can at least cruise during your summer. When the 100*+ days set in, I go nowhere..
Almost to the house I pass one of our own city cops and was glad I had that new sticker! Therefore he just gave me a big wave and a stare...
So after about 50-60 miles, I get home. This makes 120 miles in the past two days, going absolutely nowhere. It felt so good though!
BTW, Lady did her very first second gear tire chirp, accidentally though... Love that V8 torque!

I then had to do my yard work so I would not get mad at myself...
Soon i will make a weekend trip to the lake...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 8th, 2009 at 05:43 PM.