General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Throttle cable bracket

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2022, 07:31 PM

Throttle cable bracket

So as I am preparing my intake for install, I noticed that my two throttle cable brackets were different.
the one on the car and my planned spare use one have indentation around the cable holding area and 3 holes for springs…my third one only has 2 holes and no indentation.

Anyone no the reason for this?

Old February 25th, 2022, 04:37 AM

No facts on my side, so I can only speculate. My only guess would be, if they're both GM parts, is that a different manufacturer made them, or each came from different model? This is not an unusual thing. One vendor may make the production parts, and for whatever reason, a different vendor may come in and make repair parts to be sold OTC at dealerships. They just have to fit and function to pass the grade. The one on the right is thinner than the one on the left in that area, so the indentations" as it were around the cable hole is stamped in a manner to add rigidity while making it easier to install/remove the cable clips. The left cable hole is already thick enough needing no stiffening.

Mostly, but not always, when GM changes vendors and/or significantly upgrades/changes parts, they usually change part numbers. This is not always the case, as in the yellow T-handled Olds V8 dipsticks (both BBO and SBO) carried the same p/n's as the older, round-head ones right before they went discontinued. Imagine my surprise after ordering those things and getting yellow T-handled sticks.
Old February 27th, 2022, 07:02 AM

Thanks, it was a subtle dif I would not have looked for if they hadn’t been side by side…
the 3 hole stamped is going on the car…