General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Thoughts on removing air conditioning?

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2022, 02:41 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Thoughts on removing air conditioning?

I don't like AC cars. My '70 pace car has air conditioning and it does not work. It's also poorly installed. If you were a potential buyer, would you be deterred from buying a car that had a block off plate on the firewall? Even if you received all of the AC components restored and ready to bolt on? Not sure how long I'll have this car, but if I keep it for a bit I really don't want the AC on it. I'd keep the brackets but probably switch the alternator to the other side with different brackets, change the engine harness, etc. All minor changes easy enough to revert back in a matter of hours.
Old September 7th, 2022, 03:10 PM

Based on the pedigree of the vehicles in your profile I’m really surprised that you would hate the AC components enough to simply remove them. Perhaps someone with a non AC car in like condition would be willing to trade. Of course you CAN remove the components, but why? I think that you would be degrading the value and making the car less attractive to the next potential caregiver.
Old September 7th, 2022, 03:22 PM

What do you not like about A/C cars Jimmy? The looks? Crowded engine compartment? If the car was owned by someone in the south like me, A/C may be a plus for those hot summer months. On a car with some level of collector value like a pace car In my opinion I would leave it alone and just not use it.
Old September 7th, 2022, 03:34 PM
Administrator

If it were me, I would repair the a/c if you're worried about future value.
Old September 7th, 2022, 03:40 PM

I think a 70 conv. with ac is pretty cool. Best of both worlds.
I think removing it would be a PIA. I'd spend the time on getting it to work.
Old September 7th, 2022, 03:45 PM

If resale is in the foreseeable future, fix the AC. If resale isn't in the near future I'd still fix the AC but that is me, since it would be reversible do what makes you happiest!

My $0.03...

Good luck!!!
Old September 7th, 2022, 03:45 PM

Just pull the belt, leave it be, forget its there. Removing it and keeping parts isn’t the same as it all in place once you choose to sell. I am with you, I live in Florida, no AC on either of my 442’s.. no problem for me..its a preference
Old September 7th, 2022, 04:04 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Originally Posted by Ap6954
What do you not like about A/C cars Jimmy? The looks? Crowded engine compartment? If the car was owned by someone in the south like me, A/C may be a plus for those hot summer months. On a car with some level of collector value like a pace car In my opinion I would leave it alone and just not use it.
I don’t like the way it looks. Under the hood just feels crowded.
Old September 7th, 2022, 04:32 PM

Having grown up in SW Louisiana, then lived in SE Texas and now Arizona, I can't even imagine driving a car without AC. I did it for several weeks when the wife's AC quit in the middle of Arizona summer and we switched cars until parts came in - that was brutal. Black car with black interior.

Anyway, I wouldn't even consider a car without AC.
Old September 7th, 2022, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
I don’t like the way it looks. Under the hood just feels crowded.
Yes the passenger side is crowded. I get it. I just would not remove it if the car came with it. Just my opinion. I do know based on your prior work if you did remove it, you would do a fine job of it.
Old September 7th, 2022, 10:22 PM

To me, cars that have A/C but with missing components under the hood just looks like hell. No matter how nice the rest of the car or truck is, it looks hacked up. Imagine a absolutely gorgeous woman with missing teeth.

Just my opinion, but since this is a car that’s only going to get more valuable, fix the A/C. Or if you absolutely refuse to use the A/C, keep it intact but don’t repair it. If you absolutely can’t stand the thought of having A/C, remove it completely. That means modifying the firewall, installing a heater, and the required internal modifications. Once again, pace cars are valuable, do you really want to jack up a car like that??

Yes, it’s a hassle working around the A/C case and compressor. But assuming the car is in a reasonable
state of repair, how much of a hassle can it be??

Last edited by matt69olds; September 7th, 2022 at 10:25 PM.
Old September 8th, 2022, 01:22 PM
Rocket Renegade!

I would be deterred from buying a car that was missing significant factory-installed equipment. If it was originally ordered with A/C, I'd want it to be there. That said, it's your car. If you're going to keep it, equip it however you like.
Old September 8th, 2022, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
I would be deterred from buying a car that was missing significant factory-installed equipment. If it was originally ordered with A/C, I'd want it to be there. That said, it's your car. If you're going to keep it, equip it however you like.
This! It drives me nuts when people yank the HVAC (because racecar). Having a defroster is invaluable in the rain or even a chilly, fall morning.
Old September 8th, 2022, 01:50 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

If the removal of under-hood components is complete and the installation of OEM non-a/c bracketry follows in its place with all original parts retained, hard to fathom that someone would be swayed from buying the car over that - if the stuff is non-functional anyway, it would still have to come off for repairs, so what's the real issue in that?

As others have said and I will attest, having replaced my ragtop's OEM a/c with a Vintage Air system, it is a huge benefit to have the entire right side motor accessible from the top.

and not to start a sub-post rant but as EV's become more prevalent in our motoring world, fuel costs spike in response and as younger generations coming into financial security are more interested in newer-tech collectible vehicles, what really will work to maintain our vehicle values to substantive levels anyway such that we can't afford to enjoy it the way we want now?

so my vote would be go for it.

Last edited by 70sgeek; September 8th, 2022 at 01:54 PM.