General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Thinking about selling?

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Registered car nut

Thinking about selling?

My 65 Cutlass Not hurting anything sitting and waiting for me. But economy what it is I may not have a choice. My wifes been out of work for way too many months.
I'm not emotionally attached, not a family car. No history other than I know the P.O. I do like it but could get over it.
Its plenty solid, seems original but other than a convertible nothing special. 330 2 sp auto. column shift. Decent very low rust shape.(trunk pans are pretty thin)
Runs drives decent. 330 is smooth but smokes.
Top is shot, have new top but the labor is the big expense.

I've seen price guides but none describe my car.
What I am wondering is does 6K seem fair? high? low?

I understand its hard to tell w/o seeing it up close. A few local guys on the forum have seen it but probably didn't look too close at the Cutlass Groits get together.

Love to get opinions, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cutlass.jpg (113.4 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by nonhog; June 18th, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Sorry to hear of your problems, At $6k someone will get a nice car! Hope everything turns out well. Good luck!
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Too bad you might have to sell. The good thing is the car isn't an emotional attachment. Pro's: It's a 65 vert! Needs some help with the body/paint but a gorgeous car. Love the wheels you chose for it. This is a desirable car for a collector.

Con's It's an old car that needs work. Motor, vert top, paint/body...maybe more?

Checked the pics on your album - looks like a pretty solid car. I did a web check and 65's go for big $$$ in perfect shape, down to 3K for avg. And that's for HT or vert. I'm sure some of the 65 owners will be able to give you some sight unseen approximates, but it would help them if you posted a bunch of pics that show the +s and -s of the car, and the mileage?

TK65 prolly knows a lot about this.
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Sorry to hear of your problems, At $6k someone will get a nice car! Hope everything turns out well. Good luck!
Thanks! its temporary, it has to be, looking at this positively!
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by Allan R
Too bad you might have to sell. The good thing is the car isn't an emotional attachment. Pro's: It's a 65 vert! Needs some help with the body/paint but a gorgeous car. Love the wheels you chose for it. This is a desirable car for a collector.

Con's It's an old car that needs work. Motor, vert top, paint/body...maybe more?

Checked the pics on your album - looks like a pretty solid car. I did a web check and 65's go for big $$$ in perfect shape, down to 3K for avg. And that's for HT or vert. I'm sure some of the 65 owners will be able to give you some sight unseen approximates, but it would help them if you posted a bunch of pics that show the +s and -s of the car, and the mileage?

TK65 prolly knows a lot about this.
Paint and top for sure. Its a project but a driveable original one. Not much
molesting has gone on to this car. ODO did stop working and someone added a "start praying" with an old school label maker. So I don't know miles. Interior has good but faded carpet. Rear seat is very brittle but I have a new cover for it. Lets think? I repaired hood (only badly rusted spot on car) did a get by. Have good hood.
Only minor dents, has had a 1/4 done before and they did a poor job of filling the trim holes.(upper trim which my doesn't have)
Oh no more Vette wheels, probably a plus for the purist.
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM

Opinion

$6000 seems like a very fair price....and because I am biased, a bit low. Granted I bought my car in 2006 when prices were higher....

The top isn't a huge expense. I had mine done through my local shop, and the total was $800. Carpet was just done at $400 installed (best carpet with the original nap I could find). Back seat was re-stuffed and broken springs fixed for $150.

No matter how you look at it, at $6000 the price seems extremely well placed in the "ball park".
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:15 PM

because of the odometer issue, and because of the motor needing some work...i would say you have more value in parts than as a whole car. the 65 trim set is hard to find, and desireable to refinishers. the bumpers are not reproduced, neither is the front grill, head light bezels, turn signal housings, reverse light housings, dash panel, some interior trim, rear valence, tail light housings, & wheel well trim. people that need those parts pay top dollar for them. even if they aren't mint, people want those parts. just the parts i listed are probably near $5,000 alone. depends how much work you want to put into it. $6,000 for that car is definately worth it either way, just saying the buyer would probably part out rather than deal with the odometer issue.

either that or it would be a great frame-off candidate, as well.
Old June 20th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by 1965cutlassragtop
because of the odometer issue, and because of the motor needing some work...i would say you have more value in parts than as a whole car.

I've parted cars before, too dang old for that. Plus no interest. this car is far from cherry but way too nice to part. I've had lots of A body's before
this would be an easy fix. I'm not set on selling but it won't be long and I'll have to decide.
To me a 330 2 speed car is fine for a all stock resto but even better for a warmed over resto. That being said I think miles is not a big issue.
(on this car, in its current condition)

either that or it would be a great frame-off candidate, as well.
Thats sounds much better!
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:24 AM

i know he said he didn't want to part it out, i was just saying he has way more value in parts than $6K.

just saying the buyer would probably part out
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

This buyer wouldn't part it out!! A ragtop would round out my '65 fleet. You are dangerously close - and I'll be in your neighborhood in a couple of weeks for the NW Nats Goodguys event too....
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Registered car nut

Today my wife tells me our daughter has plans for the Cutlass in her wedding. She'll need to get engaged and all that 1st. LOL
Might be able to find another one by that time.
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:35 PM

Dude, rolling to the reception in a ragtop is going totally ruin her hairdo...
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Tell her not to be in a hurry. The Cutlass has waited 47 years already - it'll wait a few more. How old is your daughter? Does that give you time to do what you want before setting aside $$$ for the wedding?
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
Dude, rolling to the reception in a ragtop is going totally ruin her hairdo...
I'm good with that....

Old July 4th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Registered car nut

She has a boyfriend but no plans for marriage. Boyfriends are like project cars. Always another around the corner.
Besides my wifes Volvo (don't laugh) has family history, gift from dad.
So that will work. Its not totally uncool, getting a V8 swap.
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:29 AM

I say, if the wife's not working, pick a price and run with it. Might be a bit late in the year for selling a rag, but you don't really care anyway. If you don't get your price you keep it. Besides, you can always find another car that burns oil. I find them all the time !!
If the economy continues to slide, and the wife gets work, you might buy it back later for half what you paid for it. Just trying to be optomistic. Doesn't always work, though. 14 years ago I sold my 70 GTO convert for $2900 with rebuilt drivetrain. Wanted to pay down my mortgage. Car never came back, and prices went through the roof....still bummed out about that one.
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by HonestDave
I say, if the wife's not working, pick a price and run with it. If you don't get your price you keep it.
Looks more and more like I'll sell. Or I should say put up for sale.
Won't matter what I do or think w/o a buyer who agree's with my price.

My mind is already day dreaming about my next Olds. I'm a sick man.
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Put out some ad's and see what happens! Good luck!
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Registered car nut

Put out some ad's and see what happens! Good luck!
Have to unearth it from the shop and cruise it a couple times at least first.

Be late this month and I'll start testing the waters.
Old July 6th, 2012, 03:02 PM

Don't do it!

Don't do it!! Don't sell. I was faced with the same decision a few times over the last four years. We started our company cold - not one single customer. There were times when we didn't know how we were going to make it and I kept eying my Jaguar in the garage thinking "If I sold it we could pay_____". What will happen is that 6 or 7 grand you get for it will vapourize into VISA pmts, mortgage, whatever and you will feel like you are no further ahead for having given up your prized toy. Just a drop in the bucket. In essence what I'm saying is, selling your wicked awesome ragtop is a knee jerk reaction to your present situation. Things improve, change.
The second you hand over those keys you will regret it. I did when I sold my mint '66 hard top 10 years ago.

Ok, enough soap box stuff. Carry on as you were.
Old July 6th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Nonhog,
Remember what you said at the beginning. "Wife's been out of work for months and I may not have a choice".

First you have to decide whether you have a choice or not. If not, what we think is of little value. I'm sure we all like the rocket, though, it's got style !
Old July 6th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Registered car nut

Don't do it!! Don't sell. I was faced with the same decision a few times over the last four years. We started our company cold - not one single customer. There were times when we didn't know how we were going to make it and I kept eying my Jaguar in the garage thinking "If I sold it we could pay_____". What will happen is that 6 or 7 grand you get for it will vapourize into VISA pmts, mortgage, whatever and you will feel like you are no further ahead for having given up your prized toy. Just a drop in the bucket. In essence what I'm saying is, selling your wicked awesome ragtop is a knee jerk reaction to your present situation. Things improve, change.
The second you hand over those keys you will regret it. I did when I sold my mint '66 hard top 10 years ago.

Ok, enough soap box stuff. Carry on as you were.
I get what your saying. I sold my bike to pay off bills (short term of course) a few years ago.
Sold my 66 Chevelle vert when I lost my storage.
Bought /Sold a few in my time. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...uve-owned.html
I'm not worried.
Don't miss the Chevelle, miss the bike now and then but not nearly as much as I thought.
If the Cutlass sells I will lose an opportunity that will likely never show up the same again. But something close enough will. Thats my take.

My wife has given me zero pressure to do the sale. In fact she probably likes the car more than I do.

I have thought about suggesting we sell one of her projects. Problem is we would get very little for it $1500 ish? Equally funny I really like the lil Volvo.
Might be they both go?
Attached Images
XB%20Amazon.jpg (49.0 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by nonhog; July 6th, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old July 6th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Registered car nut

what we think is of little value.
I respectfully disagree. I find value in other car guys/gals opinion. Sometimes nothing changes, sometimes you get an "ah ha".
Sometimes its just theraputic.
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:53 PM

OI! you can't sell that awesome volvo wagon either! make it the daily and unload that rolling pile of car payments and insurance parked in front of it! NOW you're getting ahead.
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:45 PM

Hey Nonhog,
It's so simple, it just came to me. Why don't you do what I do. I almost always have too many old cars around. When I can't make up my mind, I sometimes put 2 or 3 up for sale at the same time and let the buying public tell me which car I'm selling. Whichever ones I'm l left with, I like, because I like all the cars I buy (especially the Oldsmobiles, right !!).
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Registered car nut

OI! you can't sell that awesome volvo wagon either! make it the daily and unload that rolling pile of car payments and insurance parked in front of it! NOW you're getting ahead.
Hey Nonhog,
It's so simple, it just came to me. Why don't you do what I do. I almost always have too many old cars around. When I can't make up my mind, I sometimes put 2 or 3 up for sale at the same time and let the buying public tell me which car I'm selling. Whichever ones I'm l left with, I like, because I like all the cars I buy (especially the Oldsmobiles, right !!).
Thanks for the support guys! NS I hear you about the XB. However its been near trouble free for 100K+ and still gets over 35 MPG. Have to drive very careful. And its paid for.
Been talking with Mrs. Nonhog this weekend.(we got away to my parents cabin) No firm decision yet.

More Amazon .......http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=volvo

HD good thinking! Who knows what will sell? Sure not giving anything away!
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by nonhog
No firm decision yet.
Decision made. Its for sale.
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Let the games begin, good luck!
Old August 13th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Registered car nut

I have had some response but mostly tire kickers. LOL
Some interesting trade offers, but nobody has came and looked yet.
Slow market.
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Administrator

How's the job picture looking, any changes there?
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Registered car nut

How's the job picture looking, any changes there?
Same as many others......Not good. She's willing to get a foot in the door somewhere but entry level jobs are almost worse because based on the past they think she'll skip when a better job comes along. (probably true)
The higher (or what was) paying jobs are paying less and get the younger job seekers.

Still have hope for getting a job but thinking the Cutlass will still need to go. I'm not to sad at this point(could change if I see it driving away with a stranger driving it)
Old August 13th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Administrator

With all sincerity, I hope everything works out!
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Registered car nut

Cruised the neighborhood

Have an offer of 4500.00 I am considering it. Had fun out for a spin.
Attached Images
Olds august 008.jpg (75.2 KB, 32 views)
Olds august 005.jpg (60.7 KB, 31 views)
Olds august 007.jpg (65.5 KB, 28 views)
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Administrator

I think $4500 is too low! See if you can bump him up a bit! They still hang people for horse thievin!
Old August 15th, 2012, 08:14 AM

Unless you offer financing, I say take the loot. Cash seems to be getting a little harder to come by, at least in my neck of the woods.
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Registered car nut

Mr. $4500.00 said it'll be a couple weeks but he wants it. Sure!
Had an interested party coming this morning to look but called back and said he is losing his job.
So far one month into my sale attempt and only 1 showing.
Took it out to a couple small cruise ins tonight. Sure is fun to drive.
If I am lucky nobody will buy it and mamma will get a job. A real good one!
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:26 PM
Registered car nut

Had a cement trade deal going but it fell through also.
So far I've only shown it twice. Slow go!

2 interesting trades offered. One a 69 ElCamino and one a 68 Ford f100 4x4. Good looking from the pics but not really what I need right now.

Oh ceramic tile 6K worth. I had to pass.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:33 AM

Very stressful trying to sell a car. I've always found it easier if I don't really want to part with something. Buyers seem to come out of the woodwork. If I ever was tight for cash, people could almost sense it, and they avoided me like the plague. At least you're still above water, financially, it sounds like. You'll probably do well.
Old August 26th, 2012, 12:58 PM

Hey Nonhog,
You don't call, you don't write, what gives? Just kidding !! Enquiring minds need to know, what happened to the machine? Seems like your asking price is pretty near give-away. Just wondering if you've had any success.
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Registered car nut

I went and met a guy with a 72 C10 factory 402,T400 long bed. because I need a truck. It was decent and probably trade worthy but just didn't spark what needed to get sparked for a full trade.

Few other offers to trade that I have yet to get back. Was busy this weekend pouring concrete (that I can't afford) and dropping a tree at my parents cabin.

Starting to think it will stay with me, as the summer 'got to have a vert'
feel is going away for people.

Who knows? Not too worried.
I have been wondering if its worth my time to install the factory wheel covers and some whitewalls.?

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling?