General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Things I should know before buying a project car

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2020, 04:16 PM

Things I should know before buying a project car

Hello, I am about to buy a 1974 Olds 442 that will be my project car.
​​​​​​Unfortunately I have no pictures of it so I will try to discribe its condition.
The car has been parked outdoors covered for more than a decade. I saw it and have a dent in the right front quarter panel, dent in the left front panel that broke the header light lense, it have no right rear light lenses, some little holes in the floor panels.
The interior is complete but needs restoration. Not in a really bad shape.
The car is complete almost all original parts.
It is blue with white vinyl roof and interior. Seats are vinyl white and blue cloth. Console, swivel bucket seats, A/C, full option car...
I went to see the owner today but he wasn't there so I won't be able to rearrange a meeting with him until next month. I hoped to see the engine and the vin tag today but I was unlucky with that.
I want to buy that car no matter what it will be my next project. I know it will cost a lot to be restored, but it will be done the perfect way, slowly when my finance allows.
The car looks pretty solid. I have heard that white vinyl seats with blue cloth indicates that the car is a w30 and the engine should be a 455. Is that true? How I can confirm if the car is a w30? I know I have to see the engine stampings to see if it's a 455 or not. And what are your thoughts on such a project? Thanks guys.
​​
Old August 9th, 2020, 06:34 PM

Try to get it for as cheaply as possible. The 74 442 was in the middle of the downslide of GM performance and is not very valuable. It can be confirmed to be a "w-30" because all that code meant that years was a 455. You can confirm numbers matching engine and transmission and also confirm it's a w-30. Interior means nothing.

You're in Lebanon, parts for these cars will not be in your country. Be advised, being passionately devoted to buying the car no matter what is a great way to get raped on price. Find out what has to be replaced, that's what is going to be bad for you. Paint and chrome and cleaning and rebuilding are easier. Be ready to walk away if the owner tries to stick you for money, and, do not get all "this car is my passion" on him. Pretend like you are BARELY interested.
Old August 9th, 2020, 07:12 PM
Administrator

The one thing you should know before buying any car is your own limitations, whether they be financial or mechanical. I've seen many a project that could not be completed because people bite off more than they can chew and ultimately lose interest. Weigh the difference between buying a major project or purchasing a completed car.
Old August 9th, 2020, 07:41 PM

That's a beautiful color combo IMO; especially, with the unique swivel buckets. But, one thing you need to know about this generation of Cutlass is how little is available in new repro interior and exterior trim parts. You don't just open a catalog and order what you need like with the previous generations. And, it can be very difficult to find nice used parts. The only correct interior trim parts being reproduced that I can think of off-hand are the "A" pillar moldings and headliners. Perhaps the most difficult to find are the interior sail panel/opera window surround moldings. Fortunately, some of these plastic trims are shared with certain other GM "A" bodies of that period...and, that helps to expand the search. And, forget about finding any usable interior plastic in white. That color fared the worst against U.V./weathering and is always showing signs of dry-rot. You'll just need to plan on painting whatever colors you do find. With that said, a good used tail light lens shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Last edited by crimsoncolby; August 9th, 2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old August 10th, 2020, 06:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

First, there was no "W30" option in the 1974 model year, so whoever you heard that from is clueless. Second, availability of repro parts for the 73-77 A-body cars is dismal. This will not be an easy or inexpensive resto. Third, the value of 73-77 A-body cars is still pretty low, even in pristine condition. Depending on your skills and how much the car needs, expect to have 2x to 5x the value of the finished car into a restoration.
Old August 10th, 2020, 08:24 AM

I was under the impression that the w-30 designator was used for the 455 that year.
Old August 10th, 2020, 08:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
I was under the impression that the w-30 designator was used for the 455 that year.
Only on the H/O.
Old August 10th, 2020, 09:05 AM

Yep...H/O's were the only ones to wear the W-30 badging that year. And, two-toned swivel bucket fabric had nothing to do with designating whether the car had a 455 in it or not.

If you really like the looks of the car and expect to spend a lot of time and money restoring it, then go for it. Point we are making is that it will not be an easy project from the standpoint of locating needed parts. But, it's not an impossible task, either. I and others on here and on other online sites can be a big help. And, as for having far more money invested in it than it will be worth in the end...well, welcome to the club. That's pretty much a given when engaged in this hobby. Good luck!
Old August 10th, 2020, 09:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by crimsoncolby
And, as for having far more money invested in it than it will be worth in the end...well, welcome to the club.
And I'd be lying if I didn't say that every one of my projects is that way. My point to the OP was to allow him to make an informed decision. Note that he appears not to be in the US. Finding parts for the 73-77 cars is very difficult here. I can only imagine how hard and expensive it would be there.