General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Are these drain holes or what?

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2022, 07:28 PM

Are these drain holes or what?

My '70 CS Convertible got rained on pretty hard the past few days. When I backed out of the driveway I noticed a trail of water I've never seen before, so I found the source of where it was coming from which was a hole under the rear quarter just in front of the wheel. Though water was streaming out there seemed to be a slight blockage, so with my key I pushed on it and as it gave way oh yeah a river came pouring out. Same hole other side but, same blockage but more in tact, and no water. Are these drain holes? Should they be plugged? Not sure what to think or do about this, if anything.
Old August 1st, 2022, 07:52 PM
Oldsdruid

Probably the top gutter drains. The plastic gutter under the top opening pinchweld routes water forward of the rear wheel wells where it runs down the inner body structure and out the drain openings. Fisher Body Manual should show it.

The openings are often plugged. Results in water building up in the body and overflowing into the rear footwells and armrests.
Old August 2nd, 2022, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
The openings are often plugged. Results in water building up in the body and overflowing into the rear footwells and armrests.
And rotten sheetmetal!
Old August 6th, 2022, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Probably the top gutter drains. The plastic gutter under the top opening pinchweld routes water forward of the rear wheel wells where it runs down the inner body structure and out the drain openings. Fisher Body Manual should show it.

That makes sense. I've been having trouble with those gutters lately and finding water in the trunk. Everything seems in tact, lined up correctly, the top is fairly new and I've cleaned everything to make sure there is no blockage. I'm wondering if water is coming in from somewhere else like maybe the back window sills. I'm considering changing all the rubber seals.

Ok thanks