General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Thermostat housing

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2011, 11:50 AM

Thermostat housing

Does anyone make (or have) the Aluminum 'J-hose' style bypass housing used up thru '70 before they switched to the cast iron 'J-pipe/straight hose' type in '71? My friend's '69 has the newer style on there and he'd like to get it back to the correct style. TIA.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Oldsdruid

You're gonna make me dig deep into the tech bulletins to find it (because I can honestly not remember which year it's in), but for the factory's intent and purpose either of the housings are fine for his car. It was sometime in early 70s they recommended changing all earlier 65-70 cars to the later style when car was in for thermostat service. I think it was about the same time they changed over to the Robertshaw thermostat and recommended replacing all the Dole flapper t-stats.

But I can understand him wanting the original installation type. It's a lot easier to deal with when the bypass hose needs replacing, but some engineer or more likely bean counter figured out the metal J was cheaper in the long run than keeping a stock of J-shaped moulded rubber hoses. The rubber hoses were kinda prone to springing leaks in their curve.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:52 PM

Thanks. He and I have the desire (some call it a curse) to have everything exactly stock and factory/showroom correct and he just bought this car and we're making a list of things that need correcting. I guess it's fine for now but we'll keep our eyes out for one.
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:36 PM

I have a straight aluminum one you can have, just send me postage. It's slightly pitted under where the inlet hose will be and painted flat black but yours if you want it. Rocketraider has a point about the cast iron ones. My 70 Toronado came with the cast iron with the J bent bypass. Can PM me for PayPal info if you want.