General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

There's OIL in that thar air cleaner!

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Unhappy There's OIL in that thar air cleaner!

My 307 V8 has been putting out an oily "mist" that collects in its air cleaner filter, something more annoying than bad as it just meant I'd have to spend another five bucks on a new one every month or so.

I assumed it was the PCV valve and asked around here if I could "do without" it, but I screwed up and called it the "EGR" instead so I didn't get any reliable answers.

[So I'll ask again, as I don't care about emissions rules, can I "stopper" the PCV system in some way? to stop the fluid-into-air-cleaner flow?]

At the time the only "fluid" in question was the vapor I could see the "chuffing" into the air cleaner housing via the tube from the valve cover when I had the housing's lid off.

Annoying, but not THAT bad.

Well, today when I go to check the air filter all hell had broken loose:

What you're seeing on the leftmost side of the air cleaner housing is nearly pure oil, pumped there--I assume--via the hose that enters the air cleaner housing right there.

I say "pure" oil because instead of the tannish/brownish fluid and vapor I found there months ago--which prompted the repair/refurb of the PCV valve and hoses at that time--it's straight-up black and thick like motor oil:

It did a number on the filter, too...

She runs fine, however, and it was only through the "routine" replacement of the air filter that I noticed the Oldsmobile version of the La Brea Tar Pits that cropped up in the air cleaner housing.

So please help asap as I KNOW this can't be good...

Thanks!
Old November 18th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

I had a ole dodge pickup that i would dump that air filter oil back into......She had 300k on her 318 2 barrel........If you locked yourself out you could just climb in thru the floorboards......

anyways the motor is getting blow by which means shes getting tired,I ended up getting rid of the tube that feeds the aircleaner pan, I put on a chrome breather and wrapped a rag around that to keep the oil from dripping on the manifolds...........Ran that way for years.
Old November 18th, 2011, 03:27 PM

You don't mention mileage - but 20 + years on those valve seals will do it!
Sounds like a internal pressure problem.
Chuck the 307 - a 350 is a bolt-in over the winter!!
Old November 18th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Certifiable car addict...

Just go the way of the old cars and run a "road draft" tube.

I had a similar issue on a high mileage diesel rabbit years ago. Unfortunately, a diesel will RUN on it's own engine oil, and cause a runaway condition. Can't shut it down once the cycle starts. You have to have a standard trans and pull it over to the side of the road and dump 5th gear to shut it down. If it's an auto trans, the only other way to shut one down is to somehow turn off the air it's breathing. Neither is a good process to have to deal with at highway speeds. I'm just lucky mine was a stick.

Ran the draft tube to fix it, and that car went another 100K miles or more.

-Jeff
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM

HAve you checked or replaced the PCV valve? Is the PCV valve installed backwards?
Is the PCV vlave port on the carb plugged up? Attach a clean section of hose to that port and blow into it with engine off. Should have very little obstruction.

HAve you done a compression check?
Old November 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM

how much oil is the engine using?
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Replace your PCV valve and make sure the hose from the PCV to the base of the carb is servicable. The hose running from the breather on the other side of the engine goes to the breather.

The alternative to your problem is to run a PCV in place of your breather, and "T" the lines to the base of the carb (you may have to get a pair that work with less vacuum) . The engine will breath thru your oil filler tube.

Or, bite the bullet and put in a set of valve guide seals. A do it your self job that runs about $20 max. Be advised though, this job usually will lead to a complete valve job, as 60% of the time you will find a blown head gasket also!

Last edited by oldcutlass; November 19th, 2011 at 06:12 AM.