General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Are there any CNC Machinists in the House?

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2012, 07:24 AM

Are there any CNC Machinists in the House?

I've got an upcoming project at school where we are using mills to machine parts. It'd like to make something either one of my cars. My Coupe, or my Oldsmobile I'm restoring.

We're using Solidworks/Camworks to do this. Looking for some simple ideas/suggestions on what to make.

Oldsmobile:
A custom valve cover(although typically stamped, I could probably make the type portion, and the sides and tig weld together.
A W-27 Rear end cover(would be an expensive block of aluminum)
A Gooseneck for the Thermostat with a tapped hole for a temp sender
A set of those grates on the hood.

My Thoughts(Genesis Coupe):
A shift **** with the wings emblem
Locking Lug Nuts. making a key too(would be cool, if I could make it work)
Wheel Cap Covers
A 19" Hyundai Wheel. (But it would be entirely Aluminum and probably would not be balanced/strong enough for DD use).

Anyone have any experience with making similar parts in Solidworks? Suggestions?
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'm a dinosaur when it comes to CNC's.
I know how to make G code on MS DOS, and run 80's/90's equipment.

I created programs for Morbidelli and Masterwood machinery for 8 years.

Along with the new machinery, comes new people to run it, however.
The millwork and casework industry isn't known for company funded trips to college.
They usually just buy the shiniest new prius and work the bugs out as they go.

A hammer is about the simplest tool there is, and people will still hit their hand.
The fact that people think the more complexities you add, the better things will be, is insane.

I'd recommend something more useful and simplistic than the aforementioned items.
Such as a set of engine side motor mounts for an oldsmobile 403 going into a 78 trans am. Where they are slightly different, and you have to think ahead a little about the stamping aspect of the project as well.....
Perhaps even mill out a simple stamping jig for the straps.
Or a 3 groove crankshaft and water pulley set. Both of these things are useful once achieved, and have a low generation of waste if unsuccessful as well.
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I'm a dinosaur when it comes to CNC's.
I know how to make G code on MS DOS, and run 80's/90's equipment.

I created programs for Morbidelli and Masterwood machinery for 8 years.

I'd recommend something more useful and simplistic than the aforementioned items.
Such as a set of engine side motor mounts for an oldsmobile 403 going into a 78 trans am. Where they are slightly different, and you have to think ahead a little about the stamping aspect of the project as well.....
Perhaps even mill out a simple stamping jig for the straps.
Or a 3 groove crankshaft and water pulley set. Both of these things are useful once achieved, and have a low generation of waste if unsuccessful as well.
I've never heard of those two programs. The school has relatively new (last couple years) 3 axis CNC mills. I thought about a pulley set, but don't they have to be balanced completely balanced in order to not cause premature wear to the water pump/other accessories. Due to this, the wheels are out.

Thanks for the input.
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:11 PM

Your brand new CNC mills or cutters still use G-code as a base. So essentially what your solidworks plm program is doing is just exporting a 3D model into simplified G-code. for the controllers to understand.

if you're taking a course, i'm sure that the professor is probably going to break down the steps and explain them so you guys can design appropriately.

That being said, W27 covers would be AWESOME.
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Here's a vid of a Morbidelli U26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQT7qw722Y8

And a Masterwood 415
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKIxpMVQT1w

That ol' U26 was the talk of the town back in 1990 LOL! Not only did it have regular vacuum pods, but shiny quick release clamps too. Wow!! (insert sarcasm here.)

It was a bitchin' way for an 18 year old punk kid like myself to make 40k a year though. I used to go to high school 8am-3pm and then work 2nd shift at the mill 4pm-3am. 4 10hr shifts, and out the door for a 3 day weekend.
Seemed like a great start to life.
14 years and 4 layoffs later, I have a different opinion now though. The world got expensive, and the pay stays the same.
All the cornfields here are now new houses with 2k per month mortgages, and it's just me in a 1943 era house, a bunch of old cars, and peanut butter and jelly in every cabinet I made.
Old January 25th, 2012, 04:17 AM

some billit emblems would be cool or what about tool for working carbs or ?