General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Texas registration & insurance?

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:03 PM

Texas registration & insurance?

Need to register my car and get insurance on my '65 442
What is the bet way to register it in Texas?
Can I register the car as a classic and still drive it regularly if I insure it like a regular car?

Thanks for the insight.
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:19 PM

Yes, get Classic Plates in Texas for no additional charge (as of last September at least) and there are no mileage restrictions. Just go down with your renewal letter and insurance.

If you get Antique plates there are mileage and mode of driving restrictions. You basically limit yourself to car shows and parades. Not really worth it.
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Yes, get Classic Plates in Texas for no additional charge

If you get Antique plates
So Texas has TWO varieties of old car/collector car license plates? "Classic" plates and "Antique" plates?

Here in Ohio we have only one version. "Historic Vehicle" plates.

Of course, everything is bigger in Texas!
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:36 AM

The TX reg rules changed back in Jan 1, 2011 so I am fuzzy what the new rules are.
The link to the TX reg site can be found here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post230602
Hope this helps.
Old March 9th, 2012, 07:13 AM

Pretty sure in Texas "Classic" is a regular registration but you pay $15 extra to get the vanity plates that say "classic car". Just in case you can't tell by looking at the car.

Antique is a limited use registration (to/from shows and repairs) and you are allowed to use vintage plates. Think that exception is or will be closed. Also may not have to display the windsheild sticker. Never heard of anyone really being questioned on usage.
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:05 PM
1971 442 conv

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Pretty sure in Texas "Classic" is a regular registration but you pay $15 extra to get the vanity plates that say "classic car". Just in case you can't tell by looking at the car.

Antique is a limited use registration (to/from shows and repairs) and you are allowed to use vintage plates. Think that exception is or will be closed. Also may not have to display the windsheild sticker. Never heard of anyone really being questioned on usage.
Rules changed this year. Unless the car is already registered as a "Classic", they are not issuing anymore new "Classic" registrations.
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:56 PM
NôôB

Is it registered to TX already? If not then when i got the rallye i had to get a safety inspection on it then transfer the title. As far as insurance with daily driving goes.... I use USAA and they only cost like 30 extra a month or something like that for the cars. If you wreck the car they go by black book value. Basically they go into the market and look for a somewhat matching car and give you money equal to that worth. Putting in mileage and condition in the worth mind you.
Old March 10th, 2012, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by hookem horns

When I got mine registered in September 2011 they weren't charging the $15 for the plates...just the normal registration fee.

Originally Posted by Texas442
Rules changed this year. Unless the car is already registered as a "Classic", they are not issuing anymore new "Classic" registrations.
Are you sure? I thought they just did away with the Year of Manufacture plates...my neighbor just had his '67 Nova registered in January with classic plates.
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:08 AM

I got curious and went to the DMV site. Looks like no cost for classic, very limited use on antique but cheap, and no mention of year of manufacture plates anymore.
http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/licens...ng/antique.htm
Old March 11th, 2012, 09:49 AM

Use of YOM plates went away. I made a fight to get them on at the last day almost. Did not cost me anything but regular reg cost. 'Classic' plates are still be avaialble.