General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Texas Car owners Classic Plates FYI

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:44 AM
NôôB

Exclamation Texas Car owners Classic Plates FYI

if you plan on getting original year plates for your car might want to hurry up before the end of the year due to new law changes...

2011 changes to YOM

From www.txlicenseplates.com:

After Jan. 1, 2011, YOM plates will only be allowed for new registration as "antique". Antique vehicle registration does not allow the car to be driven daily but only infrequently to car shows, antique shows, etc. After Jan. 1, 2011, if you want classic registration, which allows for daily driving with no restrictions, your car will have to use the state issued "specialty plate" unless you have grandfathered YOM plates. But if you buy your YOM plates now and get them registered before Jan. 1, 2011, you'll be grandfathered and can continue using them as long as you don't let your "classic" registration expire.

"Classic" registration will no longer be allowed for every-day driving.

"Antique" registration will not be affected.

You have until January 1, 2011 to have plates approved for use, but until September 1, 2011 to actually register them.

Here is a link to the law (you'll have to scroll down to Sec. 504.501)
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.504.htm

Here is the text:

Sec. 504.501. CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAVEL TRAILERS.

(a) The department shall issue specialty license plates for a motor vehicle that is

at least 25 years old. The license plates must include the word "Classic" or a similar

designation, as appropriate.
(b) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use license plates that were

issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the vehicle and are approved

by the department if the plates are approved for the vehicle before January 1, 2011.

The department may require the attachment of a registration insignia to the license

plate in a manner that does not affect the display of information originally on the

license plate.
(c) There is no fee for issuance or approval of license plates under this section.
Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1320, Sec. 6, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

Amended by: Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1136, Sec. 32, eff. September 1, 2011.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:12 AM

Looks like I need to find the original plates from my old Pinto and get them back on there. Stupid laws...
Old December 3rd, 2010, 05:31 AM
NôôB

yeah i am thinking the same thing lol. but its trying to get one on ebay and here to my house AND then to the DMV before the year ends and how much is this all going to cost me is the big question?
Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:09 AM

Thanks for the info, I've been running '71 tags for years, and want to keep them. Wonder what the 'registration insignia' will look like?
Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:40 AM

Im guessing the "registration insignia" is that little square doo-dad that you attach to the Classic plate.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:12 AM

Sicky - do you have any local junk yards around? Some of them have a collection of old plates on the wall. Hey - I think Saltgrass steakhouse does, too!
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:57 AM

Looks like I will not be able to put the original Sesquicentenial plates back on my '86 due to it being only 24 years and 364 days old by time this stupid law goes into effect!!
Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:14 AM

Aron, My '71 Texas tags are considered Classic Tags, and right now, I don't have to display the small metal tag that is on the Antique Tags. Apparently, the state wants visual proof that YOM Classic Tags have been registered, so I guess YOM classic plates will have some doodad to verify that they are legit.
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:33 AM

Several places are showing that this has been pushed back to 9/1/2011, so no rush.

Edit: Thought you might like an official reference on this:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.504.htm

Last edited by ChefDeadpool; December 7th, 2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ChefDeadpool
Several places are showing that this has been pushed back to 9/1/2011,
However, as in Sec. 504.501.b., the plates have to be 'approved' by the DMV by the latest of 1-1-11.
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:05 AM
1971 442 conv

There appears to be a LOT of confusion among the clerks working at the Texas County Clerk/DMV office.
Yesterday, I went down to my local county office and registered 3 of my cars as “Antique” with the year of manufacture plates. They insist that ALL year of manufacture plates will not be accepted after December 31st. They said that includes “Antique” registration. I mentioned the law above, and they still insist that their direction is NOT to approve any more Year of Manufacture plates after the end of the year.
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Texas442
They said that includes “Antique” registration. I mentioned the law above, and they still insist that their direction is NOT to approve any more Year of Manufacture plates after the end of the year.
I think they are wrong there - one would have to take in a copy of the law and raise heck to get a chance. There is no approval date for the antique class.
Old December 10th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Restorer

YOM Classic Plates

I have several vehicles registered with the YOM plates. The Collin County office in Frisco has allowed me in the past to either get a regular registration sticker for the windshield or to attach a small metal tag with the date on it to the top left bolt of the rear license plate. It is the size of a trailer or motorcycle sticker. It is important to not let your registration ever expire even though you may be restoring the car and not driving it or you will not be able to use those plates again when you register it. I accidentaly let my 68 C10 expire and had to really talk them into letting me register it under the old plate number, which I paid a lot for. They told me that the state was going to stop letting us use the small tags on the license plate because the Hiway Patrol wanted to see the registration sticker on the windshield so they would not think we just didn't register the vehicle. I guess seeing a classic vehicle going down the road wasn't clue enough!! From what I am reading in the new law, we can still get the small registration sticker for the plate.
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by 425HP409
I have several vehicles registered with the YOM plates. The Collin County office in Frisco has allowed me in the past to either get a regular registration sticker for the windshield or to attach a small metal tag with the date on it to the top left bolt of the rear license plate. It is the size of a trailer or motorcycle sticker. It is important to not let your registration ever expire even though you may be restoring the car and not driving it or you will not be able to use those plates again when you register it. I accidentaly let my 68 C10 expire and had to really talk them into letting me register it under the old plate number, which I paid a lot for. They told me that the state was going to stop letting us use the small tags on the license plate because the Hiway Patrol wanted to see the registration sticker on the windshield so they would not think we just didn't register the vehicle. I guess seeing a classic vehicle going down the road wasn't clue enough!! From what I am reading in the new law, we can still get the small registration sticker for the plate.
I have those small decals on both of 70 cars.

I have a pair of 1971 plates that I purchased at the the Dallas OCA. Any one interested?
Old December 21st, 2011, 06:46 PM
Banned

i hate laws. but i can't do about it but to obey it. actually even in the auto repair industries, there are such laws that limit our work. i am a texas auto mechanic.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:18 AM
Administrator

You do realize this thread is 2 years old???
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You do realize this thread is 2 years old???
Actually, just a tad over 1 year old...

It was a nostalgic reminder of the he!! I went through last year finding some decent plates at the last minute and getting them to the tax office late on 12-30 or so...
Kinda like a Blues Brother's adventure, but with no cops after me.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the thread...

I Still have the 1971 plates for sale. Any takers?
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:51 PM
1971 442 conv

Texas Year of Manufacture (YOM) License plate renewal

Has anyone renewed their YOM License plates this year? Does the county have to look at them again to make sure they are the “correct” color and condition? I'm not talking about the 4 digit State issued antique plates, but the year of manufacturer plates. Thanks..
Old March 11th, 2013, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Texas442
Has anyone renewed their YOM License plates this year? Does the county have to look at them again to make sure they are the “correct” color and condition? I'm not talking about the 4 digit State issued antique plates, but the year of manufacturer plates. Thanks..
No Ali, Once the DMV has confirmed them, the subsequent registrations can be mailed in for both antique and classic.
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:53 PM

Ali, I had to go in person and show the cars had valid insurance, and did not have to take in the plates
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
No Ali, Once the DMV has confirmed them, the subsequent registrations can be mailed in for both antique and classic.
This is what I have been doing the past several years...
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I called the Dallas County Tax office today and asked about the YOM plates. The lady said she was not aware the state was not registering these plates and checked with another person in the office who confirmed they still registered them. She said you have to bring both plates into the office to register them. I haven't tried it but this is what I was told.
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:24 AM

I just did a YOM new registration on my 67 in November in Travis county with no issues. The DMV signed off on the number and all was well.

Tim

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I called the Dallas County Tax office today and asked about the YOM plates. The lady said she was not aware the state was not registering these plates and checked with another person in the office who confirmed they still registered them. She said you have to bring both plates into the office to register them. I haven't tried it but this is what I was told.
Old March 12th, 2013, 03:07 PM

YOM plates

I registered my 1969 TX plates in early 2011 and since then have just sent in the annual renewals via mail.