General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Technicians

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2023, 05:40 AM

Technicians

Just curious: How many of us are mechanics/ technicians??
How many have been doing it most of your life and are still into cars/ drag racing?
Old November 12th, 2023, 07:53 AM

I’m a backyard mechanic, have done all my own automotive work since high school.
Old November 12th, 2023, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I’m a backyard mechanic, have done all my own automotive work since high school.
Cool!
Old November 12th, 2023, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Most of us are still into cars or we wouldn't be here. Growing up we had a family gas station with 2 bays and leased the rear part of the building to a body shop. I've done a stint in auto restoration back in the 80's and have been working cars as a hobby most of my life. I have not been to a dragstrip for probably 30 years. Englishtown Raceway was my second home back in the mid to late 70's.

Last edited by oldcutlass; November 12th, 2023 at 08:44 AM.
Old November 12th, 2023, 08:39 AM
Phantom Phixer

I started out working after school as a mechanic's helper, and floorsweeper at Chevy, Pontiac, & Buick agency at age 16 in 1966.
I remember doing pre-delivery inspections on GTO's and Z-28"S.
After that I spent 4 & 1/2 years in the Air Force as a jet fighter mechanic .
Then I worked at various automotive jobs including automotive machine work. Until 1985.
I worked repairing heavy duty trucks and buses until I retired in 2012.
Presently, I'm doing a nut and bolt restoration on a 1963 Dynamic 88 Holiday Coupe.
1963 Dynamic 88 2dr hdtp. restoration - ClassicOldsmobile.com
Old November 12th, 2023, 09:14 AM

Oldsguy taught me the basics and I learned how to turn a wrench. During college I majored in automotive management and learned more extensive automotive skills. After college instead of working for a dealership I enlisted and learned electronics as a radar repairer. For a time I was an electronics technician for the FAA (that's planes, not cows). Now I teach electronics, specifically radios.

My jalopies have always been a hole in the ground I shovel money into, especially recently.
Old November 12th, 2023, 12:55 PM

One of my uncles was an electronic technician with the FAA. He was in Puerto Rico initially for a few years then at IAH until he retired.
Old November 12th, 2023, 01:12 PM

Nope. I'm an ex-stereo and alarm installer, then putting in time at the phone company. I do my own stunts on vehicles.
Old November 12th, 2023, 03:36 PM
Oldsdruid

Even after two years of automotive tech school and placing in the 1975 Virginia State Plymouth Troubleshooting Contest, once I hit the real world I quickly realized dealing with the public wasn't (and still isn't) my strong suit.

At least at the power company I knew who my idiots and ******** were, instead of having to deal with a new set every day.

Buddy tried to convince me to come work part time at the Advance Auto he managed. I told him "you realize I'd come over the counter at some of these people, right?"
Old November 12th, 2023, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Even after two years of automotive tech school and placing in the 1975 Virginia State Plymouth Troubleshooting Contest, once I hit the real world I quickly realized dealing with the public wasn't (and still isn't) my strong suit.

At least at the power company I knew who my idiots and ******** were, instead of having to deal with a new set every day.

Buddy tried to convince me to come work part time at the Advance Auto he managed. I told him "you realize I'd come over the counter at some of these people, right?"
I worked at auto parts stores through high school and college and can 100% relate to this.
Old November 12th, 2023, 04:18 PM

I worked at an O'Reilly's Auto Parts one summer when I was in college. I'd thought I might do it again after retiring from the FAA, but I probably wouldn't be able to deal with the baloney for very long.🤔
Old November 12th, 2023, 04:35 PM

I am a car builder by profession.
Old November 12th, 2023, 05:26 PM

I had some auto tech training after high school. I spent most of working life in public transportation working on buses and subway cars. I do almost all of my own repairs but I’m slowly breaking down and getting tired of it. Lol
Old November 12th, 2023, 08:43 PM
72Cutlass S

I have been a “Professional Technician” working for several Ford dealerships from 1986 to 2008 and had achieved ASE Master technician and Ford Senior master technician status in that time along with being a certified smog technician in California. Then I got trained on diesel engine technology and fell in love with the simplicity of diesel engines and have been working on them ever since. I still do most of my own work. But at 62 I am starting to farm out the stuff I don't want to to do. It helps that I have good friend that owns a light duty diesel and gas engine repair shop so I can have his guys do the stuff I don’t want to do. I still love working on the classic cars and help as many friends as I can.
Old November 12th, 2023, 09:46 PM

I took 2 years of automotive service technology class in high school, took second place in the state troubleshooting contest my senior year. Took 3rd Place in the Plymouth troubleshooting contest. Then went on to GM ASEP program, graduated and worked in a couple Buick and Cadillac dealerships.

After all that schooling, you would have thought I’d have learned working on cars for a living SUCKS! Couldn’t pay me enough to turn wrenches for a living.

Spent the last 26 years working in a factory.

Cars are great as a hobby, terrible way to make a living
Old November 13th, 2023, 03:32 AM
Past Administrator

Sadly I am not a professional mechanic/technician which I think is what you were asking. But, I have been turning wrenches on cars since I was 16, now at 68 I am frustrated to have lost more knowledge than I wish and my body cannot do what it used to do (upside down on front seat with arms up into the dash of a car to retrieve/repair a front speaker or such).
Old November 13th, 2023, 04:20 AM

I have been working on cars right out of high school, many, many classes of tech training, I am also certified as a ASE master tech in all area's of repair. doing this for 5O yrs now. The industry & [customers 's] have really changed since I started out....
I have to say, I still enjoy solving a problem child car that has gone from shop to shop.. this job keeps you humble I must say !!

Last edited by zl1 camaro; November 16th, 2023 at 05:34 AM.
Old November 13th, 2023, 05:19 AM

After realizing that a degree in Psychology didn't mean much in the real world, I took on a couple jobs, just to pay back student loans. But my hobby of working on old cars, gave me an edge when I got into Exxon Research and Engineering. Worked in the Test Car Lab for 14 years there, before they dissolved my division. Then another 18 years at Engelhard/BASF's engine lab, where we did work on developing catalytic converters, and later, catalyst systems for trucks (DEF and more). But all the while I was working part time in my own shop, building hot rods and custom cars. Now retired from the 9-5, but going on 48 years building cool cars!
Old November 14th, 2023, 08:59 AM

My dad got me a ford wagon with a 289 as a first nice safe car , But a week later a buddy and I spotted a 1965 mustang with a blown motor for $50.00 on the side of the road and he said You know same engines. The mustang was up and running the next day and my dad was pissed. I still have those tools and many more now.

Old November 14th, 2023, 10:09 AM

Tinkered with cars in HS at shop class.
Went on to Rhode Island Trade Shop School for a 10-month auto mechanic/drinking program.
Got my first Job at a Mercedes Saab dealer in 83 for a whopping $6 bucks an hr.
Spent a couple of years there, looking over at the 400lb old timer puffing away on his cig leaning on the fender barely able to breathe I decided this I did not want this to be me.
Spent another couple of years at college, only to end up working in lighting for my father-in-law.
Did a mini restore on my 70 cutlass vert in the late 90's
Taught myself to program in the early nineties and have been doing that since.
Started my full restore in 2020.
Old November 14th, 2023, 10:25 AM
Stuck in the 80's

Its always been a serious hobby for me, Fortunate to be in high school from 78-82 when muscle cars were abundant and you had to learn to work on them to keep them running. Dad was an electrician so grew up wiring houses with him on weekends for extra money. Air force avionics tech from 84-92 and then jumped into manufacturing, so always had a mechanical / electrical aspect to my life even though I have a desk job now.

Wouldn't trade it for anything. Just would have kept all those cars I bought and sold for a 1000 bucks back in the 80's , early 90's....

Old November 14th, 2023, 01:18 PM

Working on car since 16 (1973). Kid, very little money. My Dad give me his 66 Malibu that would not start. Got a carb rebuild kit, which back then had everything. Rebuilt it, bought my first tools. TRW flare wrench set, still have today. It was nice to sit on the inner wheel fender and work on the V6. I miss that.

Getting my parents 70 Buick GS 350 in 1985. And rebuild it. Wish I never give it to my nephew. Work on many 60's, 70's, 80' cars. To make some side money. Outboard, motorcycle, lawn, even WV engines. Growing up in the muscle car years. I love then all, but the late 1984-85 GN, H/O , Seville were my favorite. Still turning wrenches, but its getting harder.
Old November 14th, 2023, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
t was nice to sit on the inner wheel fender and work on the V6.
6 yes.
V no.
Old November 14th, 2023, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
6 yes.
V no.
Inline yes.
Old November 14th, 2023, 08:17 PM

I got certified in Auto Body Repair and Refinishing at the Vo-Tech while in HS, and got a job in a phord dealer body shop for about a year right out of HS. My buddies took Auto Mechanics. We traded labor and learned each others' skills. I left that business when AT&T hired me to be a comm tech, but have been doing my own mechanic'ing and body work for the past 45 years. I'm not happy unless I can spend time getting my hands dirty. I hate having to spend money paying someone to do something I can do myself, and know if it gets screwed up it's my fault - and a Learning Opportunity. I'm happy to say I've done all the mechanical and body work on all my Olds', and a year ago completed for the first time with no help a limited slip differential rebuild and gear swap. No slop and no chatter!