General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Tariffs coming on old car parts?

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2018, 06:29 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Tariffs coming on old car parts?

I read an article on the possibility of tariffs on after market parts from overseas. I lost the article. They are trying to get old cars exempt but having trouble and don't know if they will. One problem is due to barrett-jackson all old cars are built by the rich. Something to keep your eye on. Maybe if you are looking for somethings plan on getting them sooner rather than later.
Old August 8th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Hmmmm, I don't consider myself rich...
Old August 8th, 2018, 06:47 PM

I guess I should be ok. Nearly nothing is available repop for my cars, lol Weather stripping and brake lines are made here in the USA for my cars so safe there... If repop prices do go up then NOS is also going to go up. Would not be good for the hobby but I would bet this will all settle down soon.
Old August 8th, 2018, 06:59 PM

Tariffs encourage native US manufacture. More USA quality repros would be a good thing.
Old August 8th, 2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Tariffs encourage native US manufacture. More USA quality repros would be a good thing.
You mean parts would actually fit as they should?

Old August 8th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Fun71
Or work as they should out of the box or wrapper ?
Old August 8th, 2018, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Maybe. I know Toyota is up in arms to try to get all of its workers to speak out against the tariffs. They even got some people to pose with cars and look pissed, like group shots of serious young professionals.

Even if I liked the way the company was treating right now, my politics are my own business, not my employer's.
Old August 8th, 2018, 10:16 PM

I read that on the internet tonight. Smacked of BS to me because they said it had to do with national security. If a politician or the media is involved nothing surprises me. Could be scare tactics or a reason to vote someone out depending on how it actually plays out. Internet and media stories have a way of stirring up people on things that may never happen.
Old August 8th, 2018, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
Internet and media stories have a way of stirring up people on things that may never happen.
If its on the internet, it must be true.<--HUMOR A lot of things are theorized that NEVER happen. These crazy things are dreamed up, most of the time, by people that have to much time on their hands.

Old August 8th, 2018, 11:54 PM

I don't care how it plays out for the Foreign parts makers!.Let them eat there parts! I'm all for any and all items being made in America again. I hope every foreign car manufacture in this country goes out! It's time to return to common sense in this country. Why in the Hell would we be making Foreign cars in the USA anyway for Foreign companies to make big profits! They get more $ incentives and tax credits than USA Manufactures! To hell with that. I'll gladly pay more for anything made in the USA!
Old August 9th, 2018, 01:14 AM

Hm.
Who cares about the owner as long as the car/part is built in US by american workers and save american jobs ?
Who cares which investment or hedge fond company (ALL OEM´s are meanwhile share holders companies) is in the end the owner ?
Regardless if it is GM, BMW or Mercedes.
For me it is just important that the parts/cars are built in my own country and that they have a good quality.
Old August 9th, 2018, 02:17 AM

Chrome repop parts are simply not going to be made here in the USA.
Old August 9th, 2018, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
I don't care how it plays out for the Foreign parts makers!.Let them eat there parts! I'm all for any and all items being made in America again. I hope every foreign car manufacture in this country goes out! It's time to return to common sense in this country. Why in the Hell would we be making Foreign cars in the USA anyway for Foreign companies to make big profits! They get more $ incentives and tax credits than USA Manufactures! To hell with that. I'll gladly pay more for anything made in the USA!
The reason we do it is to employ US citizens. The reason they do it is because it is cheaper to make the cars over here that sell over here. It is win-win. Like Levellord said, all tier one automotive companies are publicly traded, which means the "owners" of the company are the stock holders. The owners of the company are not the CEO, President, and board of directors, and it is wrong to think of where that office building is as what nationality the company is, as they are all global. The proof in the pudding is when people are like "Raaaah, Raaaaah, Ford is MURICAN!" "Uh, your Ford was made 100% in Mexico, bro." "DURRRR, It's still MURICAN!!!" Considering that one could apply Trump's wonderful description of most third world countries to most of Detroit and surrounding areas, I don't think the Big 3 has been doing the US any favors, either. While I would prefer "the imports" to have a small market share; I will not "buy American" when the big 3 outsources manufacture to the third world and quality suffers. I look for appeal and suitability for the car first, then quality, then US parts content and US assembly percentage. Then I look at who makes it last when considering a car.

For instance, if Toyota brings out the Supra, I will look at it. I don't care that it is Toyota. But, it better be either cheaper than a Corvette, or faster than a Corvette, or I will buy that Chevrolet instead.
Old August 9th, 2018, 08:55 AM

The return of auto parts manufacturing to the U.S. is not going to happen any time soon. It would take years to re-establish manufacturing capability in the U.S., and this trade war with China going on now is likely to be short-lived. Even WITH the tariffs, it's still probably cheaper to build the parts in China and sell them here than it would be to start making them here again. As soon as the trade war ended, and it will eventually, all of the manufacturing capability re-established here would suddenly become economically non-competitive again. No company is going to take that chance.
Old August 9th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
I read an article on the possibility of tariffs on after market parts from overseas. I lost the article. They are trying to get old cars exempt but having trouble and don't know if they will. One problem is due to barrett-jackson all old cars are built by the rich. Something to keep your eye on. Maybe if you are looking for somethings plan on getting them sooner rather than later.
Larry, nothing will be exempted. Soon as you exempt one group you have to look at exempting another, and another, and another....you get the idea. I think that as soon as the tariff issue is resolved things will just go back to normal, or maybe a bit more expensive than they were since there will be costs incurred on parts brought in from out of country. If you lived in Canada you would feel even more pressure since we also get dinged with $ conversion and huge shipping. As Dan pointed out, this isn't going to change the balance of power even after the tariff war is over.
Old August 9th, 2018, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
Why in the Hell would we be making Foreign cars in the USA anyway for Foreign companies to make big profits! They get more $ incentives and tax credits than USA Manufactures! To hell with that. I'll gladly pay more for anything made in the USA!
Your argument is completely nonsensical. "Foreign" cars are ALREADY made in the U.S. Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Mercedes, to name a few, have had assembly plants in the U.S. for many years, some going back as far as the 1970s. These companies are foreign-owned, yes, but they employ American workers. So what's better to buy, a Ford Fusion assembled in Hermosillo, Mexico by Mexican citizens or a Honda Accord assembled in East Liberty, Ohio, a Nissan Rogue assembled in Smyrna, Tennessee, or a Volkswagen Passat assembled in Chattanooga, Tennessee, all by American citizens?
Old August 9th, 2018, 09:12 AM

Keep in mind also that just because a tariff is imposed on an imported product doesn't mean the increased cost will be passed on to the consumer or passed on completely. Vendors may choose to absorb all or some of the increased cost to keep their prices competitive. No one wins in a trade war, but the logic in engaging in one with China has some merit. That country has long exercised unfair trade practices against us that the U.S., until now, as been unwilling to confront. But China has a very lopsided trade balance with the U.S., so theoretically they stand to lose more than we do. But, we get so many products from China that it will hurt us, too.
Old August 9th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Not to mention that Ford and GM also created factories offshore for their products primarily due to the cost of labor domestically. I understand their financial reason, but don't condone their political practice and impact on the domestic marketplace. The vehicles they make offshore should face tariffs when they come ashore; that's only fair. I don't agree there should be a tariff issue between USA and Canada. We are neighbor countries that should work well together and share in the market of goods without penalties. Isn't gov't wonderful deciding how each side gets screwed?
Old August 9th, 2018, 09:23 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by jaunty75
The return of auto parts manufacturing to the U.S. is not going to happen any time soon. It would take years to re-establish manufacturing capability in the U.S., and this trade war with China going on now is likely to be short-lived. Even WITH the tariffs, it's still probably cheaper to build the parts in China and sell them here than it would be to start making them here again. As soon as the trade war ended, and it will eventually, all of the manufacturing capability re-established here would suddenly become economically non-competitive again. No company is going to take that chance.
Most of what you have stated is true. The cost of mfg in China is, and has been, increasing dramatically as their economy grows by leaps and bounds. There has been some swing in moving mfg back from China, but very small at this point.

You are SPOT ON with your first sentence. Re-establishing mfg in the US would take years, not to mention a change in the mindset of the younger generation. Vocational training programs in high schools need to be brought back. How many of us had shop class in jr high / middle school? Probably a high percentage of us that are members here. How many of our kids had it? Probably a really small %. These programs have to be restarted and emphasized. And, we need to stop expecting laborers, especially skilled labor, to work for peanuts.
Old August 9th, 2018, 09:32 AM

As you might have noticed I live in Germany. I work in automotive business in a middle–sized company. We run 3 plants in US, 2 in Michigan and one in Alabama. All this tariff stuff between EU and US is in my opinion nonsense for both parties. I totally agree that the China politic with all their governmental help must be equalized in some way. But taking us as an example, we have ca. 1500 american employes and we have to import our raw material as it is not available in US. All those jobs are now in danger as the additional costs will not been overtaken by the OEMs. So who is the winner of this ??? Sorry, but I had to say this.
Old August 9th, 2018, 10:09 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Good, then it will work as intended(tariffs). We dont need anymore non compliant, ill fitting, lose to zero GD&T offshore chineasium junk. We need a little pocket book pain to straighten it out and bring it back home where it should have never left. Global economy is good when its balanced and the quality is somewhat equal. Substandard junk just wastes resources, money,my time and risks my safety.
Germany and other EU countries are noted for high quality. Japan is as well. All others have a long way to go, and I dont mind that. But I am concerned for situations like yours levelord as my company is based in France. Too bad we will have to make the high quality manufactures like ours suffer. I dont have a good answer for that. Collateral damage?

Last edited by droldsmorland; August 9th, 2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old August 9th, 2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Your argument is completely nonsensical. "Foreign" cars are ALREADY made in the U.S. Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Mercedes, to name a few, have had assembly plants in the U.S. for many years, some going back as far as the 1970s. These companies are foreign-owned, yes, but they employ American workers. So what's better to buy, a Ford Fusion assembled in Hermosillo, Mexico by Mexican citizens or a Honda Accord assembled in East Liberty, Ohio, a Nissan Rogue assembled in Smyrna, Tennessee, or a Volkswagen Passat assembled in Chattanooga, Tennessee, all by American citizens?
Wow... thanks for the news that Foreign cars are made here. If you hadn't told me that, I would have never have know.!!! Do me a favor and have someone teach you some reading and comprehension skills. Then read my post again. My post was about parts and I added the manufacture of Foriegn cars being made here as well. American workers should be making American Cars in America, get it! There is a reason Olds and Pontiac are gone and the Foreign car manufactures have risen to the heights that they have. And as far as the USA manufactures like Ford and GM having parts and cars made outside the USA, that is another argument all together that will hopefully be changing soon.

Old August 9th, 2018, 10:14 AM

No politics please.