General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Sure glad I am not a Chevy guy and on Chevy forums

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2018 | 08:54 AM

Sure glad I am not a Chevy guy and on Chevy forums

I do Google searches often for Jetfire stuff and then make it for the past week to see what pops up. I found a thread yesterday on a Chevelle forum about my car so I joined up to give them more information about it. I made a simple post with a couple links to my You Tube videos. Then I noticed another guy on the thread mentioned that he had a couple Jetfire engines. He did not say they were for sale, just that he had them. I made a second post asking if he wanted to let go of any of the Jetfire stuff. I just got a nasty PM saying they will not tolerate me doing business in anything other than the classified section and a second PM with someone posting rules that I can not place adds on the discussion threads. Good grief, what a way to welcome someone. I simply ask the guy if he want to let go of something that he said he had...

Sure glad I am an Oldsmobile guy
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 08:57 AM

If this site ever gets that bad, I will be gone in a hurry
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
If this site ever gets that bad, I will be gone in a hurry
There are plenty of forum police here too.
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 10:04 AM

I joined a Chevy board to ask some Monte Carlo questions. Some poster named Jody said something, so I thanked her and said ma'am. Apparently, said poster was a dude (this was before the whole gender wars thing) and my crap got jumped, hard, even though Jody is a chick's name. Never went back.

Car forums (and gun forums) fall to one side or the other of a peak of balance. Either anything goes, like yellowbullet, and they're a bunch of 25 year old poon chasers, or it goes like the first gen monte carlo forums, and everyone is at least 50, 3 kids, and Baptist.
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 11:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

I just got a nasty PM saying they will not tolerate me doing business in anything other than the classified section and a second PM with someone posting rules that I can not place adds on the discussion threads. Good grief, what a way to welcome someone. I simply ask the guy if he want to let go of something that he said he had...

Sure glad I am an Oldsmobile guy
I had a similar experience on a Pontiac site. I have a particular Pontiac part I want to sell, so I joined the site just for that purpose. Their forum rules don't allow you to post a classified unless you have made 10 posts in the regular forums. I PM'ed a mod, explained that I don't own a Pontiac and just wanted to sell this one item, then I'd be gone. Nope, no such luck.
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 12:35 PM

I am sure we have some "fragile ego's" and" unique personalities" on here too. I try to overlook those. We also have some fine people who post solid information and help. All in all,,we have a pretty nice site. Thank you to all those good people.
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 12:39 PM
Lansing built

Un-related to auto forums, I too belong to trip advisor Maui forum. We had a newbie with less than 70 posts, with one click for inappropriate post for the DE (destination expert) who actually lives on the island and has helped 1000's of travelers and over 72,000 post for being snarkey was banned??? I know it takes 3 complaints, but give me a break! That person that did the final complaint actually was daring enough to admit to it. People came down hard and actually several posts/threads came to defend the DE and were immediately closed or deleted by TA's sensors.

This lady, was my go to person for information about anything for Maui and answered several PM's without hesitation! To say the least, I am not happy camper right now.
TA has no real e-mail or phone # to plead my case to! Contact is through ask a question on their contact us.

Pat
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 01:09 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

It takes all kinds to make up a world!
Boils down to the group or board owner and what they feel is right or wrong.
I have a bunch of early 70's Thunderbird parts I would like to sell.
I opened an ad in a T-Bird group on FB with over 30 pictures of all my parts,another guy comes along and opens a short ad without any pics telling people to check out my pics and he has everything I have and to contact him.
I contact the group admin to ask that they remove the other guys ad because he should not have made reference to my ad and pics.
The group admin thought this practice was acceptable so I removed my ad.
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 02:17 PM

I just got another PM. He said that I am not allowed to ask about parts that another member said he has extra. They consider that an ad places. I am likely going to get kicked off because I am going to reply on the thread that I am sorry for asking about that guys parts and that I will not make the mistake again of asking him if he would sell them.
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 02:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

I just got another PM. He said that I am not allowed to ask about parts that another member said he has extra. They consider that an ad places. I am likely going to get kicked off because I am going to reply on the thread that I am sorry for asking about that guys parts and that I will not make the mistake again of asking him if he would sell them.
I'm guessing this guy also runs his local HOA...
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I had a similar experience on a Pontiac site. I have a particular Pontiac part I want to sell, so I joined the site just for that purpose. Their forum rules don't allow you to post a classified unless you have made 10 posts in the regular forums. I PM'ed a mod, explained that I don't own a Pontiac and just wanted to sell this one item, then I'd be gone. Nope, no such luck.
I used to be a moderator on a Pontiac forum that had a very similar rule. The reason for the rule was we only wanted members on there that had a few posts so we can build some trust, a lot of fly-by-night people would come on there trying to sell parts they didn't have or fake parts.
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 02:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 61Bat
I used to be a moderator on a Pontiac forum that had a very similar rule. The reason for the rule was we only wanted members on there that had a few posts so we can build some trust, a lot of fly-by-night people would come on there trying to sell parts they didn't have or fake parts.
I understand that, which is why I explained to the moderator exactly what the situation was. I was not selling a rare, coveted item - it was an aftermarket aluminum radiator for a GTO for cryin' out loud. Again, I explained that, along with the fact that I do not own a Pontiac and thus had no reason to be a long-term member of their site. Frankly, if someone came here with that story, I'd approve their post no problem.
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 02:46 PM

a.k.a. "Neighborhood ****"
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 02:50 PM
Administrator

I am a member of few forums including the one that jensenracing77 mentioned. All forums have rules and they are expected to be read and adhered to. All they want to do is keep the classifieds in the classified section. Why poke the hornets nest. I would venture to guess that the warning was aimed at both of you. Moderators on here and other sites volunteer their time to help run the sites. If you want to find out about extra parts I would assume a pm would have worked just as well.
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 03:54 PM

I understand that, which is why I explained to the moderator exactly what the situation was. I was not selling a rare, coveted item - it was an aftermarket aluminum radiator for a GTO for cryin' out loud. Again, I explained that, along with the fact that I do not own a Pontiac and thus had no reason to be a long-term member of their site. Frankly, if someone came here with that story, I'd approve their post no problem.

As with most rules it came up as a matter of necessity after we had some issues. Traffic on this particular site was very slow compared to this one though so it was easy to moderate. Most problems were with new members mostly and scammers on the FS pages. Not to say everyone trying to sell something is a scam artist but the "regulars" on there kept a pretty close eye on the fs pages to ensure no cars/parts were misrepresented.
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I am a member of few forums including the one that jensenracing77 mentioned. All forums have rules and they are expected to be read and adhered to. All they want to do is keep the classifieds in the classified section. Why poke the hornets nest. I would venture to guess that the warning was aimed at both of you. Moderators on here and other sites volunteer their time to help run the sites. If you want to find out about extra parts I would assume a pm would have worked just as well.
Sure it would have. I just did not know what I asked was an ad listing. After getting PM'd from two members and one of them being crappy, you bet I am going to poke the hornets nest, it is just to fun... No need for me to be there in the first place other than to talk Jetfire. I sure as heck don't want a Chevelle.
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 07:11 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I ran into the same problem on a large format photography forum. I was going to sell some equipment but need 10 posts. So I did 10 posts 1, 2 Nothing but the numbers. They still deleted my post for the equipment. Didn't like my attitude.
Old September 3rd, 2018 | 08:44 PM

No need for me to be there in the first place other than to talk Jetfire. I sure as heck don't want a Chevelle

I can see your Jetfire now, black Chevelle stripes on the trunk...

Don W
Old September 4th, 2018 | 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Shifty Sidney
No need for me to be there in the first place other than to talk Jetfire. I sure as heck don't want a Chevelle

I can see your Jetfire now, black Chevelle stripes on the trunk...

Don W
lol
Old September 4th, 2018 | 06:00 AM

That's a bummer you had a bad experience.
Old September 4th, 2018 | 06:48 AM
delete

This came up on 442.com a while ago before its current hiatus, before a proliferation of docs being available online. Somebody was looking for a particular page from an Assembly Manual. I told them I'd E-Mail it to them and if they wanted a disc with an electronic copy of the whole manual I'd send them one for $10, just to cover my time & costs. I got a nasty E-Mail saying if I do it again I'd be BANNED FOR LIFE. Their caps, not mine. I offered to send them $2.
Old September 4th, 2018 | 07:18 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I'm guessing this guy also runs his local HOA...
Great analogy. Just a bunch of power hungry control freaks. Just be glad you don't have to work with these jackasses.
Old September 4th, 2018 | 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Great analogy. Just a bunch of power hungry control freaks. Just be glad you don't have to work with these jackasses.
Well said Glen, and sorry about the BS Eric. This is something near and dear to me - I've had more than a few run ins in the car hobby with people who get a position of authority and horribly misuse it.

I have been able to make a great life for my family and self by adhereing to one principle - The Ultimate Use Of Power Is To Serve People. Blinding flash of the obvious right? Not so much for the "HOA police" just dying to tell someone what to do and be shielded by being "in the right".
Old September 4th, 2018 | 10:12 AM

Off topic: I hate HOAs. I am working on trying to kill Bambi behind my house. So it's archery, as to not offend the HOA.
Old September 4th, 2018 | 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Off topic: I hate HOAs. I am working on trying to kill Bambi behind my house. So it's archery, as to not offend the HOA.
Like I told my wife.... If I can't go out on my FRONT yard and pee in the open, we can't live there. There is no way I could live in an HOA with all my junk around.
Old September 4th, 2018 | 11:47 AM
Jeff

A former member of my HOA board turned me in to the township compliance office for parking on the grass at the end of my driveway, despite the vehicle being operational and registration current. Made sure to go to the next mtg and call him out for being an a-hole.

Last edited by Weezer; September 5th, 2018 at 07:45 AM. Reason: grammar me wrote gud
Old September 4th, 2018 | 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
A former member of my HOA board turned me in to the township compliance office for parking on the grass at the end of my driveway, despite the vehicle being operational and registration current. Made sure to go to the next mtg and call them him for being an a-hole.

i had a few run-ins with my HOA before we moved (it was the wife’s house while we were dating) my first was when I decided to seal and paint the garage floor, needless to say the garage needed to be empty. On a Friday afternoon emptied the garage, washed the floor well. Saturday, washed the floor with the acid to etch the concret, the plan was to let it dry and paint Sunday. Mr **** HOA guy said this stuff can’t be left outside, like I would really leave my welder, toolboxes, air compressor, etc for weeks on end. Once I explained the situation, he reluctantly backed off.

Run-in number 2: went to the Olds race in Norwalk, did surprisingly well and got home late (around midnight) left the car and trailer parked in front of the house with plans to move the next morning. Keep in mind, I don’t park the trailer at the house. Mr. **** HOA president says I can’t park my truck and trailer here. I inform him it’s my truck, trailer, car, all registered and titled in my name, with current plates parked on a public street.

There were other minor occurrences, each more petty than the previous. Could not WAIT to get out of there.
Old September 4th, 2018 | 06:26 PM

HOA got after my neighbor about his camper being parked in the driveway.....so he moved it. Parked it in the street right across from the HOA officers driveway. Totally legal now.